Quantcast
Can I buy Cubase 7 and download 6.5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can I buy Cubase 7 and download 6.5
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Can I buy Cubase 7 and download 6.5

Greetings, I am thinking of getting Cubase 7. But I'm afraid it isn't ready yet. I could buy 6.5 which I am certain is ready for my purposes, but I'm wondering if Steinberg allows one to downgrade so to speak, so I would still have the license for v7, but temporarily use 6.5.

I've heard people talkj about downloading versions from the site once you have a mySteinberg account. Anyone know if this is possible?
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I upgraded from 6.5 to 7 and my license only says Cubase 7. When I upgraded my Pro Tools from 9 to 10 I received a license that said Pro Tools 9-10 and I can open either version. So I would guess Cubase would not allow this.

Their tech support responds within a day or two. Shoot them an email. For what it's worth Cubase 7 is pretty stable for a new release.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwebsteraudio ➡️
I upgraded from 6.5 to 7 and my license only says Cubase 7. When I upgraded my Pro Tools from 9 to 10 I received a license that said Pro Tools 9-10 and I can open either version. So I would guess Cubase would not allow this.

Their tech support responds within a day or two. Shoot them an email. For what it's worth Cubase 7 is pretty stable for a new release.
Thanks drewwebsteraudio.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I dont think so, I bought 6.5 right before 7 came out and got the free upgrade to 7, looks like you can still do that on ebay (where I got mine) I got the educational edition for like 219.00 and have full versions of 6.5 and 7.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rknrollo ➡️
I dont think so, I bought 6.5 right before 7 came out and got the free upgrade to 7, looks like you can still do that on ebay (where I got mine) I got the educational edition for like 219.00 and have full versions of 6.5 and 7.
Interesting rknrollo. Are you saying you bought a new educational version on Ebay and then paid to upgrade to V7 which gave you the full license?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All Cu-base and (AFAIK) Nuendo licenses contain licences for previous versions. This is why I can, after purchasing an upgrade to v7, still open v3, v4, v5, v6.

Cheers.
Old 23rd January 2013
Deleted User
I would just grab C7 and get moving. The mixer is completely redesigned in C7 so it would take some re-learning if you have 6.5 and then move over to C7. When I opened it up I was like whaaa?? Ive been a Cubase user since SX2. Then SX3, C4, C5, C6
Old 23rd January 2013
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
You can only get 6.5 or older versions from old stock, distributors don't have anything pre v7 anymore.
Just get 7, you can use every previous version if needed, and they can all be installed separately (is done by default).
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborinvain ➡️
Interesting rknrollo. Are you saying you bought a new educational version on Ebay and then paid to upgrade to V7 which gave you the full license?
I didnt pay anything to upgrade, I got the EDU which is the full version at a big discount and I qualified under grace period to get the free upgrade to 7, I have the full license for both.
Old 23rd January 2013
Deleted User
EDU means your a STUDENT to get that discount yes?
Old 23rd January 2013
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
School, teacher or student, yes.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I´m running 7.01 without a single problem..
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➡️
EDU means your a STUDENT to get that discount yes?
Supposedly but a few vendors on Ebay like where I bought mine don't even care,
I'm not a student,teacher or anything else but I do belong to a music ministry at church which I guess is good to get the discount but I asked them if they wanted my "teaching credentials" they said nope and I ordered it, registered it, upgraded it and all good and the people selling it to you are responsible for that as Steinberg wont bother with it unless you buy it staight from them.

I would say anyone can buy the EDU edition with ease, I think they figure if they get some money from you better than having someone pirate it.
📝 Reply