Quantcast
Pro tools reverb help - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro tools reverb help
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Pro tools reverb help

I just picked up pro tools 9 and am blown away by how poor the instructions are. Can someone tell me how to add reverb to a track and record it? I have added reverb to a track, but it does not bounce down to another track or to the hardrive. I take it that its a routing issue, but I am coming from a Roland recorder which was SO much easier. I have a backing track, and i improvised over it, now all I want to do is add some verb to my guitar track. How stinking hard can that be? I have followed along with the instructions, but bwhat they say should pop up does not even pop up. Please HELP!!! Thanks in advance!
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag101 ➑️
I just picked up pro tools 9 and am blown away by how poor the instructions are. Can someone tell me how to add reverb to a track and record it? I have added reverb to a track, but it does not bounce down to another track or to the hardrive. I take it that its a routing issue, but I am coming from a Roland recorder which was SO much easier. I have a backing track, and i improvised over it, now all I want to do is add some verb to my guitar track. How stinking hard can that be? I have followed along with the instructions, but bwhat they say should pop up does not even pop up. Please HELP!!! Thanks in advance!
There are several ways to add reverb to a track. The easiest way is to add a reverb plug in to an aux track, using it as a return, having it routed to your main out and buss a send from your guitar track.

One way...
1: Track -> New -> Create 1 new Stereo Aux Input -> Click 'Create'
2: Click in the Top Insert slot -> mulitchannel Native Plugin -> Reverb -> DVerb
3: Click under I/O -> bus -> Bus 1-2 Stereo
4: On the tracks you want to put reverb on, click on the top Send slot (Slot A) -> bus -> Bus 1-2
5: Click on the grey Bus 1-2 'button' and a fader will pop up
6: adjust the fader level to the desired amount of reverb.
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 ➑️
There are several ways to add reverb to a track. The easiest way is to add a reverb plug in to an aux track, using it as a return, having it routed to your main out and buss a send from your guitar track.

One way...
1: Track -> New -> Create 1 new Stereo Aux Input -> Click 'Create'
2: Click in the Top Insert slot -> mulitchannel Native Plugin -> Reverb -> DVerb
3: Click under I/O -> bus -> Bus 1-2 Stereo
4: On the tracks you want to put reverb on, click on the top Send slot (Slot A) -> bus -> Bus 1-2
5: Click on the grey Bus 1-2 'button' and a fader will pop up
6: adjust the fader level to the desired amount of reverb.
Thank you for the help, but I do not get the menus you are saying I should get.
#1: the track instructions works fine. Got it.

Then I take it you are talking about THAT track that I click on the top insert slot (Under inserts A-E ???) The options I have there are 1: No insert which is checked. Or "Plug in" which gives me EQ,Dynamics,Pitch shift' Reverb, delay, modulation, harmony and others. I take it I click on reverb.
Then under IO I get "slap mono" as the only choice. What going on??

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you for the help, but I do not get the menus you are saying I should get.
#1: the track instructions works fine. Got it.

Then I take it you are talking about THAT track that I click on the top insert slot (Under inserts A-E ???) The options I have there are 1: No insert which is checked. Or "Plug in" which gives me EQ,Dynamics,Pitch shift' Reverb, delay, modulation, harmony and others. I take it I click on reverb.
Then under IO I get "slap mono" as the only choice. What going on??
Right - you need to read the bit in the pro tools manual about IO setup - this will help you understand what is going on. But in the first instance - go to io setup under "options" and in each of the tabs hit "default". this will give you more IO for the buss.

At some point you've opened a session that only has one mono path in it called "slap mono"...and your current session has the same IO setup.

In that menu option, after you click on "Reverb", then choose "air reverb" or whatever.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Since you're coming from a Roland recorder ill throw in there that writing reverb to your track is the least flexible way to go about it. If you're unhappy with it down the line the track iitself now has the reverb written. Its more difficult to remove it this way or change it. Using an Aux send and running the verb parallel is the way to go as above mentioned. You can run it inline (on an insert) but running it in an aux parallel track allows you to use it on as many source as you'd like to bus to it. Lots of great reads and videos out there that can instruct this.

Pro tools is pretty intuitive, just be patient and learn it well. Youll appreciate the ability to useparalell reverts, delays, etc as time goes on.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerTHIS ➑️
Since you're coming from a Roland recorder ill throw in there that writing reverb to your track is the least flexible way to go about it. If you're unhappy with it down the line the track iitself now has the reverb written. Its more difficult to remove it this way or change it. Using an Aux send and running the verb parallel is the way to go as above mentioned. You can run it inline (on an insert) but running it in an aux parallel track allows you to use it on as many source as you'd like to bus to it. Lots of great reads and videos out there that can instruct this.

Pro tools is pretty intuitive, just be patient and learn it well. Youll appreciate the ability to useparalell reverts, delays, etc as time goes on.

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to have to hire someone to come in and teach me I guess. Rolands reverb was the same way, but they gave you better instructions (Walk through examples) on how to use it either way. I am a guitar player, not a recording engineer, so I have absolutely no experience other than my Roland on how to do any of this. Creating new tracks, adjusting buses in different tracks, assigning signal paths etc just seems like WAY to much to do to add a little reverb. On the Roland, you hit a button called loop effects, reverb, and adjust the reverb how you want it, just like on a foot pedal. I guess I am a bit spoiled.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey guys, thanks to your help, I am getting this thing! Busses are actually insertion points in the signal path, why not just call them inserts? I used to ride on a bus when I was a kid. Anyway, I was able to bounce down to another track and get the reverb to work. I had to assign the outputs of the channels (Including the reverb return channel) i wanted to a certain, bus number, and then the set the input of the channel I was mixing down to the same bus #. IT WORKED!!! THEN i bounce down to the hardrive. My next question would be using compression. I would think the entire signal would need to go through that, so i dont need an auxilary channel. Is that correct? If that is right, I would just add it as another insert effect, and then it would be included on that channels send bus#? Also, one other question, can I put muliple channels through one reverb, or do I have to make an auxillary channel for every channel i want reverb on? If I only use one rever, all the channels would be stuck with the same reverb settings, correct? Again, thanks in advance for any help, as it is GREATLY appreciated. If i can help anyone with guitar theory or playing tips, I would be glad to help out. here is the very first clip i was able to get to work, thanks to those who originally responded.

MP3 Player SoundClick

Not bad for a first try!
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey guys, thanks to your help, I am getting this thing! Busses are actually insertion points in the signal path, why not just call them inserts? I used to ride on a bus when I was a kid.
Because an insert is an insert, and a buss is a buss you can call them busses instead of buses if you prefer, both spellings are used!

a buss is an internal path in the software. You have your audio track - it starts with an audio file. It goes through insert processing - it goes to an output. The output can be a physical output OR an internal output (the buss).

This buss can be picked up on another channel, and so you can route several tracks to one buss. Thus you can do submixes (route several tracks to a buss, and use that buss as the input to an aux track, where you can do further processing to the group) or you can record internally (set up a new audio track, and choose the buss as the input. record enable this track and you can print the submix to a new file).

Quote:
Anyway, I was able to bounce down to another track and get the reverb to work. I had to assign the outputs of the channels (Including the reverb return channel) i wanted to a certain, bus number, and then the set the input of the channel I was mixing down to the same bus #. IT WORKED!!! THEN i bounce down to the hardrive.
Without a screen grab, it's difficult to see what you're doing here. It does sound overcomplicated though. Just set up a send to a buss, and give it some level. Create an aux track, set the same buss as the input. Put a reverb 100% wet on that buss. You'll get reverb on whatever is sending to that buss. your way might work, but you shouldn't have to do all this bouncing down to get a bit of reverb.

Quote:
My next question would be using compression. I would think the entire signal would need to go through that, so i dont need an auxilary channel. Is that correct? If that is right, I would just add it as another insert effect, and then it would be included on that channels send bus#? Also, one other question, can I put muliple channels through one reverb, or do I have to make an auxillary channel for every channel i want reverb on? If I only use one rever, all the channels would be stuck with the same reverb settings, correct? Again, thanks in advance for any help, as it is GREATLY appreciated. If i can help anyone with guitar theory or playing tips, I would be glad to help out. here is the very first clip i was able to get to work, thanks to those who originally responded.
See above for how to use reverb on more than one channel - look up "sends" in the pro tools manual (I do think the idea of having someone to come help you out is a good idea though - you'll probably learn more in an hour than you'll figure out yourself in a week, and though eventually you'll probably work out a method that works for you, it may well be much slower than it needs to be).

Re compression - you can put a compressor on each individual channel (using the inserts on each channel) or you can route several channels to a buss using the method above, and compress them all together. Both methods are valid, and used at different times in music production.

Quote:
MP3 Player SoundClick

Not bad for a first try!
sounds fine reverb-wise - there's some clipping going on somewhere though, might want to try to narrow that down and eliminate it.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=psycho_monkey;8684762]

Quote:
Without a screen grab, it's difficult to see what you're doing here. It does sound overcomplicated though. Just set up a send to a buss, and give it some level. Create an aux track, set the same buss as the input. Put a reverb 100% wet on that buss. You'll get reverb on whatever is sending to that buss. your way might work, but you shouldn't have to do all this bouncing down to get a bit of reverb.

I guess I was unclear. I was getting reverb when I listened to the track, but it was not on it after I bounced to another channel or to the hard drive. I now see you have to record it onto another channel before the reverb will bounce to the hard drive. Unless the reverb return channel, which is all reverb signal, does not get sent to the "bounce" area in pro tools. I see no way to set that. Also, was i correct that if I only use one reverb and assign (through the buses) different channels to it, that each channel would be stuck with the same reverb settings? Example. Track one is a guitar track that i want reverb patch "Room 1 medium size", and track 3 is a vocal track i want reverb patch "room 2 small size". Can I get that with only one reverb patched in and sending both tracs there, or would I have to make a separate reverb track (reverb return track) for each of those tracks (vocal and guitar) to get the two settings?

Re compression - you can put a compressor on each individual channel (using the inserts on each channel) or you can route several channels to a buss using the method above, and compress them all together. Both methods are valid, and used at different times in music production.

Will both of these methods inclde the compression on the bounce to the hard drive, or do i have to record them to a different track like the reverb first?
Thanks again. Help me through and i will buy your friends album.

Quote:
sounds fine reverb-wise - there's some clipping going on somewhere though, might want to try to narrow that down and eliminate it.

If I record lower, the guitar sounds dead after mix down, and is very low in volume. Is there a way to boost the guitar track, or a "normalize" or something like that to give it more punch and volume? Pro tools came with trhis Avid interface, and there is NO pro tools manual. There is a boolet with like 13 pages of the most basic recording, and thats it. The pro tools help menu only explaiuns things and does not tell you how to do anything. Is there an actual pro tools manual I should have that explains it all? Thats what i need, and thats what my Rolands came with. (BR 600 and BR 900)
Old 28th January 2013

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=Tag101;8685345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️

I guess I was unclear. I was getting reverb when I listened to the track, but it was not on it after I bounced to another channel or to the hard drive. I now see you have to record it onto another channel before the reverb will bounce to the hard drive. Unless the reverb return channel, which is all reverb signal, does not get sent to the "bounce" area in pro tools. I see no way to set that. Also, was i correct that if I only use one reverb and assign (through the buses) different channels to it, that each channel would be stuck with the same reverb settings? Example. Track one is a guitar track that i want reverb patch "Room 1 medium size", and track 3 is a vocal track i want reverb patch "room 2 small size". Can I get that with only one reverb patched in and sending both tracs there, or would I have to make a separate reverb track (reverb return track) for each of those tracks (vocal and guitar) to get the two settings?

Will both of these methods inclde the compression on the bounce to the hard drive, or do i have to record them to a different track like the reverb first?
Thanks again. Help me through and i will buy your friends album.

If I record lower, the guitar sounds dead after mix down, and is very low in volume. Is there a way to boost the guitar track, or a "normalize" or something like that to give it more punch and volume? Pro tools came with trhis Avid interface, and there is NO pro tools manual. There is a boolet with like 13 pages of the most basic recording, and thats it. The pro tools help menu only explaiuns things and does not tell you how to do anything. Is there an actual pro tools manual I should have that explains it all? Thats what i need, and thats what my Rolands came with. (BR 600 and BR 900)
If you look under your help options, or in the documentation folder of your pro tools installation, or even just do a search of your hard disk, you'll find the "pro tools reference guide" which is the 500+ page manual you seek. No wonder you're confused!

You shouldn't need to print the reverb to an audio file at all - just set the output to the same place as the rest of the audio is going to.

Re guitar volume - without examining your session, it's difficult to say what's going on. The guitar won't sound "dull" being recorded quieter - your brain might interpret it that way though. Just turn up the fader! But this might not be the issue at any rate.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In the OP's defense.

Figuring out the bus & adding of was the hardest part of learning PT for me.
I called my buds over & over with the same question until finally it sunk in.

congrats!
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=psycho_monkey;8685743]

Is your friends music available at amazon?
πŸ“ Reply