Quantcast
New Apogee iOS device coming - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Apogee iOS device coming
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 94711a4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawson ➡️
Auria is an incredible app, gives you 48 tracks, and comes with some really good plug ins.
I have Auria, and I agree, it's a great app. It's almost like having a complete ProTools recording system in the palms of your hands. It's actually more powerful than the first Pro Tools systems that I first worked on a long time ago.

I have a Duet 1, which I like a lot, but I guess that I'm going to have to sell it now, because a Duet 2 which is compatible with both my Mac and iPad is something that I'm going to have to get.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by needs more 7s ➡️
I see duet 2 is selling for $479 new on ebay and that was before this announcement. I can only imagine how low the used price of the duet 2 will drop to.

And since so many users were reporting problems with their old duet 2's and maestro, I am worried new software revisions will focus more on the new duet and quartet architecture.
Yes, and that is why this is a textbook example how a company can ruin their reputation in just one day
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unnamed1 ➡️
Could someone from Apogee explain why they could not have just created a splitter lead using the existing Duet 2 out to do this, or is it another way to get more money out of people who have originally invested in their products?

I'm not averse to technology moving on, but this seems like planned obsolescence to me.

Special circuitry indeed.
This is true
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I hope the sales director enjoys a good garden leave as of tomorrow...how can you upset so many customers who recently invested money in your products?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR290378 ➡️
You need to buy the exact same device you already own, i.e. a Duet with the additional great feature that it will allow you to simultaneously connect a midi device and will work with the IPad! If that is not a bargain for 600 USD?

....and I am sure you will get a fantastic price on ebay selling your existing Duet now that you cannot use it with an Ipad ;-))))) Everyone will go for it!
Apogee had no qualms about selling the Duet 2 at quite a high price and now the people who paid that premium, supported it and put up with the incredibly frustrating software are now cast aside with no upgrade path or options whatsoever... unless they wish to pay for it all over again.

I love my Duet 2 and the iOS connection would have been incredibly useful for me as an existing customer, but any chance of using it in that way has probably gone or more worryingly, not even been considered.

I'm not saying they shouldn't advance and refine technology, but when you have literally stopped the entire Duet 2 customer base from using and connecting with iOS in the future, it worries me about investing in any more of these products.

Summary: Hey, here's this new iOS Maestro software/connection for NAMM - all you existing customers will never be able to use it.

Last edited by Unnamed1; 24th January 2013 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: Summary
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Apogee had no qualms about selling the Duet 2 at quite a high price and now the people who paid that premium, supported it and put up with the incredibly frustrating software are now cast aside with no upgrade path or options whatsoever... unless they wish to pay for it all over again.

I love my Duet 2 and the iOS connection would have been incredibly useful for me as an existing customer, but any chance of using it in that way has probably gone or more worryingly, not even been considered.

I'm not saying they shouldn't advance and refine technology, but when you have literally stopped the entire Duet 2 customer base from using and connecting with iOS in the future, it worries me about investing in any more of these products.

Summary: Hey, here's this new iOS Maestro software/connection for NAMM - all you existing customers will never be able to use it.
I think you got it all wrong... the new DUET is made for MUSICIANS who always got a couple of 500s here and there to spend on new gear
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR290378
. Put pressure (as the main pro audio manufacturer) on Apple to either (a) come up with 24 bit Garageband for IOS or (b) Logic Express for Ipad
If you seriously think Apple are not working on this already I'd say you're pretty deluded. I don't believe third party pressure will change that.

I'm neither an apogee user, supporter or hater. But the contempt in this thread because your previous generation product is not as good as the latest generation is over the top. It happens with computers, cars, tv etc all the time. Welcome to the real world. Your duet still works like it did yesterday and you were more than likely happy with it.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I woud like more info on the usb midi port.

Does the usb midi port allow the use of midi to usb adaptors for use with traditional midi connectors?

Does the usb midi port also function as digital audio input/output? For instance if you have the duet 2 connected to your mac and want to record Animoog, can you plug your iPad into the duet usb midi port and have Animoog controlled by a mac sequencer and also have direct digital audio input into your DAW?
Yes, a USB to traditional DIN connectors adapter should work. There are many out there, so we cannot guarantee all of them to work, but we have been successful with the few we own here.

The USB midi port on Duet and Quartet is midi only.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Companda ➡️
If you seriously think Apple are not working on this already I'd say you're pretty deluded. I don't believe third party pressure will change that.

I'm neither an apogee user, supporter or hater. But the contempt in this thread because your previous generation product is not as good as the latest generation is over the top. It happens with computers, cars, tv etc all the time. Welcome to the real world. Your duet still works like it did yesterday and you were more than likely happy with it.
Yes, but (as I understand unlike you) I would also shout at the car, tv and whatever dealer in case they do not respect their customers in a similar case! And, I still believe in the free market. If there are enough unhappy Apogee customers things may change. If we stop thinking like that we can all return to Windows...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, but (as I understand unlike you) I would also shout at the car, tv and whatever dealer in case they do not respect their customers in a similar case! And, I still believe in the free market. If there are enough unhappy Apogee customers things may change. If we stop thinking like that we can all return to Windows...
I totally understand. Companies upgrade products. Someone will always be at a cut off point as to when they don't benefit. As I said before go back to what you were doing 2 days ago, I'm sure you were happy then.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Its true that it happens to all the products described. Thats also the sad part.

I think I understand why most people are frustrated. RME just updated the Babyface and it worked. Duet is already Mac only so having iOS as a bonus would've been awesome.
Maybe if the new Duet would've had a bigger upgrade users would feel less frustrated?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We are sorry this announcement has made you so angry.

Here again is Lucas' explanation of why Duet had to be physically changed and was not as simple as a cable and firmware update...

"If we could make it as simple as just a "splitter", we (and other manufacturers) would have done that yesterday. It would save us a lot of work. Interfacing to iPads and and iPhones requires special hardware, both for connectivity and charging. Therefore Duet 2 required a new circuit board and a new case. Because of these changes we decided to also add a midi USB port, as there would be no other way of connecting a keyboard to your iOS device simultaneously."

The video you posted earlier about the original ONE working with an iPad requires you to have a powered hub and the Apple camera kit connection. This still does not power the iPad or allow you to change the settings.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I totally understand. Companies upgrade products. Someone will always be at a cut off point as to when they don't benefit. As I said before go back to what you were doing 2 days ago, I'm sure you were happy then.
Yeah let us be silent, shut down Gearslutz and never ever speak up! The industry knows what is best for us and will upgrade their products accordingly.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Here again is Lucas' explanation of why Duet had to be physically changed and was not as simple as a cable and firmware update...

"If we could make it as simple as just a "splitter", we (and other manufacturers) would have done that yesterday. It would save us a lot of work. Interfacing to iPads and and iPhones requires special hardware, both for connectivity and charging. Therefore Duet 2 required a new circuit board and a new case. Because of these changes we decided to also add a midi USB port, as there would be no other way of connecting a keyboard to your iOS device simultaneously."

The video you posted earlier about the original ONE working with an iPad requires you to have a powered hub and the Apple camera kit connection. This still does not power the iPad or allow you to change the settings.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics

It would be great if you could elaborate on the last paragraph as it seems to contradict with your theory of "special hardware" being required. A powered USB port and a camera kit connection to me seem pretty standard equipment.

BTW - I am not upset just reluctant to spend unnecessary money (like the majority of people in this forum).
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But the contempt in this thread because your previous generation product is not as good as the latest generation is over the top. It happens with computers, cars, tv etc all the time. Welcome to the real world. Your duet still works like it did yesterday and you were more than likely happy with it.
I knew this would come up at some point, which is why I mentioned being fully aware that technology is advanced and refined constantly.

Do I "really" need to buy a new (nearly identical) device again just to get those connections or could Apogee not have provided some kind of adaptor/add-on (anything at all) for existing customers that extends the life and usability of my existing product?

I have a very sneaky suspicion they could have done that's all.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:

It is interesting that you find customers being upset and making critical comments about apogee somehow unacceptable, yet your being upset by and making critical comments about said critical comments is perfectly fine and obviously the mark of superior individual.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
My Duet 2 I just got from you guys in still in the box never used, can I switch it out for the new one lol. I'll give you some Skittles.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi guys, thanks for replying.

I always assumed the connection on the back of the Duet would future proof it to a degree or allow add-ons like the case of the breakout box.

Would it not have been possible, to create a new breakout box that allows all existing Duets to connect with iOS somehow - a splitter cable would then come from that box with the MIDI and iOS connection?

I really do love the Duet, but find it really hard having to pay for it all again just to get the iOS connection that's all.

Thanks
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I knew this would come up at some point, which is why I mentioned being fully aware that technology is advanced and refined constantly.

Do I "really" need to buy a new (nearly identical) device again just to get those connections or could Apogee not have provided some kind of adaptor/add-on (anything at all) for existing customers that extends the life and usability of my existing product?

I have a very sneaky suspicion they could have done that's all.
Duet 2 was designed at a time iOS devices were not a format to record at. It was designed to interface with a MacOS based system. In the last three years a lot has changed on the iOS front and therefore we do now support it in our hardware.

The above mentioned setup of One with a hub and camera kit does not allow for full iMaestro controlled functionality (which is required for Duet 2) and excludes charging of the iPad.

The new Duet 2 has it all build in, with the same high quality as the old Duet 2, plus USB midi. All for the same price as the previous Duet 2! Now what is there not to love?

So bottom line, no reason to buy a new Duet if your current MacOS setup works fine for you.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Wow quite a lot of whining on this thread
Can't a company make improvements without a bunch of (female dog)ing
Deleted 94711a4
Yeah, the whining should be in a separate thread or something. I'm interested in reading about the new products, minus any noise, whining and moaning. I don't really care about the whiners or whatever illegitimate gripes that they may have.

To get back to the topic, I'm wondering if anybody at Apogee knows what the latency is in ms, when using a new Duet 2 on the iPad with Auria set to the lowest setting (128 samples) using 44.1,48,96k and 24 bit?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

2nd opinion Summary:
A company unveils updated design of piece of equipment. This new design, VERY surprisingly, has new design features. The world rotates. Things that worked yesterday, still work today in exactly the same way.

If this gets you upset, I'd advise you cease purchasing technology immediately, you'll be in for a very frustrated life!
pro
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 ➡️
2nd opinion Summary:
A company unveils updated design of piece of equipment. This new design, VERY surprisingly, has new design features. The world rotates. Things that worked yesterday, still work today in exactly the same way.

If this gets you upset, I'd advise you cease purchasing technology immediately, you'll be in for a very frustrated life!
true true...

I did not buy the Duet-2 only because it did not work with the iOS. Now, I will not buy the Quartet only because it does not have digital optical out...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It is interesting that you find customers being upset and making critical comments about apogee somehow unacceptable, yet your being upset by and making critical comments about said critical comments is perfectly fine and obviously the mark of superior individual.
None of this makes sense. I'm not upset, never said I was. I said the contempt was over the top. A product they loved 48 hours ago is no longer loved because it got an upgrade. Welcome to technology. Someone will always feel duped when a newer version of something is released.
Old 25th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Overuse of face palm? Yes.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Anyone know if Maestro for ipad works with Symphony I/O?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1purewatt ➡️
Where's my iPhone i7 running iLogic with a second port just for the iLok?

Can I get a face palm?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet ➡️
Anyone know if Maestro for ipad works with Symphony I/O?
Yes it does. Apogee Maestro Software | Mac and iOS application for low latency monitoring and control of Apogee audio interfaces
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
pro
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1purewatt ➡️
Old 26th January 2013 | Show parent
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oortjes ➡️
As a matter of fact, you will be. Google "Duet and Beyer T1", you will find lots of very happy users of this combination.
So I did search the web for the " lots of happy users", however I was not able to find them, except for a single guy who posted the exact post on three forums, which I find suspect. Nothing else, sorry.
📝 Reply