NAMM: EIOSIS Introduces the new AirEQ “Beyond Analog” - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: EIOSIS Introduces the new AirEQ “Beyond Analog”
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom & Roland ➡️
Fabrice exclaims "mon dieu" drops croissant in coffee......
heh
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble ➡️
I've been playing with doing this with two bands at the same frequency, one in boost, one in cut, with a reciprocal Q relationship, but it doesn't get that same satisfyingly wide trough. On the other hand, two bells that move apart really DOES get a nice edge to the shape.

Dave.
Clearly the shape of the flat top bell can be replicated with any para eq plugin using two points, you could do this just as easily in Pro-Q as well. Whats cool about it is how the character knob changes the shape of the top without affecting the width all with single band. So lets say you start equing a particular channel, find the points, but then just find it sounds a little too resonant and want it more transparent, you just drag the character slider down and the sides of those curves stay the same with just the middle top part flattening out.

Same opposite with fire making it more pointed without changing the overall shape that just tightening the Q would normally do.
So the character knob basically maintains Q, just altering the shape of the middle part of the bell from very pointed to flat.

It'll be interesting to hear more about this earth band too and what he's done with the phase response of that exactly as going by what he's said so far that doesn't seem to follow a standard minimal phase response.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble ➡️

Dave.
Dave as a very long time sonalksis user (from the very start) I would just advise you that your skills are very much with coding and not with pr, please leave this type of Internet advertising (shilling) to the the pros such as Steven slate and use your skills to create far superior algorithms
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I am one of the very few guys that believe the future of this industry lies in algorithms and not re-hashed analog boxes of creamy euphonic greatness. There is still a gap, but it is quite narrow. Soon enough music in the box will be the universal norm, and classic gear will be for decorating. I am by nature a technologist and believe the goal is within reach.

That said, companies like Waves are the one's keeping the doubters clinging to their disbelief. After all, if the latest and greatest doesn't deliver than nothing can right?

IMO, the way forward is being led by a very small handful of coders. Dave Berners and his team at UA are at the top of the list, right along with Fabrice Gabriel. (Got add Martin of relab too. Current best in show IMO)

These guys are not modifying code from textbooks and slapping a wicked GUI on top. They are innovating on the mathematical side of things. The pretty GUIs are really the distraction, and the disbelievers only decent premise for argument.

Companies need to market their products, and when small companies do so passionately a lot has to do with how excited they are about moving the art forward. Believe me, most plugins out there contain re-hashed code. A lot of research has been done on digital algorithmic processing and the easy way make a product is to pick a very popular tried and true algo, slap a new GUI on it, and think of a catchy name. The next lowly method is to assign a popular engineer's name to it and claim it will make you sound the same.

Fabrice nor Slate do any of this. They are tackling new problems in the industry with new algorithms and they are absolutely paving the way for a future that leaves analog at the front end of your ad converters and that's it. Believe me, I love iron and transistors. Tubes get a genuine rise out of me, but I'm not naive about what the future holds and where the industry is headed, thanks to guys like Fabrice thinking out of the box.

Of course, if you can make the same picture in the curve display of your built in DAW eq then you're all set, right? Which begs the question. What are you doing in this thread to begin with?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DMG Audio EQuick is the best EQ ever! And it´s only 74.99£!

I can´t wait for Dave´s über EQ!
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi guyz,

thanks again for all the interest about the new AirEQ !

A few things about the subjects that has been discussed here :

• Character
Please believe that I tried a lot of ergonomic options before setting up all the controls this way for AirEQ. This is already with a lot of reticence that I featured the curve display in AirEQ Premium (those who remember the first AirEQ, may also remember that a lot of people requested a curve display for the first release... And these same people wrote me a few months later saying "Never ever put a curve display !!"), but I think it was necessary for the introduction of this new dimension in equalization.

Obviously if we receive a lot of user requests after the release, we'll do something about this point, but I'd like people to first try AirEQ as it is, because I tried myself all the options, and it was very overwhelming to have all these controls at first, especially when users would not be used to the Character parameter.

• Curves
In the neutral mode, the sound will be exactly the same than the first AirEQ (and even more precise, the algo is re-done from sratch, with ultra-precise curve shapes and maximum phase precision). When I see attempts to reproduce what we did, it's interesting to see that the Neutral mode would not sound the same than a regular analog equalization curve.
This is important to me because despite its drawbacks, standard analog equalization curves are really good in many situations, and being able to morph them easily is one of the keys to AirEQ versatility.

I guess I should be very proud to already see some attempts to copy in some ways what the new AirEQ is doing, and despite being very interesting, I already investigated those ways to figure out that they would solve only a tiny part of the whole problem.

You'll figure out pretty quickly that the Water and Fire curves are very specific combinations of poles and zeros, and that the Fire curve, despite its more focused shape, has actually a smoother phase behavior than the Neutral curve.
So yes, the ringing is actually reduced in the Fire mode, while being more focused.

Please also note, that those curves also works at every Q and every gain, which was another big part of the challenge. And the last part of the challenge was to make those sound great and coherent on the whole range of Q, Gain and Frequencies.

Please also note we are already on our way to protect this idea.

Fabrice
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice Gabriel ➡️
Please also note we are already on our way to protect this idea.
Hehe...
So when can we try this new puppy ?
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So can you adjust the character curves separately per band?

If not, it kinda shatters the "everyday all in one EQ" purpose if I´m going to need to put more than one instance of AirEQ to one track. With EQuick for example I NEVER need another instance, it can DO IT ALL with one instance!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
fwiw

i own some Slate products and have tried others in his product line.
i think they are fine products, but in the end i ended up not using the products i bought from Slate. I do think there was a bit more hype than substance and i say that as a personal statement. BUT, i do believe that there are many users that benefit from his product line. I just prefer other products.
On Eiosis... I do have a bit of concern for any manufacturer that abandons their line for a substantial amount of time... than only to make a come back and expect excitement and open pocketbooks.
The EQ looks interesting, and if it fulfills all the hype, i am sure it will fine many users.
Old 1st February 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nice post. Common sense is rare nowadays.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 ➡️
I am one of the very few guys that believe the future of this industry lies in algorithms and not re-hashed analog boxes of creamy euphonic greatness. There is still a gap, but it is quite narrow. Soon enough music in the box will be the universal norm, and classic gear will be for decorating. I am by nature a technologist and believe the goal is within reach.

That said, companies like Waves are the one's keeping the doubters clinging to their disbelief. After all, if the latest and greatest doesn't deliver than nothing can right?

IMO, the way forward is being led by a very small handful of coders. Dave Berners and his team at UA are at the top of the list, right along with Fabrice Gabriel. (Got add Martin of relab too. Current best in show IMO)

These guys are not modifying code from textbooks and slapping a wicked GUI on top. They are innovating on the mathematical side of things. The pretty GUIs are really the distraction, and the disbelievers only decent premise for argument.

Companies need to market their products, and when small companies do so passionately a lot has to do with how excited they are about moving the art forward. Believe me, most plugins out there contain re-hashed code. A lot of research has been done on digital algorithmic processing and the easy way make a product is to pick a very popular tried and true algo, slap a new GUI on it, and think of a catchy name. The next lowly method is to assign a popular engineer's name to it and claim it will make you sound the same.

Fabrice nor Slate do any of this. They are tackling new problems in the industry with new algorithms and they are absolutely paving the way for a future that leaves analog at the front end of your ad converters and that's it. Believe me, I love iron and transistors. Tubes get a genuine rise out of me, but I'm not naive about what the future holds and where the industry is headed, thanks to guys like Fabrice thinking out of the box.

Of course, if you can make the same picture in the curve display of your built in DAW eq then you're all set, right? Which begs the question. What are you doing in this thread to begin with?
What is it with Waves bashing? On a totally unrelated thread you manage to have a go at Waves for being the bad guys who are holding back the future of digital signal processing.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Every time a Slate plugin comes out many websites & magazines compare it to the best and it's either as good as the best or better. If they want to market their own creations they can do they are a business and marketing is a part of business. Most Slate threads are started by users not Slate and theirs lots of rumoured info put about. Slate shows up to put things straight and he's insulted for it. Most audio companies cannot be bothered to engage their customers in forums.

I think a lot of rants directed at slate are just people who are unable to pirate his and Fabrice's software so they like to insult them.

As long as previous owners of AirEQ get an upgrade I will be happy to by AirEQ it looks good and creative to use.
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
As heavily marketed as Slate products are, a lot of the hype comes from users. I think a lot of it is justified but sometimes it seems like rabid fanboism. I think one of the things that sets them apart from the rest of the pack is that they understand the benefits of subtlety and the cumulative effects of subtle processing, and that their algorithms handle that subtlety extremely well. VCC is a prime example of this in that you can set it to be barely noticeable on a channel-by-channel basis and yet the cumulative effect across a whole mix can be great.

If this lives up to both the excitement of its first iteration and Fabrice's track record, it'll be a great plug-in indeed.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Full review of EIOSIS AirEQ from NAMM 2013

Here's a link to the full review I did of the EIOSIS AirEQ at NAMM 2013 when I met Fabrice and shot the following video:

Personally I think water/fire slider is great along with the strength knob (blend) to speed workflow way up. I would like to get a copy of this plugin myself, because I currently don't have anything with this sort of advanced functionality.

It's kind of hard to hear in the video, but if you listen carefully you can hear how all the bonuses of the EQ are there on the male vocalist's voice when using the Water feature, yet none of the negatives. In the AB comparison Fabrice showed me, in "neutral" you get the bonuses of added presence of the vocal but with some nasty resonance... after sliding farther and eventually all the way into Water mode, the resonance disappears yet the vocals are still popping.

I think some of us are trying to compensate for this by EQ'ing too much and then compressing to get rid of the extra. I believe the EIOSIS AirEQ eliminates the need to use as much compression since it flattens out the top and sides of the EQ curve for a more natural, less phasey response.
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
AirEQ should be in beta soon now. Same thing for our website, we are finishing the last details !
We'll have videos and more stuff soon too.

We'll definitely consider adjusting the Character per band, but for the first release we'll keep the global Character. I have very interesting ideas on how make the adjustment per band way easier.

In any case, we'll make sure that AirEQ is the only EQ that you'll need on your track for most of the equalization tasks you have to do while mixing.

I spent a lot of time thinking about the pros and cons and the best ways to adjust all the new concepts in AirEQ, it seems pretty simple and straightforward just by looking at the GUI now, but believe me that it could be done in a lot of different ways and that was not an easy task to get everything right !

The way AirEQ is right now was the best compromise I've found to be at the same time very quick and powerful. Other options may be more powerful but also make the workflow significantly slower.

About the sound, flattening the curves comes with a phase behavior which sounds great because it's shorter (in time response), resulting in a tighter sound. Having these different options and being able to manage them altogether allows to actually use less equalization bands, and thus to be way quicker.

For some tracks, you may have been struggling trying to achieve your goals and adding too much equalization bands, even stacking up several EQs. This inevitably results in more resonances and a longer time response (more phase distortion). Using the character parameter allows you not only to shorten the time-response, which is the natural behavior of the Water and Fire curves, but also to minimize frequency bands, and thus to have a more transparent and more natural equalization at the end.

Fabrice
Old 11th February 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Glad to see you're listening.
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU ➡️
Glad to see you're listening.
Of course ! A product without customers is not really a product.

Fabrice
Old 12th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hello there... any news on the older Eiosis products? I would consider AirEQ but
am a little wary considering the abandonment of Eiosis over the last years until now. It might have been a good idea to have addressed the situation sometime during Namm so that older customers (like me) would be re-assured that their doubts have at the least been acknowledged.
I have Transienter and pretty much all of the Slate products by the way.
Old 27th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Then there was again, only silence.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah - a few weeks on and not even a 'we're not dead, working on it' email. Seriously how hard is it to send an email to your mail database giving an update? Being 'busy' is no excuse - you don't need to hire a designer or write a huge statement - it would take 5 minutes of your time.
Old 27th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➡️
Yeah - a few weeks on and not even a 'we're not dead, working on it' email. Seriously how hard is it to send an email to your mail database giving an update? Being 'busy' is no excuse - you don't need to hire a designer or write a huge statement - it would take 5 minutes of your time.
between fixing FGX, VCC and VTM, and developing VBC, Slates Raven and Siren, as well as working on this EQ I would imagine Fabrice is as busy as busy can be
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Hi guyz,

everyone will be updated soon !

I would have loved for the things to go otherwise with the products, but as I explained (and has it happened already for other companies, like RND..), making those products from scratch again is for YOU guys. I'm not sure that everyone can imagine the amount of work all the products and algos have been requiring so far, but I can assure you a lot of dedication.

We are working as quickly as possible, but time, resources and energy are limited things !

Just to let you know, we'll definitely have a per-band Character adjustment, and we have been debating a lot here those past weeks (mainly, once again, because we want you guys to get the tools you need).
I personally think that having an additional control on the GUI per band would be too overwhelming, so we'll use another way to have that option. Feel free to post here your thoughts about this issue !

At last, I'm definitely not as good as Steven when it comes to forum presence and communication (but.. who can beat him at that, right ?), but keep in mind that the more I spend time on algos, the better for you guys !

We'll have dedicated people for community support at Eiosis, so I can devote my time even more on algos.

Fabrice
Old 28th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I got the same character filters with my free EQ

Attached Thumbnails
NAMM: EIOSIS Introduces the new AirEQ “Beyond Analog”-charactereq.png  
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook ➡️
I got the same character filters with my free EQ
Indeed this plugin is definitely nice !

The main issue is that you can't morph the curves to adjust the resonance behavior, which is the main purpose of the Character parameter. Also, if you check the curves in the highs, they are heavily warped, which is an issue if you want a perfect analog-like equalization behavior.

The sound and technology behind AirEQ's filters are far different from this Butterworth filter design, which is interesting in some situations, but for me which is not sufficient to address the issues of everyday mixing like I wanted to do with AirEQ.

Also, AirEQ has perfect filters across the whole frequency range.

Fabrice
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Fabrice! Any word on when or if your wonderful deesser will be updated to 64 bit? It hasn't passed validation in Logic for a quite a while so unfortunately has been "retired".

Sent from my iPad
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Just to let you know, we'll definitely have a per-band Character adjustment, and we have been debating a lot here those past weeks (mainly, once again, because we want you guys to get the tools you need).
I personally think that having an additional control on the GUI per band would be too overwhelming, so we'll use another way to have that option. Feel free to post here your thoughts about this issue !
Great news, thanks for listening!

Why not just use the main character control fader for all the bands? When you choose a band, the main character fader will snap to where it was adjusted for that band. Simple. Plus some lock in button, where you can adjust all the characters or the bands you choose at once. Like in EQuick and EQuality you can just choose the bands you want to move the same time.

Also one thing that would be great too. More than AB test. ABCDEFG... test! Just like in EQuick and EQuality. It´s so much useful to have more AB slots than just two.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Indeed this plugin is definitely nice !

The main issue is that you can't morph the curves to adjust the resonance behavior, which is the main purpose of the Character parameter. Also, if you check the curves in the highs, they are heavily warped, which is an issue if you want a perfect analog-like equalization behavior.

The sound and technology behind AirEQ's filters are far different from this Butterworth filter design, which is interesting in some situations, but for me which is not sufficient to address the issues of everyday mixing like I wanted to do with AirEQ.

Also, AirEQ has perfect filters across the whole frequency range.

Fabrice
it was a joke
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any plans for implementing pitch tracking feature? then this could be the ultimate.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
it was a joke.......Classic
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I hope the price is also a joke ($349)
📝 Reply