Anyone running symphony over USB ok? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone running symphony over USB ok?
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Day 2

No issues and I started recording with it today

Set to 128 and not on hiccup, recording acoustic guitar and wow, now I get it! That sound!

So crisp, clear, and deep

Starting to hear the depth of this thing now to, little things really stand out now I didn't hear before, and so much separation now with the bass guitar, kick etc

But what an eye opener recording today
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Congrats! It's a awesome unit! Keep us posted.

What DAW are you using?
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Ok, so this is my first day of testing the Symphony I/O on my Macbook Pro Retina Lion 10.7.5, Pro Tools 10:

So far so good, no weird glitches.. everything gets recognized... no dropouts... I can even put my computer to sleep in the middle of a session and wake it back up and it picks up exactly where it left off!! awesome.

BUT... i have the Symphony in front of me on my mix desk & as soon as i open protools and it connects to the Symphony, the Symphony itself emits a quiet, very high pitched frequency... somewhere above 10kHz. my brother who has perfect pitch said it's an F#, but who the heck knows; all i know is that it's distracting. It's quiet, but it's distracting during a mixing session... especially if i'm EQing high frequencies.. When i shut pro tools down, no squeal... as soon as i open it up & it connects to the Symphony, there it is.. Then i thought well let me use iTunes with the Symphony and see what happens.. When i enable my MacBook Pro to use the Symphony as it's Input & Outputs, all is well until i hit play on iTunes... I get the same squeal. When i hit pause, the squeal is completely gone.. it ONLY squeals when i hit play.. But with Pro tools, it squeals the entire time. Granted when the mix is playing back loud over the speakers, you can't hear the squeal because it's masked... however, if i solo'd an instrument and were EQing it, it would be somewhat of an inconvenience.

One crazy thing to note about this, the squeal gets louder as you set the sample rate of the symphony higher.. at 44.1k it's softer than it is at 96k.. Now in the defense of the Symphony, it's not LOUD... but it's certainly too loud to keep it on my desk in front of me in the mixing position.. I guess i'm going to have to rack it.. Easy fix, but even so... WHY?! lolol... all in all, i'm having an excellent experience though.. thank goodness. Lets see what happens when i have my first 8 hour session..

With Real Sonic Love,
-Christopher Sauter
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just wanted to report back in

so far 0 issues, i have had a blast with this, the kicks are just so much better, deeper, the bass is so rich and isolated now and everything just sticks out so much better.

i also registered and got a very nice personal email from apogee which i thought was nice

who responds to a registration?

so far i am in love with this.
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's great to hear everyone's loving their new symphony.
I ordered mine 3 weeks ago and apparently apogee was having some issues getting a few parts and they were all backed up.
It's scheduled to be here not till March...
Oh well.
I guess it will build the anticipation.

Josh
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
So after more time with the symphony I'm certainly happy.. For me it's more revealing than my previous AD-16x.. I only recorded vocals so far and it allowed me to more accurately hear the differences between my preamps.. It wasn't so subtle anymore.. Really cool.. Definitely a step up..

Now my question is, do I upgrade to mountain lion?? I'm terrified!! It's working perfect on my MBP retina 10.7.5... I really don't want anything to get messed up but hopefully like someone previously mentioned the firmware is solid now on 10.8.2

Adios! -Chris
Old 12th February 2013
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by csauter ➑️
So after more time with the symphony I'm certainly happy.. For me it's more revealing than my previous AD-16x.. I only recorded vocals so far and it allowed me to more accurately hear the differences between my preamps.. It wasn't so subtle anymore.. Really cool.. Definitely a step up..

Now my question is, do I upgrade to mountain lion?? I'm terrified!! It's working perfect on my MBP retina 10.7.5... I really don't want anything to get messed up but hopefully like someone previously mentioned the firmware is solid now on 10.8.2

Adios! -Chris
That should be a sideways move
There are no issues that I am aware of. But also no real reasons to move in that direction if you don't need to.
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rock solid via USB over here...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 12th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i am on 10.8.2

so far been excellent

i had one glitch but i think it was because i had screen saver mode on. i left for a long time, came back and re woke the mac, the apogee was glitching, and when i tried to record it just didn't work, everything was late going to track

re boot both and perfect

so watch if your screen saver is on etc. not sure that was it but its the only time i have had an issue
Old 18th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Apogee Symhpony 2x6 - Imac 27 (Mid-2011) OSX 10.8.2 / Logic Pro 9.1.8.

Having huge issues :(
My Symphony has caused me headaches for the past 2 months - Keeps dropping out, and Maestro never works (has run app. 5 times). Normally Maestro does not startup and I have to abort it.

The unit and Logic has to be restarted about 3 times, and 3rd time (normally) it just runs.

Release 4.4 has been un-installed and re-installed more than 20 times.
Unit has been tested by vendor without any power issues.
Unit has also crashed using iTunes only (runs fine for app. 3-5 minutes and then powers down like a car running outta gas (unit itself is still powered on).

Settings for Inputs and Outputs has been changed on multiple occasions withou any luck (minor success when changing from +4dbv to -16dbv) unit ran perfectly but only for a few days, then issue was back.

Any suggestions a more than welcome as no-one has replied and/or resolved this yet :(
Sebi
Old 19th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
oh man...

That's really discouraging to hear Sebi... Mine has been excellent, except there are times when the symphony will go out of sync with protools and everything i record is about a 500ms behind... impossible to do a take like that.. but when i go into the playback engine and just click a different buffer size it magically re-syncs everything... I never had that with my AD-16x... Other than that it's working great over USB 3 on Lion 10.7.5

Seems like you've exhausted all your options except one, would you be willing to go back to Lion and test it there?? I'm TERRIFIED to update to 10.8.2 with the Symphony because some people (like yourself) are having major issues... I'm so curious to see if your problems are stemming from Mountain Lion, or the Symphony...

Good luck with this situation Sebi... all i can say is i've had my fair share of digital/computer recording studio bull****, i completely feel your pain.. there has to be an answer...
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mine runs stable as hell on Lion...
Old 19th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I haven't tried reverting to Lion (10.7) yet, but I made a clean re-install of 10.8 without to no avail :(
I am currently being patient (as hell) waiting for a new Release from Symphony cause the driver works, but I'm guessing Maestro 2 is causing my issue.
any - ANY - help /resolvements / suggestions are very much appreciated
Old 20th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
well i can confrim that out of sync thing is happening, not often, but it has happened to me twice now

i have had to reboot the mac and the apogee and then its fine so i am glad you posted you just went in and clicked the sample rate and it re sync'd

one a brighter not i cannot believe how deep and rich my mixes are compared to my old N12 and the RME ff 800 i had before that. a friend has confirmed how amazing the bass, kick, depth and sound quality is

i will gladly put up with a couple issues (minor) for this increase in sonic quality

not saying it shouldnt be fixed, and i hope it is for everyone but man, i never expected this
Old 25th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Apogee Symhpony 2x6 - Imac 27 (Mid-2011) OSX 10.8.2 / Logic Pro 9.1.8.

Once again submitted to Vendor. This time hoping to get another (new) Symphony back instead :(
Old 25th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Weird. I've used my Symphony IO with a laptop ALL DAY yesterday (16 Analog I/O) with ZERO issues over USB. In fact, I use it over USB all the time with zero issues. Logic 9. Snow Leopard and Lion.
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Just got a Symphony I/O and a Pacifica Pre. They are hooked up to a Macbook Pro Retina, and Logic.

It's been a whopping 24 hours and the USB connection has been perfect. No issues.

Love the combo so far.
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritShooter ➑️
Just got a Symphony I/O and a Pacifica Pre. They are hooked up to a Macbook Pro Retina, and Logic.

It's been a whopping 24 hours and the USB connection has been perfect. No issues.

Love the combo so far.
That's awesome.
I just got my Symphony in yesterday, Thank God!
It took a month and a half to get here, but it was a nice break to be honest.
So far I'm loving it.
Haven't had time to record anything yet, but playback is great.
Very happy with the sound quality so far.
Old 3rd March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Music ➑️
That's awesome.
I just got my Symphony in yesterday, Thank God!
It took a month and a half to get here, but it was a nice break to be honest.
So far I'm loving it.
Haven't had time to record anything yet, but playback is great.
Very happy with the sound quality so far.
Well, I am sure you will be very pleased.

Had a buddy come over yesterday, we made some tracks together and the results are to die for. Needless to say, we are pretty excited.

No more blaming the signal chain, any issues now boil down to my sucky playing.
Old 6th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Exactly

I can't stop playing even my rough tracks in my car

The sound is just so good

Raw

No processing, no mixing

Insanely good
Old 13th April 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
New replacement Symphony arrived and tested.
No issues.
OSX meanwhile updated to 10.8.3. and using release 4.4.
Solved.
Old 13th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cool!

still on my same setup on 10.8.3 and C7.0.3 now

really no issues at all for quite a while, no losing sync.

amazing sound quality
Old 14th April 2013
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
That's so good to hear.... I still have the sync issue but only at the session startup.... I get rid of it by changing anything in the playback engine and it goes away till I shut down pro tools.... All the other issues I had in the beginning have magically disappeared though!!! I had an 8 hour session today and it kept up flawlessly... Sounds fantastic... I love it
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
On the apogee website they say that you can have 16 channels over usb.
Does it mean 8 in and 8 out maximum or is it 16 in and 16 out?

If its 16 Channel total, can you run 14 input ans 2 output or vice versa?

UPDATE
Apogee answered my question, it is 16 in AND out simultaneously.
Old 31st January 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Got my S/io in the mail recently. Im using it in USB mode, its causing me problems though.
The sound goes all distorted and static more then I would like. Im running OS 10.8.5, with 4.6 driver.
My my is a 2009 8 core. Im wondering whether I should downgrade to 4.4 ?
Ive been on the phone with apogee everyday for the last 3 days. Hoping to resolve this soon. I love the box and when it works its sounds amazing!
They had me reseat the ribbon cable that connects the main board to the 2x6 card today. Im hoping that solved the issue once and for all.
πŸ“ Reply