Quantcast
Gain Stages - Duet2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gain Stages - Duet2
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Gain Stages - Duet2

I am using an Apogee Duet2 as my output for my itunes library. Just a question about gain stages. I've mostly been going by trial and error. Was wondering if there were any 'rules', should I have my iTunes volume up around 95-100%, and monitors at 50%(since I don't want them cranked too loud when they pop for any reason) and control the overall volume with the Duet output? I searched old threads but couldn't find anything. Would appreciate any info. Thanks.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have the same setup with some Event 20/20s and that's how I do it. Exceptions will abound but in general you'll want to be getting near max level from the source program.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
As with most interface software in the options you can set -10dB or +4dB output line levels (it's in your manual). How that is set will effect output volume.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Got it, right now I see it set to +4dBu does one work better when listneing to itunes? I assume I would just change it back when working with my DAW?
Old 22nd January 2013

🎧 10 years
Turn iTunes down and you're digitally attenuating ie reducing bit depth effectively. Leave iTunes at full, set your monitors to a reasonable level and control the level in the analogue domain - I assume the duet's volume control does this.
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
That makes sense, thanks a lot for the feedback. In my car I have to turn my ipod down to about 50% so it doesn't sound like complete crap. I wonder if its because the speakers are stock or if I need a preamp to raise the level?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have a Duet2.
If you want to improve the sound of iTunes through the Duet2 I suggest you try something like BitPerfect or Amarra Hi Fi (by Sonic Studio).
Old 23rd January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by galway2012 ➑️
That makes sense, thanks a lot for the feedback. In my car I have to turn my ipod down to about 50% so it doesn't sound like complete crap. I wonder if its because the speakers are stock or if I need a preamp to raise the level?
It's probably that your car's iPod input has too much gain. A preamp would be the opposite of what you need!

In this situation...it's a car. Compromised listening position. Just take it for what it is!
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yup same here ... my stock stereo doesn't like anything coming into the aux input that's too hot. My iPod sounds good plugged into it with around 80% volume - no distortion. Noticed that on my other car, too, but it'll let me take the iPod to around 90% volume. I think it's just a car thing.
Old 23rd January 2013
Deleted d44e7f2
as others have said leave your itunes at full volume and adjust from the duet. as far as volume on your monitors I always leave mine right in the middle of their volume range on the back/front and control the volume from my interface.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➑️
I have a Duet2.
If you want to improve the sound of iTunes through the Duet2 I suggest you try something like BitPerfect or Amarra Hi Fi (by Sonic Studio).
I've started re-burning my CDs with Apple lossless (averaging around 850 kpbs, why do they get ripped at random bit rates?) I am not familiar with BitPerfect or Amarra HiFi, do they replace iTunes what is their function?

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've started re-burning my CDs with Apple lossless (averaging around 850 kpbs, why do they get ripped at random bit rates?) I am not familiar with BitPerfect or Amarra HiFi, do they replace iTunes what is their function?
No they don't replace iTunes.
They work with iTunes.

They playback songs at exactly what their bit depth and sample rates are.
So if you have HD audio files (e.g. 24bit 96k) they play them back at exactly those specs rather than decoding.
They make the necessary changes on the fly when playing a playlist.

They offer improved sound quality while still being able to use iTunes and the convenience of playlists etc.

BitPerfect is from the App Store so no demo but very inexpensive.
Amarra Hi Fi is from Sonic Studio and does have a 14 day demo.

BitPerfect "hijacks" the audio in your Mac so once you have finished using iTunes you simply disable BitPerfect.

Amarra Hi Fi doesn't do that so you can swap from iTunes to You Tube to music with your DAW seamlessly.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What happens when you switch to the other line output setting (-10db or +4dB) option in the Duet's interface software?
πŸ“ Reply