Quantcast
New Behringer iQ series pro speakers, is Behringer really becoming good? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Behringer iQ series pro speakers, is Behringer really becoming good?
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama ➑️
Read about it on the other site where Uli very generously has been answering questions, including this one.
ehh

why not someone there who reads this forum try to get an answer

as well if I checked that thread to long
what was his answer.

Midas can mean alot or not.
KBB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Because that forum and thread has a wealth of knowledge and it was worth searching through. I remember he talked about it, not the exact page in the thread. Feel free to look in it as I don't care enough to do your research for you.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Ned rules

https://www.facebook.com/thetoysband
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks for the link. allota useful info.
especially his one:

"The reality of manufacturing in China is that you must control it or it can wipe you out. We learned that quickly, but those early missteps still haunt us today. In the early years we used 3rd party manufacturers such as Kwanasia and others who had little experience with audio products. Also it is common knowledge that those manufacturers substitute parts behind your back in order to maximize profit and your work instructions only last for the time that you are in the factory and are reversed when you leave. Interesting is that Kwanasia whom we abandoned for quality reasons now manufactures for brands such as Avid, Soundcraft, Peavey etc."
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 ➑️
thanks for the link. allota useful info.
especially his one:

"The reality of manufacturing in China is that you must control it or it can wipe you out. We learned that quickly, but those early missteps still haunt us today. In the early years we used 3rd party manufacturers such as Kwanasia and others who had little experience with audio products. Also it is common knowledge that those manufacturers substitute parts behind your back in order to maximize profit and your work instructions only last for the time that you are in the factory and are reversed when you leave. Interesting is that Kwanasia whom we abandoned for quality reasons now manufactures for brands such as Avid, Soundcraft, Peavey etc."
So they race to the bottom and then point to others as now living there too?

I want to spend my money on things produced in free societies that have actual an actual EPA or the equivalent.

Companies that produce in countries like china are skating environmental regulations for a short term profit. 200 years from now people will look back on us and think how foolish we were.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm ➑️
So they race to the bottom and then point to others as now living there too?

I want to spend my money on things produced in free societies that have actual an actual EPA or the equivalent.

Companies that produce in countries like china are skating environmental regulations for a short term profit. 200 years from now people will look back on us and think how foolish we were.
I agree but today you have very little other options.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lots of boutique audio equipment made in first world countries. We have very little options at the cheap prices or for modern digital, it is true. But if you look you will find it.

All of my clothing is made in first world countries at this point and I try to find electronics that fit that bill but it is very hard.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Read the whole article. The Music Group is referenced as managing the brand, keeping the 106 employees, etc, not Behringer. The headline is true but not true at the same time.

Now, look at the Midas page:
Midas Press Release

Check out the updated Music Group page with Turbo added to it's list of companies.
http://www.music-group.com/brands.html
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
As has been mentioned, this preamp was designed by MIDAS engineers. It is made in the same factory as the Midas PRO series digital consoles.

I have used the X32 and the preamps are plenty good enough that your time is best spent worrying about other things. Do not get tied up in preamp marketing hype. It is a good, solid preamp design that will serve you well. Manufacturers make a far bigger deal out of preamps than the proportional role their quality plays in a studio would indicate.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Behringer...

One one hand I applaud the effort.
On the other I cannot get past their history of plagiarized hardware design.
On my third arm I am thankful they exist to permit anyone with a extremely low budgets to make music.

All in all, they would be far better off rebranding themselves...
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang ➑️
Behringer...

One one hand I applaud the effort.
On the other I cannot get past their history of plagiarized hardware design.
On my third arm I am thankful they exist to permit anyone with a extremely low budgets to make music.

All in all, they would be far better off rebranding themselves...
Shoot. People are making music on a budget without Behringer. They did it before Behringer too. Used gear is what people used. That used gear might have been better than new Behringer in some cases.
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek ➑️
Love the "with Turbosound Drivers" They never made drivers, the have used Everything from Paudio and Fane to ATC and Perscision Devices.
I have used and loved and sold many Turbos, but lets see how these sound and last!
Historically we've sourced loudspeaker drivers from a variety of high quality European OEM suppliers, including of course Precision Devices, and we continue to seek out the best available - and always to our own specific designs. For many years however we've also been designing and producing unique bespoke drivers for our high end ranges such as Aspect, Flex Array and Flashline right here in our UK factory because there's simply nothing out there that will do the job, and because we can have ultimate control over quality.

Martin Reid
Turbosound
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Nut

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have their B3031A and I love them. I also have a UMX 490 and a PMP 4000, and never an issue or complaint whatsoever with Behringer... I guess it must be up to their new standards.
Old 12th July 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Are they out yet?
Old 12th July 2013 | Show parent
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
"built around BEHRINGER's iNuke Class-D amplifiers"

Comes with a free fire extinguisher.
Old 20th June 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Looking for similar info re the IQ series. Looking for an extra pair of subs and was possibly getting a pair of the IQ series.

As for the Behringer bias ... Well that is all it is at this point. The reality of any corporation utilizing it's mass build up of revenue to move into a more reputable level is not unprecedented to say the least. I mix on all types of systems professionally due to tours, but for my personal rig (since I can't afford a SC48) chose the X32 for its feature rich system verse cost ratio. Heck at the price point it COULD be a throw away, BUT after about a year on the road in a trailer behind a bus, and then surviving a near fatal wreck in my Toyota 4runner after flipping 3 times, it is still kicking butt without any problems. In addition the consistent firmware updates have pushed its processing to the limit with some great sounding digital fx.

Still don't like the digital EQ's so am routing though my trusted KT DN360's.

Now we are moving to more automation with backing tracks and using the X32 Rack with Adat card. Love it.

Lastly, anyone in the industry will confirm the incredible turn around in support. These guys are serious about killing it and have set an industry standard for great quality at ridiculous prices coupled with fantastic customer service.

So that is why folks like me are interested in all they are putting out today, and are starting to see these products in riders and on pro stages. Crazy I know but true ... Check out the M32. Insane board for the price and all pure Midus pres, motorized faders ect.
Old 1st April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinreid ➑️
Historically we've sourced loudspeaker drivers from a variety of high quality European OEM suppliers, including of course Precision Devices, and we continue to seek out the best available - and always to our own specific designs. For many years however we've also been designing and producing unique bespoke drivers for our high end ranges such as Aspect, Flex Array and Flashline right here in our UK factory because there's simply nothing out there that will do the job, and because we can have ultimate control over quality.

Martin Reid
Turbosound

hi is the behringer acquisition of turbosound the reason why the milan m15 have dropped in price nearly 50%? have the design of these speakers changed?

thx
Old 10th April 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yes, Music Group owns a number of brands. Uli Behringer is building a more reputable base of business through the acquisition of highly respected companies. I've had my issues with the Behringer brand in the past and cheap gear I bought years ago, but the reality was I wasn't able to buy more expensive gear at the time, so for me they helped fill my needs within my budget. Fast forward 10+ years and recently I purchased an X32 rack. They have made regular firmware and software upgrades and I've added an S16 digital snake. The setup is amazing. The RTA is a god send. A few years ago this setup would have costs 10's of thousands of dollars. Last year I bought three Turbosound Milan 12's and they are remarkable. Light weight. Sleek design. Surprisingly good bass and very powerful. You can use them on stands for front-of-house or as monitors. Nice thing is they are streamlined and can be angled on either side so you can have the horn on he left or the right (you can't with the Mackies or JBLs or QSC). I used them a stage performance that also had Mackie 450s and Yamahas and the Milan's sounded best. I just ordered the Turbosound Milan iq15b networked sub woofer and looking forward to playing with the networking (setting up Cat5 cabling). All-in-all it will be a killer system with unbelievable flexibility and a small footprint. Go Uli! Keep changing the game.
Old 11th April 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I've really only been involved in music for abt 10 yrs or so, learning/reading a lot on forums, and trying to get the best bang for the buck when buying equipment... ie can't afford a lot on my own. I've seen Behringer bashed for years, but the stuff I own from them have worked perfectly for years and sound good... keeping in mind I don't own or can't afford like QSC and other high end brands. I think there's prob many brands out there today that are inferior to Behr, and even watching the reliability reviews on many retail pro audio sites, i've seen many Mackie products with lower ratings and customers complaining about their products... prob some lower end stuff, but many companies have products that range from low end/cost, less reliable to products that the company has made their good reputation on. It makes me wonder about the voracity of posters that bash products without giving factual reasons to support their opinions.
Old 11th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaitang ➑️
hi is the behringer acquisition of turbosound the reason why the milan m15 have dropped in price nearly 50%? have the design of these speakers changed?
They were reviewed by Sound on Sound magazine, and the review may now be available online. The new specs are distinctly different from the old model: higher power amps, increased weight, and slightly reduced max SPL. The review mentions that the old drivers had neodynium magnets, the new ones have ferrite magnets. That pretty much tells anyone who knows about speaker design what is going on. The weight increase, the need for new amps, the reduced electroacoustic efficiency, are all down to the inferior magnetic characteristics of ferrite. Why? Price. Ferrite is cheap; neodynium is not, especially in amounts needed for 15" bass drivers with wide voice coils. Parts between the old and new Milans are not interchangeable.

There is an issue here. On the one hand there is the frequent disclaimer put out be manufacturers that a product's specification may change without notice. That's understandable, for instance, if a product relies on a component made by someone else and which stops being available and cannot be substituted to the original specification. On the other, if I make a rice paper box, I am legally prevented from calling it a Milan speaker. So what is going on when a new, cheaper speaker is named the same as an old product - and when the product blurb elides history? It looks to me quite a lot like Behringer "passing off", as the lawyers say, and that post looks like prima facie evidence.

Last edited by hyper.real; 11th April 2015 at 09:05 PM..
Old 12th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper.real ➑️
They were reviewed by Sound on Sound magazine, and the review may now be available online. The new specs are distinctly different from the old model: higher power amps, increased weight, and slightly reduced max SPL. The review mentions that the old drivers had neodynium magnets, the new ones have ferrite magnets. That pretty much tells anyone who knows about speaker design what is going on. The weight increase, the need for new amps, the reduced electroacoustic efficiency, are all down to the inferior magnetic characteristics of ferrite. Why? Price. Ferrite is cheap; neodynium is not, especially in amounts needed for 15" bass drivers with wide voice coils. Parts between the old and new Milans are not interchangeable.

There is an issue here. On the one hand there is the frequent disclaimer put out be manufacturers that a product's specification may change without notice. That's understandable, for instance, if a product relies on a component made by someone else and which stops being available and cannot be substituted to the original specification. On the other, if I make a rice paper box, I am legally prevented from calling it a Milan speaker. So what is going on when a new, cheaper speaker is named the same as an old product - and when the product blurb elides history? It looks to me quite a lot like Behringer "passing off", as the lawyers say, and that post looks like prima facie evidence.

thats really helpful- such a bummer that behringer would dilute one of the better names in loudspeaker design. do you know of something comparable to the original milan speaker? i hear great things about the yamaha dxr 15
Old 17th February 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm kinda looking for some insight here. Has anyone used the Turbosound iq18b subwoofer? I'm looking to purchase a new sub but I really don't want to pay more than $1000. And for around $800 with all the features this thing has it seems like a steal. However has anyone had any experience with this sub or the iq line? Is it any good? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 17th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dunno about the newer iQ range, but I've had a pair of the M15 boxes for a couple of years and really like them. They sound great.
Old 17th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronf8 ➑️
I truly think they are "becoming good". They have purchased many high high quality companies and are using them to their best ability. I am extreme impressed with their new equipment. I love my X32 and wouldnt trade it for any other board
Really?
Not even the straight upgrade?
Old 5th May 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrompe2 ➑️
I'm kinda looking for some insight here. Has anyone used the Turbosound iq18b subwoofer? I'm looking to purchase a new sub but I really don't want to pay more than $1000. And for around $800 with all the features this thing has it seems like a steal. However has anyone had any experience with this sub or the iq line? Is it any good? Any help would be much appreciated.
I'm using one with a pair of iQ15 tops fed by an x32 on Ultranet. Some people might say it is amazing for the money, but I say it is amazing, regardless of the money.

The onboard DSP lets you keep response relatively flat regardless of placement, (selections for "floor", "wall" and "corner") among other things. Very flexible.

The thing kicks hard and sounds great. The whole system together is amazing. You can push it hard without it getting harsh or strained sounding, pretty much keeps the same sound, only louder.

Like almost everyone here, I have had Behringer gear fail in the past. What I think of as the "New Behringer" is a whole different ballgame. solid, well designed gear that works and sounds great. I'm very pleased with what I use. The equivalent from a non-Music Group source would have cost much more.
Old 5th May 2016
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm ➑️
just delete the whole thread then if we cant say anything negative in a thread asking for positive and negative responses.

Whats the point?
This is unfortunately the new way of gearslutz. For instance.. Say you don't like slate digital products and watch your post disappear like magic. They should change the name to GearSlate.com

I'd say with all the success that Behringer has had, it was only a matter of time before they stepped up their game quality wise. I know if they made a quality DAW controller i'd be interested.
πŸ“ Reply