Quantcast
New Behringer iQ series pro speakers, is Behringer really becoming good? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Behringer iQ series pro speakers, is Behringer really becoming good?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
New Behringer iQ series pro speakers, is Behringer really becoming good?

Hey guys,
Has anybody seen these new speakers from behringer, the iQ series?
Seems like with the release of the x32 the guys really stepped up their game.
I know behringer isn't really known for their extreme quality and reliability, but a fully digital system that can be controlled directly from the x32, with klark dsps and turbosound drivers, all powered by a 2500w amp really seems too good to be true, especially given the low prices behringer usually applies to their products..
What do you guys think?

BEHRINGER Launches iQ Series Networked Loudspeakers with TURBOSOUND Drivers and 2,500 Watts of iNuke DSP Power - BEHRINGER International GmbH - Pressemitteilung
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I truly think they are "becoming good". They have purchased many high high quality companies and are using them to their best ability. I am extreme impressed with their new equipment. I love my X32 and wouldnt trade it for any other board
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Just keep your expectations very low.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
just delete the whole thread then if we cant say anything negative in a thread asking for positive and negative responses.

Whats the point?
Old 24th January 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Ok im going to nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand, like it always does.

No Behringer morals bashing west/east, cost of blah blah blah or there will be thread bans!

Feel free to talk about this product all you like but don't start those types of debates!

Thanks,
Graham
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
In 5 years, when none of this equipment works, everyone will look back on 2013 while laughing, saying "Hey guys, 'member when Behringer tried to trick us into thinking they weren't just making crappy china built products? Man, they almost had us."

On another note... The X32 series is the WORST feeling mixer board I have ever touched. Crappy plastic and rubber garbage.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addixion ➑️
In 5 years, when none of this equipment works, everyone will look back on 2013 while laughing, saying "Hey guys, 'member when Behringer tried to trick us into thinking they weren't just making crappy china built products? Man, they almost had us."

On another note... The X32 series is the WORST feeling mixer board I have ever touched. Crappy plastic and rubber garbage.
Exactly. It might be fine now, but its not gear you buy for the long haul. I've owned half a dozen or more pieces of their gear.. but never had very high expectations. The measurement mic is actually pretty good FWIW.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

I don't mind the "feel" of the X32. To be fair, no small format digital mixer I have ever touched, has felt solid like a proper console, with the Tascam DM4800 being the only exception.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm ➑️
just delete the whole thread then if we cant say anything negative in a thread asking for positive and negative responses.

Whats the point?
Dude, i didn't delete anything!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Nowadays many pro audio companies have outsourced their production/assembly lines in china, so the "made in china" bashing moniker isn't really meaningful at all.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogodrummer ➑️
Dude, i didn't delete anything!
I know you didnt
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox ➑️
Exactly. It might be fine now, but its not gear you buy for the long haul. I've owned half a dozen or more pieces of their gear.. but never had very high expectations. The measurement mic is actually pretty good FWIW.
I personally only owned a couple of their mixers, and in 5 years of use they didn't break down and they still work like a charm... I can't say that for their other products, but it is my belief they are upping their game a lot: line arrays, lightweight neodymium PA speakers, nice monitors (their newly introduced series was designed by the founder of KRK, and they look really sleek, with that molded fiber enclosure), DJ controllers...
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Love the "with Turbosound Drivers" They never made drivers, the have used Everything from Paudio and Fane to ATC and Perscision Devices.
I have used and loved and sold many Turbos, but lets see how these sound and last!
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
So far, products aside, Behringer has improved MASSIVELY in terms of their support model. They actually have proper service mechanisms in place, and so you can actually get decent support if you need it, which was not true previously.

They have increased their warranty to 3 years on products.
They spent 20+ million $ upgrading their factory.
They invested heavily in R&D and technology acquisition.

If you look at some public figures on failure rates, Behringer actually fares VERY well, and is certainly better statistically than many more prestigious names. The difference is that they sell such a huge volume of product to a lower end market, and therefore there are greater numbers of potential users to have problems. This skews public perception that their products are less reliable than they actually are.

FWIW, I have no association with Behringer, and only own 2 Behringer products, I am certainly no fanboy. But this appears to be "the new Behringer", and I think old fears should be laid to rest and their stuff given another look. What they are doing lately is pretty compelling to the MI market.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamboom ➑️
So far, products aside, Behringer has improved MASSIVELY in terms of their support model. They actually have proper service mechanisms in place, and so you can actually get decent support if you need it, which was not true previously.

They have increased their warranty to 3 years on products.
They spent 20+ million $ upgrading their factory.
They invested heavily in R&D and technology acquisition.

If you look at some public figures on failure rates, Behringer actually fares VERY well, and is certainly better statistically than many more prestigious names. The difference is that they sell such a huge volume of product to a lower end market, and therefore there are greater numbers of potential users to have problems. This skews public perception that their products are less reliable than they actually are.

FWIW, I have no association with Behringer, and only own 2 Behringer products, I am certainly no fanboy. But this appears to be "the new Behringer", and I think old fears should be laid to rest and their stuff given another look. What they are doing lately is pretty compelling to the MI market.

Yep, exactly my point. I have seen many b-word threads bashing and bashing and bashing, but darn have they become good in the last year and a half...
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
TRA
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Hate to poop on your point, but my ADA8000 was purchased ten years ago and has been used in a mobile rack this entire time. My DI has been used and abused for about 7 years now. It's fashionable to bash Behringer. I get it. However, about 90% of the bashing isn't warranted. Knock offs? Yes. Cheap parts in China? Yes, but that is everyone. Reliability? I've had nothing but good luck.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have lived a B******** free life....but damn if I'm not interested for my little local gigs. Been using QSC KW122s, but 2500 portable watts/side does sound nice.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't think that Behringer is becoming good..
BUT if you go back 15-20 years, the cheap stuff made by behringer (and other manufacturers) was quite bad.. Today with the help of technology and (in the case of Behringer) having bought other companies, the products they make are cheap (very cheap) and better than what they did years ago IMO.. Good sounding is another story..and another price.

You can't pretend to have a fantastic sounding mixer for 999$ new .. for the price is quite stunning what you get today though.

Quality have a cost, more so in the past, but it will always be like that also in the future. Quality can't be cheap.

I'm not a Behringer lover at all, I'm trying to buy quality pieces if/when I could (also used), but have to say that in a live show I did, the rental company provided a yammie 01v (I think 96, but not sure) ,plus the Behringer ada8000 preamps connected through adat for more channels..

Believe it or not the behringer pres sounded better than the yammie ones (night and day).. I couldn't believe my ears..

Cheu
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA ➑️
Hate to poop on your point, but my ADA8000 was purchased ten years ago and has been used in a mobile rack this entire time. My DI has been used and abused for about 7 years now. It's fashionable to bash Behringer. I get it. However, about 90% of the bashing isn't warranted. Knock offs? Yes. Cheap parts in China? Yes, but that is everyone. Reliability? I've had nothing but good luck.
I still have an original stereo preamp and an original stereo compressor (ie the original iterations of the very first Behringer products). Lots of wire inside, robust power supplies, still working fine after all these years and still sounding pretty damn good. The first run of Behringer products were considerably different (ie better in every way) than later iterations which eventually morphed into nearly empty boxes with a row of SMDs behind the front panel...but if you ever find one of the first iterations, check it out - you may be surprised (particularly the preamp).

It's good to see Behringer now using it's power to deliver better products and better service.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Someone Please ask Behringer !!!!!

Please someone ask these people,
what does Midas designed preamp really mean here and
are how are they the same as say a XL4 and how different are they
or are they the Venice mic pre.

thanks
KBB
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
When they bought the name, they can use it on anything they want. I would assume they have a room in the Behringer factory with "Midas" on the door and thats where they work on the preamps.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Venice has awesome pres so that would be amazing if it had those
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Read about it on the other site where Uli very generously has been answering questions, including this one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama ➑️
Read about it on the other site where Uli very generously has been answering questions, including this one.
Err.. And?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry - I was and thought I was on another forum that would know what I meant.

Uli Behringer of The Music Group Q&A
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Bang Boom ➑️
Please someone ask these people,
what does Midas designed preamp really mean here and
are how are they the same as say a XL4 and how different are they
or are they the Venice mic pre.

thanks
KBB
The X32 is a derivative of the Pro2 preamp. The X32 preamp card is made next to the Pro2 card. They are not exactly the same in form. The Pro2 pre is not same pre as the analog consoles preamps.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox ➑️
When they bought the name, they can use it on anything they want. I would assume they have a room in the Behringer factory with "Midas" on the door and thats where they work on the preamps.
That is an incorrect impression to make. Behringer didn't buy the Midas name. They bought the Midas business, designs, expertise, as well as the 106 people that came with both Midas and Klark Teknik. Behringer, Midas and Klark Teknik will all operate under a holding brand called The Music Group (owned by Behringer) and they will exist independently. They are sure to share tech, but this deal, was not just buying a name.
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Behringer didn't buy it, Music Group did. Behringer is a brand of Music Group. So, technically, Uli and his investors own it all.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC ➑️
Behringer didn't buy it, Music Group did. Behringer is a brand of Music Group. So, technically, Uli and his investors own it all.
Behringer IS Music Group. They created that group to house all the three brands

Sent from my HTC Desire
πŸ“ Reply