Quantcast
UAD Precision Multiband Compressor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD Precision Multiband Compressor
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
UAD Precision Multiband Compressor

Thinking about getting it.. anyone have anything good or bad to say about it?

I'm mainly looking for compression, as I do not try to do much mastering, but the expander and gate could come in handy. Looks like it could work for small amounts of EQ?

If I could only buy one UAD mastering plug in (with compression in mind) would anyone recommend anything else? Or is this my best bet?

Thanks!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverberator ➑️
Thinking about getting it.. anyone have anything good or bad to say about it?

I'm mainly looking for compression, as I do not try to do much mastering, but the expander and gate could come in handy. Looks like it could work for small amounts of EQ?

If I could only buy one UAD mastering plug in (with compression in mind) would anyone recommend anything else? Or is this my best bet?

Thanks!
there are so many threads about that!
and: try the demo
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
USe it on every mix...great sounding!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really efficient unit...gate is a killa. It's a really good multiband tool.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It depends on what host you're using. If you use it in Pro Tools, it's long processing delay will get you into trouble: over 15000 samples. It's using linear phase crossovers, that's where that latency comes from.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If I'm going to use a multiband compressor plug, it's the one I use. Powerful tool if used correctly. Nice to set up effect, and then back off the mix % so it's not overkill.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic ➑️
It depends on what host you're using. If you use it in Pro Tools, it's long processing delay will get you into trouble: over 15000 samples. It's using linear phase crossovers, that's where that latency comes from.
Can you elaborate more on the sampling? I am using Pro Tools 10 with UAD Apollo, should I be worried about this? Is the latency only experienced while recording?

Thanks for your replies!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Can you elaborate more on the sampling? I am using Pro Tools 10 with UAD Apollo, should I be worried about this? Is the latency only experienced while recording?

Thanks for your replies!
when you use it on mastering jobs, than it's ok.
for mixing it's horrible (looooong latency)!!!!
try the demo!!!!!! 14 days to check the plug....
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nott ➑️
Thanks for your input!! Definitely trying out the demo before I buy!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nott ➑️
Yeah, the latency is freaking annoying!!!
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It was my go to mastering comp and works well when you know how to use it.

However, it has been replaced by the DSP Audio DSM, which was developed by Paul Frindle, the guy who was a head engineer on the legendary SSL boards and comp and the Sony Digital console and plugins...

Pro Audio DSP - Professional Audio Plugins - Audio Units, Pro Tools and VST for Mac and PC

Watch the videos.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use it often. Mostly for mastering but also great in a mix when you're dealing with a troublesome track. You get so much control with this. It's amazing but if not used carefully it can screw up your sound.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➑️
It was my go to mastering comp and works well when you know how to use it.

However, it has been replaced by the DSP Audio DSM, which was developed by Paul Frindle, the guy who was a head engineer on the legendary SSL boards and comp and the Sony Digital console and plugins...

Pro Audio DSP - Professional Audio Plugins - Audio Units, Pro Tools and VST for Mac and PC

Watch the videos.
The DSM looks very good and more user friendly. A little more expensive though. I will consider getting this one since there is a buy 2 get one free sale at Plugin Alliance.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Does anyone else have experience with the DSP Audio DSM or have any other recommendations?
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The DSM looks very good and more user friendly. A little more expensive though. I will consider getting this one since there is a buy 2 get one free sale at Plugin Alliance.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Does anyone else have experience with the DSP Audio DSM or have any other recommendations?
i'm using both:
prec multiband: as multiband compressor
dsm: as de-esser, frequency selective dynamic control or frequency matching - but not as "multiband" compressor
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sonically, a great sounding MB. Keeps the integrity of the audio intact, as this always seems to be the element that makes or breaks an MB: the phase integrity. Functionally too, it makes a great MB comp and gate/expander. Easy to use. The latency is a bit of a pain, but you get used to it. Usually used in a mastering scenario anyway where buffers can be lowered and there are less plugins being used overall.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love it... Use it quite often so compress the mids of a mix if they need smashing.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hi guys,

I love using my MBC but during a recent mix I've been noticing a lot of distortion that I pinpointed to the UAD Multiband Compressor. I only discovered this recently because of the synth bass the distortion was occurring on. I searched and did not find any other complaints?

check it out for yourself.
Attached Files

EXAMPLE_02_WITHOUT_MBC.wav (1.56 MB, 3847 views)

EXAMPLE_01_WITH_MBC.wav (1.56 MB, 4105 views)

Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's probably because your synth track is too hot. Just lower your synth or if it's already in audio just lower MC input and if you need it raise the output. Like many plugins these days, UAD plugs optimal input is around -18dB RMS.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Best bet is to Demo Demo Demo Demo
Old 26th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➑️
That's probably because your synth track is too hot. Just lower your synth or if it's already in audio just lower MC input and if you need it raise the output. Like many plugins these days, UAD plugs optimal input is around -18dB RMS.
Yeah, I tried to lower the input and to achieve the same amount of compression, I lowered the thresholds, but I would get the same distortion when the compressor engages at no matter what input level.
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
An essential tool. It's absolutely part of my mastering chain. The darn thing sounds great and does what it was designed to do. Easy to use and understand. A no brainer IMHO.
Old 27th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:On The Rock:. ➑️
Yeah, I tried to lower the input and to achieve the same amount of compression, I lowered the thresholds, but I would get the same distortion when the compressor engages at no matter what input level.
That's very strange. When I set the input so the level is about -18 dB RMS I don't get any distortion.
Old 27th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
By any chance, do you have any M/S plugins before or after the MB?
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
No I don't. I even tried just inserting the MBC and got the same results.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What are your specs? Computer? OS? DAW? etc
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Love it. Perfect for fine tuning that mix I simply cannot get quite right.
Old 28th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM ➑️
What are your specs? Computer? OS? DAW? etc
Thanks for your interest man,

2010 Mac Pro w/ Lion
Pro Tools 10 (non HD)
SSL Alphalink MX 16-4 w/ MADIxtreme 64.

I honestly think that this might be a rare enigma. It is strange though that the distortion is occurring exactly when the mid-low band engages and stops when there is no compression.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for your interest man,

2010 Mac Pro w/ Lion
Pro Tools 10 (non HD)
SSL Alphalink MX 16-4 w/ MADIxtreme 64.

I honestly think that this might be a rare enigma. It is strange though that the distortion is occurring exactly when the mid-low band engages and stops when there is no compression.
Hmm that is weird, just trying to think what it could be. This could be dumb to ask but since it is in the low-mid band, are you sure the release parameter is not set too fast? I mean is it possible it's an artifact from a less optimal setting?
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM ➑️
Hmm that is weird, just trying to think what it could be. This could be dumb to ask but since it is in the low-mid band, are you sure the release parameter is not set too fast? I mean is it possible it's an artifact from a less optimal setting?
Hmm... No question is too dumb, that's for sure! And I'm not ruling out user error yet either.

I don't know the release times off by hand. Very often I flick through presets and change parameters quickly. Next time I open the session, I'll have a look.
πŸ“ Reply