Quantcast
Notable early DAW users. - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Notable early DAW users.
Old 17th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I had the first UK installed PT3 TDM system in December 1994. Consisted of the Mac (can't remember which model), 2 17" Trinitron monitors, TDM nubus cards, SCSI hard drive, data dat backupdrive, 888 audio interface, Video Slave Driver, and timecode reader. It cost £18.500, a lot of money in 1994.
The SCSI external 1.7 gig,(yes 1.7 gig) hard drive cost £2000.00.
The system had 16 voices, and revolutionised AV soundtrack production and audio post. Overnight our analogue system became redundant. I still use Protools to this day.
Old 17th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ahhh, opening the nostagia files, huh?

I was using Deck II on a Mac 840AV, early 90s, synced through midi to Atari ST running Cubase.

I used to do the complete arrangement on Cubase driving a Korg T3, and using Deck II for a single stereo track of an electric guitar + Zoom fx processor.

Those were the days, my friends...
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
I was running a PT rig in the UK in 92. Editing trailers for products and pulling together compilations from DATs and analogue sources.
couldn't do much with 4 track though

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➡️
disk editing still seemed like science fiction.
not really, it had been around for 10+ years at that point
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzomixer ➡️
I had the first UK installed PT3 TDM system in December 1994. Consisted of the Mac (can't remember which model)
had to be a quadra with nu-buss, unlikely a powerpc
Old 18th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
PTIII was available both in Nubus and PCI.
Pro Tools III PCI System for Macintosh

But I'd guess it was the quadra 840av, the dsp beast of the early nineties.
Quadra 840av

Powermacs with nubus were available at that time, but the software would have run faster on the quadra since the software was not yet optimized for ppc.

PCI powermacs were not around until 1995.
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jan Hammer used Opcode's Studio Vision to produce his Beyond The Mind's Eye album in 1992. He seemed pretty happy with it at the time.
Old 18th February 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito ➡️
couldn't do much with 4 track though

not really, it had been around for 10+ years at that point

Hence the word " seemed" kiddo.
Old 18th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
... I just gave away my Opcode studio 3 and studio 4. I still miss using studio vision.
Old 21st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think what blows me away is just how far all of this technology has come, even with in the last decade. in 2000 I thought having a Pentium II with 64 megs of ram was HOT stuff for its time. To imagine working on audio tracks with things 10 years prior to that is just what blows me away. Nowadays you can practically do it all on an Ipad...so to speak.

If anybody has pictures of their old setups with these daws that would be an awesome addition too. People who used the 442's and 882's, did most of them work out of the box with them or were there any people attempting early TDM in the box stuff with them?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture ➡️
10 years prior
Check out the Yes CD "Talk", it was done ITB in 1994 on digital performer.
nas
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I started on Opcode Vision in 1990 with just MIDI sequencing , around this time and up until '92 I was also introduced to the Synclavier at I high end facility where I worked as an assistant engineer. I remember thinking it sounded pretty damn amazing - still sounds great actually - but couldn't stand the programming on that thing. Maybe because it was all so new to me at the time.

By '94 I had my own copy of Studio Vision running on a Mac Quadra... those were great times and a whole new world opened up to me. I went from being a "MIDIiot" to a strong proponent of the DAW... even if back then it was pretty limited compared to today. We used the hard disk mostly for editing audio and some v.o. work and we did our main tracking on MDMs like the Tascam DA-88 which was synced to Studio Vision. I still think that Studio Vision was the best DAW I've ever used.
Old 21st February 2013
📝 Reply