Logic pro work flow. Whats yours? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic pro work flow. Whats yours?
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Logic pro work flow. Whats yours?

I have been using Logic pro for some time now and i am always learning new ways of interacting with it.

I have just come up with a new work flow when using Flex time editing.
See at the bottom of this post.

It would be great if you want to share your Logic pro work flow ideas here.

After struggling along for a while with flex editing, i have come to a new work flow.

I was recently Flex editing different take/comps while running a bunch of cpu hungry 3rd 32bit plug-ins, some with very long latency.

It seems only fair on the computer to not ask it to process so many things at once.

So now i am flattening/merging the comps into a single take. (Trying to flex edit several different takes is also complicated on the eyes to)

Working with only ITB Logic plugins reduces the CPU load and help's Logics and Flex editing performance.

Then start flex editing.

Then bounce the Flex edited track and import that back to the project, then add the hungry plugins.

Its all definitely working better.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

What computer are you using?
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox ➑️
What computer are you using?
its a 2012 15" mbp 2.3ghz i7 quad core.
If your asking that to see if my computer is fast enough, i'd have to say yes, for sure.
I think its more to do with Logic and its ability to deal with a vast amount of data in real-time, and that flexitime isn't bulletproof yet. Maybe in Logic X Apple will make Flexi-time more solid.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah i was just making sure. Do you every try freezing the tracks that are using 32bit plugs so your computer doesn't have to do all that extra math? The bridge plug also sucks and can really get in your way if you don't remember to save frequently
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah i was just making sure. Do you every try freezing the tracks that are using 32bit plugs so your computer doesn't have to do all that extra math? The bridge plug also sucks and can really get in your way if you don't remember to save frequently
Haven't thought of that.
Thanks
I have been running Logic in 32bit so i don't have to use the 32bit audio bridge.
Can't be bothered with all the extra mouse clicking one has to do to go in between the 32bit plugins and 64bit Logic every time to edit the plugin.

With your suggestion with Logic in 64bit, to freeze the tracks with 32bit plugins ( i often use 32bit plugs on the master bus which can't be freezer ), maybe, if there a lot of 32 bit plugins on the project, Logic will work just as efficiently or worse/better in 32bit mode?

Maybe the audio bridge creates more work?
Just ran a song in 32bit and 64bit.
In 64bit Logic used around 23% and the audio bridge about 55% cpu as shown in activity monitor. Logic was using 6 cores.
In 32bit Logic was using about 60% cpu over 4 cores.

Maybe flex time and the like works better, more efficiently in 64bit?
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, what plugins are you using in 32bit? SoundToys? If you have a bunch of 32bit plugs you should still run logic in 32bit. 64bit allows access to more memory, and lowers latency times.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
a) 64bit allows access to more memory,
B) and lowers latency times.
a) Yes it does.
b) No, it does not.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

Not inherently, but it allows for lower buffer settings with similar performance
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Not inherently, but it allows for lower buffer settings with similar performance
Not in my experience.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Lurker ➑️
Not in my experience.
I agree with East West here. 64 bit will do nothing to affect latency.

Since you are running 32 bit and using Flex, check that you are not running out of addressable memory. Open the Activity Monitor and check that Logic is not using more than about 3.2 or 3.3 gigs of ram.
Launch Logic as 64 bit and see if you get better performance.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If you search for Charlieclouser's posts here, you'll pick up some serious Logic knowledge.

I took his long post about making project templates, and made a much simpler version for myself. I didn't need to do surround mixes and a few other things. Now I have an excellent project template.

My workflow is recording different long synth takes while twiddling controllers, adjusting the automation, then mixing and adding effects. I spend a lot of time in the mixer window, as I don't do a lot of region editing yet.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…