NAMM: EIOSIS Introduces the new AirEQ “Beyond Analog” - Page 12 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: EIOSIS Introduces the new AirEQ “Beyond Analog”
Old 1st February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➡️
i tried it ....and i can tell it is ...the curve are just undoinable with any other eq ....look at the top in 150Hz you can boost smoothly cause the Q is wide and keep boosting but dont' ring the freq cause its PLAN !! so you keep 150 under control and being the center axes of the q ...even if you boost crazy
look at the gain cranked !!

Check out the DMG Equilibrium with the Butterworth algortithm. It't the same type of curve.
Old 1st February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcatthedog ➡️
yes. the wait is frustrating but perhaps Fabrice & co are sticking to their knitting and getting slate aax64 out the door ?
One of the legends about companies is that some don't really care about delivering their products. Trust me, delivering a product to a customer is the only goal for a company and not being able to do so is the most heartbreaking thing.
We had some issues in 2013 which induced many delays, and those issues are now fixed and we'll be able to go ahead much more quickly in 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack ➡️
Lots of people (myself included) have a bad taste for the way the "old" company Eiosis did it's customers wrong... Even giving Fabrice the benefit of the doubt that this Eiosis would be different and suspending logic that AirEQ is somehow a new plugin from a new company (even though the plugin already exists and has for years) the lack of info, updates, etc. do nothing to repair/enhance, etc. my opinion of Eiosis nor does it give me any reason to believe anything is "new" with how they do business or treat the long time customers of the company formerly known as and also now known as Eiosis.

Fabrice does great work and I know the EQ will be great but he should just release it as Slate FG-EQ and let Eiosis stay dead (like their reputation)

My 2c, of course
Please read my response here about this :
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/9806579-post109.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir ➡️
Check out the DMG Equilibrium with the Butterworth algortithm. It't the same type of curve.
Not really.. But you'll have to wait for the delivery to figure this out, so I'll keep working on it until then !

Fabrice
Old 2nd February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hi Fabrice,

I know this issue has been addresses, but what about the upgrade policy?

For a company that abandoned its costumers, it would be a "moral reparation" initiative to provide free upgrade, at least to the non-premium version.
And maybe upgrade to the premium version for those that had the surround Air Eq or bought other Eiosis plugins, like the de-esser (that had huge delay compensation errors in Logic 9, by the way).

As for the "water" curve, we'll wait and HEAR how much different it SOUNDS from the Butterworh curve in DMG Equilibrium...because I SEE they LOOK the same...

Regards!
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
wow

thread start : 23rd Januar 2013
today: 2rd Februar 2014

coming soon, coming soon, coming soon
Old 2nd February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir ➡️
Hi Fabrice,

I know this issue has been addresses, but what about the upgrade policy?

For a company that abandoned its costumers, it would be a "moral reparation" initiative to provide free upgrade, at least to the non-premium version.
And maybe upgrade to the premium version for those that had the surround Air Eq or bought other Eiosis plugins, like the de-esser (that had huge delay compensation errors in Logic 9, by the way).

As for the "water" curve, we'll wait and HEAR how much different it SOUNDS from the Butterworh curve in DMG Equilibrium...because I SEE they LOOK the same...

Regards!
I already addressed this several times on GS, but I guess that it's quite impossible to go thru all the posts !
So yes, former AirEQ customers will be provided with a free Standard license.

Also, I would add that if there would have to be a "moral reparation", that would be from my former business partner to Eiosis' former customers, not the "company" that I fully own now, and, despite the fact that it's not really an easy thing to receive extremely negative comments about that issue, that I perfectly understand on a customer point of view, I decided to handle this "moral reparation" myself, when it would have been probably way simpler to focus on Slate Digital only.

I'll keep working to build a great team around the Slate Digital products and the Eiosis products, and I hope that all the failures of the past will be soon forgotten, so we can make our customers happy with great innovations and products.

As for the Water, indeed you'll have to try it for yourself.

Fabrice
Old 2nd February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Another question about that upgrade policy: What about us who have bought second hand licenses? I'm not registered with Eiosos in any way, but I got a pair of licenses on my key. Will there be an upgrade price available in this case?
Old 11th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01010110 ➡️
Another question about that upgrade policy: What about us who have bought second hand licenses? I'm not registered with Eiosos in any way, but I got a pair of licenses on my key. Will there be an upgrade price available in this case?
Yes, we'll find a way to have an upgrade path !

Fabrice
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Fabrice, any news on how AirEQ is progressing? Will we see a release date soon?
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
news?
Old 17th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

28 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
So as I understand it, fabrice and some other dude were the core of Eiosis, and at some point he other dude messed up, an Eiosis became abandon ware. Is that right?

What I don't understand is why someone like fabrice, who enjoys an excellent reputation and much good will through his work with Slate, would be trying to revivify the corpse of Eiosis. Why not just introduce a new eq ("Slate announces the most perfect eq plug ever devised...) with a new name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J ➡️
So as I understand it, fabrice and some other dude were the core of Eiosis, and at some point he other dude messed up, an Eiosis became abandon ware. Is that right?

What I don't understand is why someone like fabrice, who enjoys an excellent reputation and much good will through his work with Slate, would be trying to revivify the corpse of Eiosis. Why not just introduce a new eq ("Slate announces the most perfect eq plug ever devised...) with a new name?

Why?????

Because many of us here on this discussion (and I'm sure others) purchased this plugin and now with updates to OS's and Daw's etc. the plugin is useless, and I'm sure others like me only found out when we went to check the Eiosis website looking for updated versions only to be confronted by a holding page stating "Air EQ coming soon!" and not a mention of the previous plugin!.....pissed ? Hell Yeah!!. And why would I be interested in their new plugin when the previous one with the same name has been abandoned?

I appreciate Fabrice has gone some way to explain the situ, and promises a redeem for us original users and a discounted upgrade path the to the new one. So we wait patiently

Also that is now one year and 3 months ago! And the fact that Slate Digital have released several plugs in in the last year and half (apparently all coded by Fabrice) leaves you feeling a little under valued
Lives for gear

28 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 ➡️
Why?????

Because many of us here on this discussion (and I'm sure others) purchased this plugin and now with updates to OS's and Daw's etc. the plugin is useless, and I'm sure others like me only found out when we went to check the Eiosis website looking for updated versions only to be confronted by a holding page stating "Air EQ coming soon!" and not a mention of the previous plugin!.....pissed ? Hell Yeah!!. And why would I be interested in their new plugin when the previous one with the same name has been abandoned?

I appreciate Fabrice has gone some way to explain the situ, and promises a redeem for us original users and a discounted upgrade path the to the new one. So we wait patiently

Also that is now one year and 3 months ago! And the fact that Slate Digital have released several plugs in in the last year and half (apparently all coded by Fabrice) leaves you feeling a little under valued
I feel your pain. I have several hundred dollars worth of stillwell plugins that have been useless since the new logic came out. Stillwell had beta versions of 64 bit plugs--non working betas--in 2010, four years ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J ➡️
I feel your pain. I have several hundred dollars worth of stillwell plugins that have been useless since the new logic came out. Stillwell had beta versions of 64 bit plugs--non working betas--in 2010, four years ago

I hear you, I guess the main reason I'm bothered is it was a great plug, and I used it a lot for smooth hi end boost on vox. I mostly use the UAD Pultech for that but like to have a high quality native plug for when I run out of UAD juice. I have 4-5 other plugs that are out of date now, also and some have a paid upgrade but I'm not bothered about those.
It's all great when these small sometimes one man band developers come along with new great plugs and ask for us fellow slutz to support them, but now days I think hmmmm will they be around in a year or two?

A lot of other types of purchases you'd never entrust to a start up or unknown, but we seem all too happy to do so for music gear or at least software. Then we just feel like idiots when they disappear. No wonder the likes of Waves and UAD have thriving businesses. Their platforms or policies may have there down sides but at least you know they ain't disappearing in the near future!
Old 18th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Innocent question

What did you people pay for the original plug and how long did it work and when did it stop working ?

i am sympathetic but some of you make it sound so end of the world, unbelievably catastrophic and costly , but we are actually talking about 1 plug in no longer being supported right ?

Or have i missed something and the world did come to an end ?
Quote:
What did you people pay for the original plug and how long did it work and when did it stop working ?

i am sympathetic but some of you make it sound so end of the world, unbelievably catastrophic and costly , but we are actually talking about 1 plug in no longer being supported right ?

Or have i missed something and the world did come to an end ?
Does any of that matter?

Tell me what plugs or software would you buy with the knowledge that "please note we won't be updating or supporting this product in 1-2 years, but we will bring out a completely new one and you can buy that if you want?"

Also consider if you want to revisit a mix, your stuck.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Heheh. I wanted that Eiosis DeEsser and tried contacting the ghost town of a website a bunch of times.
Nothing. For months....and then some more nothing, for good....

No thanks, Fabrice!

I like Slate plugs for when I run out of UAD DSP but FabFilter already slaughtered the software DeEsser game and Eiosis may or may not be a real company and Slate comes out with plugs a year after they announce them.
To each his own, for sure, but I don't have time for the tail-chasing.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Maybe it would be a good idea to move the few Eiosis plug-ins to Slate Digital so all is handled by one brand/company?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Ya i think it does cus

Quote:
Does any of that matter?

Tell me what plugs or software would you buy with the knowledge that "please note we won't be updating or supporting this product in 1-2 years, but we will bring out a completely new one and you can buy that if you want?"

Also consider if you want to revisit a mix, your stuck.
Nothing is forever and i just find the constant whining gets old real quick: things don't always work out in life and we all need fallbacks

I get it (your frustration) but especially with software 3-5 years is a long time and its not as if you can't just load in another eq and move on ?

I am sure this sounds harsh but really its one plug in: big deal ? Anyway sounds like Fabrice is trying to help you guys out

Personally, i would have bought another eq from a reputable established company and moved on

To each their own: hope this works out.
Old 20th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Why?????

Believe me, I would really like (and all the team) to have AirEQ released by now.. So I really appreciate your patience !!

Those delays are due to the innovations we put in our plugins. It's not hard to come up with a plugin which features well-known technology, or which re-use something which has been made previously but which is just re-vamped.

On Slate Digital and Eiosis sides, we innovate and push the things to the extremes for each new release.
Especially for AirEQ, there is several things which need some very tedious things to be done : each Q/Gain/Fire/Water settings has to be adjusted by hand, and has to perfectly and continuously morph with the settings around.

So, it's not only technically extremely complicated, but also artistically very challenging. We could have released AirEQ months ago, and many of the users would have probably use some settings and say "it sounds great, but I have to re-adjust that", or "yes but, in that case", etc..

For all the plugins, we want users to think "yes, of course. It has to sound that way, it makes sense". Reaching that goal put a tremendous amount of additional work on our side, but I guess that's our job to simplify yours : we do not take shortcuts so you'll not spend some extra time fixing what we did not care enough to fix on our side.

For AirEQ, I had to ask myself the question, for each setting, switching Neutral/Fire/Water : "Does it make sense/sound good ?". And then, find the right technical solution so it fits what I thought would sound good.

When I analyze some competitor's plugins, I try to figure out what was the process of developing them.. And sometimes I can't think about anything else than "oh well.. we have that technical solution here.. it's good enough to do stuff, and anyway users won't notice.. or they'll figure out by themselves how to make things right for themselves after all.."

And maybe they're right, maybe I want to go too far and going that far is useless ? Anyhow, I have my way of doing things and they have theirs, so be it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan ➡️
Heheh. I wanted that Eiosis DeEsser and tried contacting the ghost town of a website a bunch of times.
Nothing. For months....and then some more nothing, for good....

No thanks, Fabrice!

I like Slate plugs for when I run out of UAD DSP but FabFilter already slaughtered the software DeEsser game and Eiosis may or may not be a real company and Slate comes out with plugs a year after they announce them.
To each his own, for sure, but I don't have time for the tail-chasing.
I have a lot of respect for FabFilter, I think their products are great !
But as we came with the principle of their de-esser years before they released theirs, we came up with the AirEQ filtering technique years before some other plugin developers featured it. The curse of innovation (and not to work with the right people at first on my side... but that's another story) is that you spend a lot of time coming up with new things that others may take inspiration from.

Once again, that's the game. I screwed up not selecting the right people to work with me in the past, I paid the price of shame and being late, losing some exclusivity one some ideas, losing money, energy, etc..
And maybe I don't know how to market those innovations properly and some other companies knows better how to do it. Or maybe people don't care about those innovations... Or maybe people don't trust us as a brand and will wait for someone else to come up with the same idea later on.

But I still plan to bring a lot of new innovations to the table, as we are (with a lot of delay, with poor follow up, I agree) bringing with the new AirEQ.

I wish I could release those new innovations in a breathe, as I wish that all of you guys had Grammy's.

Now I understand that some people are not patient and want those innovations now, or will pass on using our products because we failed bringing them quickly enough. Well once again, I wish I could release all this fast and for free, but my commitment is to do things perfectly and still try to sell those innovations, to be able to fund the next innovations and also.. to make a living.

One of our competitors came up with a "AirEQ-ish" curve which is simple to do, inspired by our still-soon-to-be-released-AirEQ . Bravo, it's technically simple and he reserved himself the right to go further one day.

On my side, the patent-pending AirEQ idea had to be pushed all the way to the end before release, that's how I do it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind ➡️
Maybe it would be a good idea to move the few Eiosis plug-ins to Slate Digital so all is handled by one brand/company?
Eiosis and Slate Digital products has a different approach, as we are more focused on analog emulations with Steven, I'll focus on other things with Eiosis.

Quote:
Nothing is forever and i just find the constant whining gets old real quick: things don't always work out in life and we all need fallbacks

I get it (your frustration) but especially with software 3-5 years is a long time and its not as if you can't just load in another eq and move on ?

I am sure this sounds harsh but really its one plug in: big deal ? Anyway sounds like Fabrice is trying to help you guys out

Personally, i would have bought another eq from a reputable established company and moved on

Well said.

All in all, I guess that I'm the most frustrated not to see things released quickly enough, because it means that I still have to work on it !

Fabrice
Old 21st March 2014 | Show parent
Quote:

I'm not sitting here whining, I moved on yonks ago, bought other plugs etc. Me personally I like to be professional, so I try and chose who I spend my cash with selectively, I like to feel like when I give you my money you appreciate I chose your brand because of quality and a professional set up. Not I should feel privileged to use your product, and so what if it doesn't work any longer we got money to make selling other products.

If Eiosis just disappeared then I wouldn't talking about them now, but they didn't they advertised the same plug they stopped developing (ok new curves and features etc.) and with the Slate hype, want everyone to get excited about it. That's fine their doing their business, but don't expect no backlash from users that lost out.

I'm sorry you and Fabrice are tired of hearing it, but I'll keep making my point. Maybe when the new plug comes out and I'm maybe floored with the sound and so on, I will shut up, but till then get used to it!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Perspective

Quote:
I'm not sitting here whining, I moved on yonks ago, bought other plugs etc. Me personally I like to be professional, so I try and chose who I spend my cash with selectively, I like to feel like when I give you my money you appreciate I chose your brand because of quality and a professional set up. Not I should feel privileged to use your product, and so what if it doesn't work any longer we got money to make selling other products.

If Eiosis just disappeared then I wouldn't talking about them now, but they didn't they advertised the same plug they stopped developing (ok new curves and features etc.) and with the Slate hype, want everyone to get excited about it. That's fine their doing their business, but don't expect no backlash from users that lost out.

I'm sorry you and Fabrice are tired of hearing it, but I'll keep making my point. Maybe when the new plug comes out and I'm maybe floored with the sound and so on, I will shut up, but till then get used to it!
Fair enough. I don't own the plug or have any association with the company, just thought any company can fail and any product can lose support.

So you guys bought the plug for what a few hundred dollars and used the plug with never any guarantee that it would work and or be supported in perpetuity and then the current situation arose.

personally i think there is a counter argument to be made that you got your use of the plug and are lucky the company and plug is being revived and you will have a discounted trade up path. Fabrice could have started a new plug and you 'd be paying full pop: would you be happier ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Not sure if your attitude is professional. Usually a professional uses whatever tools at their disposal to get the job done then moves on to the next job, if a tool ceases to be available then they pick another tool or brand and still get the job done.

I dunno because my past experience is talking about construction and I was never a true professional in the sense I couldn't undersign something for you as a professional could.

Anyway the term professional gets thrown about a lot without any meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb ➡️
Not sure if your attitude is professional. Usually a professional uses whatever tools at their disposal to get the job done then moves on to the next job, if a tool ceases to be available then they pick another tool or brand and still get the job done.
Is that not exactly I said in my post you quoted?

I don't usually bother with these tit for tat responses back and forth as they solve nothing, but I will keep making my point even if it falls on deaf ears.
Old 5th May 2014
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Is the big thing about this eq, the flat top peaks? The Harrison x eq has that with Mixbus. Aside from phase, dynamic, linear and phasing, what else is there? Is this like the Surfer? Maybe I'm not getting it, but really curious about "revolutionary" statement claims unless a different way of handling something in a convenient way (ie Clariphonic). Is this more Slate style marketing hype speak? Because although I like the products, the over the top crap really turns me off.

I do respect Fabrice's work and the fact he seems willing to "man up" and try to undo some of the damage the previous product failing did, just concerned that this will be a really good product that's totally oversold where the hype obscures objectivity. Is this like The Pusher where it points you to a different mindset about how you eq?
Old 6th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis ➡️
Is the big thing about this eq, the flat top peaks? The Harrison x eq has that with Mixbus. Aside from phase, dynamic, linear and phasing, what else is there? Is this like the Surfer? Maybe I'm not getting it, but really curious about "revolutionary" statement claims unless a different way of handling something in a convenient way (ie Clariphonic). Is this more Slate style marketing hype speak? Because although I like the products, the over the top crap really turns me off.

I do respect Fabrice's work and the fact he seems willing to "man up" and try to undo some of the damage the previous product failing did, just concerned that this will be a really good product that's totally oversold where the hype obscures objectivity. Is this like The Pusher where it points you to a different mindset about how you eq?
I like to describe AirEQ as providing a new dimension to EQuing, i.e., additionally to Frequency, Q and Gain, you have now Character, which adjust the way your boosts and cuts resonate.

So you basically have an additional parameter to adjust the resonance of your EQ bands.

As you can imagine, this project was very hectic and we ran into a lot of unexpected issues (no, we don't delay releases just for the pleasure of doing it), but you'll be able to figure out by yourself soon !

Fabrice
Old 6th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Great plug in.
New features are really useful.
I noticed one thing in the eiosis forum don't know if you check it Fabrice.
The last version is stable so I used it as my main EQ.
Old 6th May 2014 | Show parent
Reviews Editor

Quote:
It's all great when these small sometimes one man band developers come along with new great plugs and ask for us fellow slutz to support them, but now days I think hmmmm will they be around in a year or two?

A lot of other types of purchases you'd never entrust to a start up or unknown, but we seem all too happy to do so for music gear or at least software. Then we just feel like idiots when they disappear. No wonder the likes of Waves and UAD have thriving businesses. Their platforms or policies may have there down sides but at least you know they ain't disappearing in the near future!
This is a very valid point, one that deeply concerns me and that should be discussed further - but not in this thread I believe.
Old 22nd May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Bump, for an update on release date from Fabrice?

One month, two months….2015?
Old 22nd May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Bump, for an update on release date from Fabrice?

One month, two months….2015?
📝 Reply