Quantcast
Upgrade from 003+? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrade from 003+?
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
oh nice! that's exactly what i need, and on top of that i just read its compatible with pro tools LE so that shaves off a couple hundred bucks without needing to get the mbox+protools package. I think iv decided on this one.. thanks guys
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The MBox PRO is basically Avid's upgrade/replacement for the 003 for all intents and purposes, it's just not a rack mounted unit.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In my post, the one I compared was the regular Mbox 3, not the Pro, and I still felt it sounded better than the Duet 2, and was light years beyond the 003.

I believe the regular and the Pro are the same basic converter design, but the Pro also features Jet PLL technology for even lower clock jitter, etc.

The Pro also has a more substantial power supply (because it uses AC power, and is not buss powered like the old one). This will give it an edge in certain specs like dynamic range and THD vs. the regular Mbox 3 which is buss powered through USB. The Pro also goes up to 192 khz vs 96 for the regular, for whatever that's worth.

This guide is helpful and informative:

http://www.avid.com/static/resources...logy_Guide.pdf

When I compared these, I did not get a chance to try the preamps, so I can't speak for those. I was mainly comparing the D/A conversion. Though I did briefly try the DI's in each one (they were so close it hardly mattered).

I had owned the 003 for several years, so I was definitely familiar with how it sounded, and I could hear the difference in the Mbox and Duet 2 immediately. But again, I liked the Mbox a little better.

Remember this was not even the Pro and I was really impressed.

As mentioned, the Pro allows you to completely bypass the preamps if you're using an external one.

I had actually just borrowed these for a couple of days when I compared them, but I now use the HD Native and Omni system, which sounds better than any of these units.

I just mention that since I don't own either the Mbox or Duet 2, I'm not trying to be biased towards one or the other based on having spent money on it (in other words, hyping up one or the other to feel better about a purchase I already made, etc.). I'm just relating my experience.
📝 Reply