Quantcast
Setting up Headphone Mixes using Apogee Ensemble's Maestro's Software in Logic 9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Setting up Headphone Mixes using Apogee Ensemble's Maestro's Software in Logic 9
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Apogee Maestro Agony: Setting up Headphone Mixes in Logic 9

I have never been able to use the same mix in my control room that the players are hearing on the floor for three interrelated reasons:

1) Maestro does not allow mixer A (output 1 and 2) and mixer B (output 3 and 4) to share the same mix while recording. This really sucks because my monitors are plugged into output 1 and 2 while my headphone amp is fed by output 3 and 4. I don't see a more logical way to route this, but in Maestro output 3 and 4 are dictated by mixer B.

2) Logic's mix software cannot bypass Maestro's mix window controls while recording.

3) Using aux sends from Logic to outputs 3 and 4 with low latency monitoring turned off is a really ****ty way to role. I want to hear those aux sends through my speakers damn it! I don't want latency damn it! I refuse to work blind.

I would not post this thread if the solution were as simple as using Logic's aux routing options to send output 1 and 2 to output 3 and 4 while recording, because again, Maestro dictates the volume and panning of the monitored signals while recording. It doesn't seem to matter what settings you change in Logic.

Is there a solution to this problem other than using y splitters from one of the the headphone outputs or plugging mixer A into something like the Mackie Big Knob? I don't like these these ideas as I don't want to put more wiring between the source and the speakers than seems necessary.

For over 4 years I have set up my control room mix with Mixer A, copied the settings on paper, and manually inputed the settings into Mixer B; all while the band is complaining about not being able to hear things correctly. I'm so used to hearing 5 minutes of complaining from bands that I don't even get nervous anymore when this happens. It's all part of my horse **** process of working with Maestro.

I called Apogee about this problem several years ago and they told me I was doomed to work the way I am. I forget why exactly. Maybe because I'm connected to the Apogee using Firewire? Maybe because I don't like the idea of using aux sends that I can't monitor. Whatever the reason, I have never seen an advantage with Maestro's A and B mixers. They've always been a pain in the ass. I always find myself looking into Maestro wishing that output 1 and 2 could magically mirror output 3 and 4, but they can't and probably never will. I'm just eternally ****ed in the monitoring dept.

PLEASE CALL ME AN IDIOT AND GIVE ME THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM. Thanks.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I started this thread in frustration. I reached my boiling point and had to do something about my problems with Maestro to salvage my sanity.

I have an update for those of you that are still using Maestro 1 with your Apogee Ensemble.

You have to get Maestro 2 if you want to share Mixer A across your various outputs.

Beware however that you'll need to update your OS to Mountain Lion and possibly also upgrade your various plugins. I Payed $130 to upgrade my Waves bundle for example.
Old 3rd June 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Question

Hi trubadoor, any idea if one can switch between your main and headphones without pushing the Ensemble knob? I need to move my rack and am wondering if I can switch between phones and mains using software or a keyboard shortcut.
Old 3rd June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just upgraded to ML too, and what frustrates ME about the Maestro 2 software is that you cannot save different settings, say I would have a vocal recording setup up on Maestro 1 where I would have the preamps on the different channels on different levels, and then could switch over to another setting which would have the outputs on the headphone levels etc different… Have you been able to do that? Am I missing something?

One workaround for your above problem would be (inelegantly I admit) would be to run the headphone amp/splitter off the headphone outputs of the Ensemble….. requires keeping cables on the front, but I think you know what I mean….)
Old 20th June 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardeer ➡️
Hi trubadoor, any idea if one can switch between your main and headphones without pushing the Ensemble knob? I need to move my rack and am wondering if I can switch between phones and mains using software or a keyboard shortcut.
I've recently upgraded my Apogee system to 16xs with the Symphony Thunder Bridge, but from what I recall about the Ensemble there were 8 outputs. I found it much easier to use a monitor controller like the Mackie Big Knob to route my stereo buss to my main mix (Maestro A) and my headphone mix to output channels 3 and 4 (Maestro B). With the controller you can toggle between the two mixes to make headphone adjustments.

I found it very difficult to record properly without using the controller, because I would have no idea what the band was listening to when making adjustments for them. Honestly though, the problem I'm describing above is present in any recording session that doesn't have money invested in 1)DAW based as apposed to 3rd party (Maestro) monitoring control and 2) a high quality headphone routing system.

My world has changed since using the DAW to route output signals to various headphones. The speed of the Thunderbridge made it possible for me to stop using Maestro. The DAW itself is much better suited for the task of sending and recalling independent monitor mixes.
📝 Reply