Quantcast
Recommended OSX for running Logic Pro 9 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommended OSX for running Logic Pro 9
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After testing for a couple of weeks on an external drive, I migrated to 10.8.3 with no issues.

Early 2011 MBP.

Old 30th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I ran Lion and ML for a while, but went back to SL 10.6.8. Much more stable and smooth running logic 9.1.8. ML just feels like an unfinished, rushed out OS to me. To many recurring issues with a diversity of applications.
Old 1st May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
SL 10.6.8 for me too. Solid as a rock.
Old 1st May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A440 ➑️
SL 10.6.8 for me too. Solid as a rock.
Thanks for the input, all. Sticking with 10.6.8 until further notice, and updating to 9.1.8 this week. Logic's updates are so infrequent these days, I feel like I should hold some sort of ceremony.
Old 1st May 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
On 10.6.8 with Logic pro 9.1.8

copy the old Logic icon into a safe place just in case if you do switch up versions....i never do..but i really should as old versions are gold dust.
Old 6th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Logic 9.1.8 on SL 10.6.8.
iMac 27" early 2011, quad core i5 2,8ghz, 8Gb Ram.

I tested many times moving to Lion, ML, and then back to SL.
Nothing to do: Logic is WELL supported ONLY by Snow Leopard. To move forward is only a risk for stability and for the "smoot" feeling of Logic, nowadays.
Old 6th May 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Mountain Lion OS has an upgrade 10.8-3 (12D78), which is later than your 10.8.2, and it works fine for my iMac with Logic Pro 9 and also GarageBand; no latency issues. Recommend that you try this upgrade before you toss in the towel.
Old 6th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FWIW my vote goes to 10.6.8 too. Runs very smoothly in my studio.
Old 6th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wells ➑️
Mountain Lion OS has an upgrade 10.8-3 (12D78), which is later than your 10.8.2, and it works fine for my iMac with Logic Pro 9 and also GarageBand; no latency issues. Recommend that you try this upgrade before you toss in the towel.

I certainly also tried 10.8.3.
It works well, up to 10 minutes.
#fail
Old 6th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you have to run 10.7 or newer, 10.8.3 is definitely the best of those options. But if you're on 10.6.8, I'd still stick with it for now unless something else requires you to upgrade. If Logic 10 requires something newer, or a newer version of OSX ends up running better, you can cross that bridge when you get to it.
Old 17th May 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm running Logic 9.1.8 on a 12-core with OS X 10.7.5 and everything is smooth. No GUI lag.
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Finally got around to updating to 9.1.8, and everything's running well so far. But most importantly, I still get to experience that warm, fuzzy feeling every time the 32-bit AU bridge crashes. Nice to see that Apple holds on to some traditions.
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I recommend 10.6.8.

I have my 'main' SSD with 10.8.3/9.1.8 and as much as i want to love it, the lag is killing me too (slightly better than 10.8.2... although now i can't use Waves MPX anymore). Even when there's no lag, the framerate still sucks. I have a 2008 Mac Pro 8 core with an nVidia 8800GT. 10.8 is generally a pretty cool OS, otherwise.

I still have a 10.6.8 partition and it works great, until Logic/OSX works better with my system. i usually start songs in 10.8, and then boot into 10.6 if i need to use MPX on a project, or the lag gets too much (or need to work with video, in Logic)
Old 5th June 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Logic 9.1.8 on a 8-core with OS X 10.6.8, everything ok.
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
9.1.8 Logic and Protools 9 running on 10.6.8 here on 2008 iMac. Solid as a rock. Making music with clients and no plans to upgrade just yet.
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Have just updated to Mountain Lion's latest and possible final last completed build -10.8.4.
Using Logic Pro 9.1.8 on 8 core early 2009 Mac Pro

So far so good!

Will keep ya updated how it goes.

Noodlez.
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've only checked one session - but I think 10.8.4 is helping with the hanging issue. Framerate is still crappy, but major no hangs so far. 2008 Mac Pro.

Haven't tried Waves MPX yet!
Old 6th June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This is interesting. Running Logic on 9.1.8 on ML 10.8.3 no problems Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.3ghz i7 have not updated to 10.8.4 yet. Have a full version of SL here if I need it. Though I believe I would have to setup a script to trick the computer into reverting back to SL.
Old 6th June 2013 | Show parent
TNM
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFire Records ➑️
I ran Lion and ML for a while, but went back to SL 10.6.8. Much more stable and smooth running logic 9.1.8. ML just feels like an unfinished, rushed out OS to me. To many recurring issues with a diversity of applications.

absolutely. Such a horrible OS. I've never seen a 2011 quad i7 with a 7200 drive brought to such a crawl on so many occasions. I love the one where you just go to move a file sometimes and it takes 10 minutes. LOL.

Snow leopard on my imac. Nothing will ever change that. Not even the new plugins coming out that require 10.7.5 +

whichever plug in dev stops snow support it's their loss IMO.

10.8.3 is still so laggy, the framerate is so horrible, it makes logic feel like slude.

Just load a couple plugs with analysers to see what i mean, or one instance of slate VTM with the gui open. Often the mouse clicks don't even respond.
I am sure logic X is going to change everything, and won't even work on Snow leopard,

But for me, i use this machine and a perfect working logic 9 till the machine literally explodes or is beyond repair
Old 6th June 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM ➑️
But for me, i use this machine and a perfect working logic 9 till the machine literally explodes or is beyond repair
Exactly. Me too. Protools 9 also.
Old 15th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Devastated by lag

I am utterly devastated at the state of Apple's new operating system and logic's integration.

I own a 8-core mid 2010 mac pro, 10 gig ram, running mountain lion (10.8.4) and LP9.1.8 and I had really bad lag when using EQ, Metering or analyzers. The funny thing about it is that the processors don't even reach halfway up on the processor meter, nor does the hard-drive really kick up, yet there is lag as clear as day and utterly unacceptable and ultimately unworkable.

Makes you wonder how apple can release a system requirements sheet stating that yo can run ML & LP9 on a mid 2010 mac pro and forget to add "oh by the way, you can run it but you probably won't want to, so rather just stick to what u have been using... cause logic will lagg."

I then tried Logic pro x, hoping and praying that they had fixed this issue. The lag on all the stock plugs from logic x were now solved and sorted...great I thought, this must be the moment when things finally get back on track... but alas... my joy was short lives cause while working on a full project I started to pick up serious lag once more in a plug in like Melodyne. I use melodyne a hell of a lot and if I can't run it properly the whole DAW is unusable for me. I would also pick up delay stop time when playing back the whole song in logic... and also delayed stop time in melodyne. I'm not unrealistic hear, I really tried ignoring all the delays in GUI and Play stop time and I just can't handle it, you keep getting distracted by the machine and it's poorly written software that you can't focus on the job at hand. And to think that there was a time when Logic and an apple mac was punted as the dream machine...lol... it has become the over-priced, we don' really talk to the common folk nightmare machine.

I keep asking myself is Apple trying to sabotage people?? Why can't they just get it right?? We want the response time of SL on ML when running LP9 or X for that matter. Why is that so hard? I wish I knew why this is happening and I wish I knew if it could be fixed. In the meantime I have reverted back to my 2007 mac pro running 10.6.8 and LP9.1.7 and what you know, it runs faster and problem free. God help us.
Old 16th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
absolutely

do.
πŸ“ Reply