Quantcast
Is Maschine right for me? (Warning, long post) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is Maschine right for me? (Warning, long post)
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Is Maschine right for me? (Warning, long post)

Good day everybody. First post here, and it's a long one. But hey, I'm a n00b and i need to start somewhere. so, sorry for the long post, but please bear with me and you'll have my gratitude. And maybe cookies.

So, I'm a bass player, I recently bought a Mac and started recording some of my stuff on Logic and everything is fine and dandy. I'm not thinking about serious music production, I'm not the clichè DIY sociopathic tyrannical bedroom metal producer. I just want to be able to record something easily and efficiently whenever I have the need. I plug in my bass and my guitar, start jamming and most of times I manage to have something good to work with.

And then drum programming happened. And it's boring and dull and slow, I make rapid progress in layering down guitars and basslines but when I have to make a decent drum pattern it takes hours to make it sound remotely human and the result is far from what i had in mind. Mostly because I become frustrated and angry. It would be easier if I had a real drum or something like that, because my idea would be to perform rather than just writing an instrument, even a MIDI instrument. I mean, that's my idea of how even computer music should be. I'm old school as hell, I know, but that's it. If only there was a way...

Also, sometimes I would like to explore the realm of electronic music and sampling, i find it fascinating and it would complement what I' trying to do, so I DLd the Ableton Live demo and started to play with it while following some tutorials. But I found working with it so cold and difficult I just quit and never opened it again. Apart from the ugly interface it has an awful lot of instruments that I just can't understand, they seem to do all the same things (IMO obviously) and I just can't manage to get anything done, unlike with Logic. I know this is mainly my fault for not knowing waveforms and not studying enough, but (as I've stated) I was thinking of computer music as an instrument, a way to enhance my real-time performance with instruments.
Long story short, i like playing. Not programming.

Then I found out about Maschine. I looked quite a few videos on YT, and even if I still don't understand its real nature (a stand-alone instrument? a DAW interface? a drum machine and nothing more?) I like what i see. I can see myself PLAYING it, sampling basslines and riffs and jamming in a more natural way.
So (FINALLY!) my question is: what is Maschine? Could I use it to not only play drums in a more natural way, but also to write electronic music? Is it easy enough to use for a poor bass player totally oblivious to the fine art of electronic music-making?
And...
Maschine or Maschine Mikro?

Thanks for your time and for every bit of advice, really.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher ➡️
Yes.
You are my hero.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Get Maschine Mikro used. You don't need the big controller and you don't need the new one with all the colored lights for what you're wanting to do. They're on eBay a bit over $100.
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
There are loads of video tutorials showing what it can do,whether it's easy for you to use is a difficult question to answer. If you give it time I'm sure you could use it for what you've stated, the general consensus is that the only thing off the table are song like vocals.

I've got one and love it, if you don't like it I'm sure they are pretty easy to resell.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

OP, by your description of what you're looking for it sounds like Maschine might be for you. If you're interested in spending most of your time on the Maschine hardware vs. your computer, I'd recommend full Maschine over Mikro.

Also be careful if buying a used Maschine... Native Instruments won't let you register your software until the previous owner unregisters it from their NI account first. Not everyone selling their units on eBay bothers doing that.

You also asked about the nature of Maschine. It is definitely not a full-fledged DAW, and was never meant to be, much to the chagrin of many owners. Its workflow is closer to a traditional MPC, and there are epic Maschine vs. MPC threads all over the Internet as a result. Unlike an MPC, however, it does require a computer to function. A lot of confusion (and disappointment) regarding Maschine has to do with its ability to also act as a DAW plugin. You can use Maschine as a multi-timbral VST in a DAW, or you can even, to some extent, use it to control your DAW. But Maschine/DAW integration is kinda limited and initially confusing to many users. I consider the DAW stuff an afterthought, really. And it's certainly not the product's strength.

I think Maschine's a great standalone product with an excellent library (especially if you include the many expansions). I've owned a number of drum machines and several DAWs, and standalone Maschine's definitely the most fun way I've ever had coming up with rhythms.

That said, I pulled mine out of my setup last week and will sell it if I don't use it within the next year. Machine's great for what it is, but I really do need a full-on DAW, without the complexities and limitations Maschine introduces as a plugin.
Old 26th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I never considered the MPC. frankly, I didn't even knew what it is until now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like it's a stand alone instrument, you load the samples from a memory card instead of just controlling them. Definitely interesting, but can you sample directly from the unit? I mean, modifying the sample like with the maschine.
I'm sorry if I'm not very precise with my words, but I'm really walking in the dark here, I know nothing of this world!
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehorse ➡️
I never considered the MPC. frankly, I didn't even knew what it is until now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like it's a stand alone instrument, you load the samples from a memory card instead of just controlling them. Definitely interesting, but can you sample directly from the unit? I mean, modifying the sample like with the maschine.
I'm sorry if I'm not very precise with my words, but I'm really walking in the dark here, I know nothing of this world!
Maschine and any MPC are full-fledged samplers. You can record and modify your own sounds or load existing ones. Some newer MPCs, as well as Maschine, can even load and trigger software instruments/VSTis, which is where the lines between MPC and DAW begin to blur for some folks.

Different MPCs offer different ways of getting samples onto the hardware, but as far as I know modern models, like Maschine, allow you to load them from a PC over USB. (The difference being that Maschine's hardware is a simple MIDI controller that delivers an MPC-like experience when connected to a computer- it has no local physical storage- whereas you can unplug an MPC from your computer and still be able to work on it.)
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
yOU WANT THIS:
📝 Reply