Focusrite Saffire pro 26 i/o Firewire. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Saffire pro 26 i/o Firewire.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years

If anyone using this. There is alot of forums but noone trustworthy.
I have a friend who bought this new, he done a lot of work for Swedish television, using the onboard preamps. Recorded acoustic music such as Jazz classic etc.
He loved this interface. When he bought it it was expensive. He wanna sell this to me. Around 450 usd. Some people have problems "stabillity issues" and bad sound, others have no problems and loving this Saffire pro 26.

I wanna use the preamps, not just the firewire/adat interface.
I use Windows 7 x64.
Focusrite latest drivers is dated 01/08/2011. Maybe the problem was driver related or?

It´s not to mutch money, I really hate buying something I dont like. I get stomach pain. I could go to a pub and have a real blast. But I dont wanna buy tools I will hate. Doesnt matter if it´s 10 or 1000 usd.

Should I buy it?

BTW I already have one Steinberg MR816x. Maybe I should stay with that system and buy more of thoose insted?
I only use Cubase.
Regards
Johan
Old 22nd January 2013
GS Community Manager

Don't see why you'd need it if you had an MR816X. It'll be a sidegrade at best.

Do you just need more inputs? Grab an Octopre (the newer ones) and pop it into the MR816X ADAT.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat ➡️
Don't see why you'd need it if you had an MR816X. It'll be a sidegrade at best.

Do you just need more inputs? Grab an Octopre (the newer ones) and pop it into the MR816X ADAT.
This. Even though I love my Saffire Pro 24.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Yeah I just need more inputs. I have a 32 channels Tascam dtrs, and I want a more mobile system to.

You think the new OctoPre MkII Dynamic is just as good or better then Saffire pro 26?
I will not have any benefits by sticking to a complete system, like three Steinberg MR816x insted of mixing between differant brands?

I can understand that it has some advantage to have a few differant preamps. Have something to choose from.
Thanks for helping me out.
Johan
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmj ➡️
Yeah I just need more inputs. I have a 32 channels Tascam dtrs, and I want a more mobile system to.

You think the new OctoPre MkII Dynamic is just as good or better then Saffire pro 26?
I will not have any benefits by sticking to a complete system, like three Steinberg MR816x insted of mixing between differant brands?

I can understand that it has some advantage to have a few differant preamps. Have something to choose from.
Thanks for helping me out.
Johan
Well, for portability, the Saffire Pro 24 is a good option. I have the DSP version, and it's very stable. For just more inputs, you might want to check out the Liquid Saffire 56 (I have this one as well). The liquid channel preamps are a great bonus.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
That seems kind of pricey for a used interface like that. I bought 2 Pro40's off Ebay (both in perfect condition, one even had the original box with unregistered software) for around ~$350 shipped for each.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebustrain ➡️
That seems kind of pricey for a used interface like that. I bought 2 Pro40's off Ebay (both in perfect condition, one even had the original box with unregistered software) for around ~$350 shipped for each.

I just e-mail him and said no. But he booked the freight, so he paid in advance. I will pay that bill ofcourse. Saffire Liquid 56 is a preamp I really want. Only heard great things about it.

But noone would try to stick to one system?
Like the steinberg?
Has great reviews as well.
regards
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmj ➡️
I just e-mail him and said no. But he booked the freight, so he paid in advance. I will pay that bill ofcourse. Saffire Liquid 56 is a preamp I really want. Only heard great things about it.

But noone would try to stick to one system?
Like the steinberg?
Has great reviews as well.
regards
I love the Liquid Saffire, even just as extra preamps. I don't actually use the AD/DA conversion. I just run it straight through analog into my mixer and use the mixer's converters.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Steinberg hardware as well. But as far as interfaces go, I don't think there's any need to stick with one particular brand. They will all work just fine with just about any DAW. I am using both of my Focusrite interfaces with Cubase.
Old 22nd January 2013
GS Community Manager

"Interfaces" are often hobbled a little when it comes to using them as racks of preamps only. I think it better to have one interface and then add on purpose-designed boxes to that, rather than compromise.
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat ➡️
"Interfaces" are often hobbled a little when it comes to using them as racks of preamps only. I think it better to have one interface and then add on purpose-designed boxes to that, rather than compromise.
Well, sure I have dedicated pres as well, of course. But I still love my Liquid channels.
📝 Reply