Quantcast
Lowest latency interface? (side question, new problem with my current interface) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lowest latency interface? (side question, new problem with my current interface)
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Lowest latency interface? (side question, new problem with my current interface)

Basically was on the market for another interface because my current one is going out (some weird stuff is going on internally about it, the 2nd preamp in it is blown completely I guess [I've never even used the 2nd preamp before] and it's creating noise within it - looking at the M-Audio mixer you can see green noise spiking up, and if you turn up the mic volume you can hear the noise through the monitors, so maybe this is causing more problems elsewhere too.

Anyways, was looking at the Echo Audiofire 12 - which I saw a 2ms reading elsewhere, not sure how accurate this is or not. Also looking at the Motu Ultralite MK3, this piece would be kind of convenient since I can be more mobile with it but thinking realistic I doubt I'll ever be mobile recording anytime soon. Is there any other interfaces around that price range that are worth looking into, top priority being absolutely lowest in latency.

Now onto my problem. I'm thinking it's a latency problem. My recordings used to come out nice and tight when doubling a vocal, whether it be verse double or stacking a chorus - how they're alienated an spacey sounding. Not sure what happened but that's what's going on now. Is there a latency difference between running the built in ProFire's preamp in a recording and using my Avalon's preamp with the compressor engaged routed to my ProFire? Goes Mic, outputted from the Avalon to an input in the ProFire (recordings are in print at this point, correct?) and then back out with two cables to route to a headphone amp I have.

Sorry if this is all cluttered, I'm just really confused as to what happened. Even at a 256 buffer on the ProFire things were nice and night - now even at a 64 buffer nothing seems to change.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Bump please
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Bump again
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
There are two signal paths for most interfaces, and each will have a different latency. You have the "direct monitoring" signal path, and the normal "through the DAW" signal path. The first is for monitoring without latency, as it uses hardware DSP to send the input to the output, but you cannot use DAW instruments and effects. The second would be used for monitoring VIs or recording with DAW plugins. The tradeoff is more latency.

It is possible that you have your system set up where you are monitoring both direct and through the DAW, which will give you a phased effect due to the time difference of the two signals.

Any USB interfaces are going to have at least 7ms of round trip latency going through the DAW, but they will have direct monitoring in the sub 2ms range.
๐Ÿ“ Reply