Quantcast
New Apogee iOS device coming - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Apogee iOS device coming
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
T S
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
That's a real shame if that's the case, they should offer a trade in deal on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez ➑️
where did you find this quote?
any info about the present Quartet !?
Judging by the way they labelled the website the Quartet has "new features" where as the other are "new products" so if you have a quartet you're most probably safe
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupez ➑️
where did you find this quote?
any info about the present Quartet !?
They seem to be constantly updating their website today :-) I guess they will receive a s...load of questions regarding existing devices.

Look for Duet and in the right corner under "highlights".
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I don't get it: is Maestro ios compatible with Symphony?
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbacon ➑️
Even on my desktop Genelecs I can hear a big difference between the Duet and One. Duet is much more transparent and handles subtle sounds better at 192khz 24bit.

Really looking forward to the Steinberg UR22 which can also go up to 192khz 24bit, I hope the new Apogee device can do the same.
I thought we were talking about headphones not speakers.

I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if the Duet could drive the Beyer T1. One is probably out of question.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU ➑️

I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if the Duet could drive the Beyer T1. One is probably out of question.
Just check both the impedance of the headphones and the Duet. There are good headphones that have a low enough impedance so that the Duet can drive them but e.g. Sennheiser HD 650s would require an additional headphone amp...
Old 24th January 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
T1 have double the impedance of the 650.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
It was apparently always possible to connect the ONE to the Ipad... (was the ONE maybe class compliant and the Duet is not?)

iPad, Apogee ONE & 40sec Funky Jam! - YouTube

So I guess we would just need someone to tests what happens if one connects the Duet in the same way...using the Maestro app (which according to Apogee is available on the App Store for free...).
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
T1 have double the impedance of the 650.
I feel your pain...
Old 24th January 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
haha, thanks, no need for that, my ULN-2 drives them easily.
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
It also seems that if you do get a new Duet 2, which is compatible with the iPhone 5 and iPad (fourth generation), the lead between the Duet 2 and the iOS device still uses the old Apple 30 pin connector. This means you will have to fork out for a Lightning to 30-pin adapter if you have an iOS device with the Lightning connector.

From the Duet 2 page:
*Connection to iOS devices with a Lightning port requires the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:

As a matter of fact, you will be. Google "Duet and Beyer T1", you will find lots of very happy users of this combination.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR290378 ➑️
Just check both the impedance of the headphones and the Duet. There are good headphones that have a low enough impedance so that the Duet can drive them but e.g. Sennheiser HD 650s would require an additional headphone amp...
That is incorrect. Duet 2 has more than enough headroom to drive the 650's (to deafening sound levels, if that is what one prefers). It is actually a combination I have sitting here on my workbench to enjoy listening to music.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unnamed1 ➑️
Could someone from Apogee explain why they could not have just created a splitter lead using the existing Duet 2 out to do this, or is it another way to get more money out of people who have originally invested in their products?

I'm not averse to technology moving on, but this seems like planned obsolescence to me.

Special circuitry indeed.
If we could make it as simple as just a "splitter", we (and other manufacturers) would have done that yesterday. It would save us a lot of work. Interfacing to iPads and and iPhones requires special hardware, both for connectivity and charging. Therefore Duet 2 required a new circuit board and a new case. Because of these changes we decided to also add a midi USB port, as there would be no other way of connecting a keyboard to your iOS device simultaneously.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just got a Duet 2 direct from Apogee a month ago and haven't even opened it yet. Haha wonderful...
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unnamed1 ➑️
It also seems that if you do get a new Duet 2, which is compatible with the iPhone 5 and iPad (fourth generation), the lead between the Duet 2 and the iOS device still uses the old Apple 30 pin connector. This means you will have to fork out for a Lightning to 30-pin adapter if you have an iOS device with the Lightning connector.

From the Duet 2 page:
*Connection to iOS devices with a Lightning port requires the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter.
The Apple adapter is only a temporary requirement, to make it work with Lightning devices. We have a cable for direct connectivity in development and it should be available in second quarter of 2013.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
RME was able to make the babyface iOS compatible with a simple software/firmware update. No new cable needed either.

With this news, I finally concede that the babyface is the superior product to the duet 2. Lesson learned. I will probably never by another Apogee product again.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by needs more 7s ➑️
RME was able to make the babyface iOS compatible with a simple software update.

With this news, I finally concede that the babyface is the superior product to the duet 2. Lesson learned. I will probably never by another Apogee product again.
They (and many others) do not have direct connectivity, but use the camera kit or Lightning to USB adapter instead. We also charge the iPad in a much simpler setup. On top of that Duet and Quartet come with a USB midi connector. A bit of research has shown, that most controller keyboards nowadays come with and are powered through USB.

All in all, we believe we are providing a much simpler and more elegant solution.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Good point. The RME also does not need a bulky heavy wall wart and offers more mobility. If you need to drag around a big heavy power supply and find an outlet, you might as well just bring along your macbook.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oortjes ➑️
If we could make it as simple as just a "splitter", we (and other manufacturers) would have done that yesterday. It would save us a lot of work. Interfacing to iPads and and iPhones requires special hardware, both for connectivity and charging. Therefore Duet 2 required a new circuit board and a new case. Because of these changes we decided to also add a midi USB port, as there would be no other way of connecting a keyboard to your iOS device simultaneously.
Perhaps a splitter was me thinking too simple, but the end concept I assumed would be similar - an add on for existing users basically.

Couldn't you have just created the new hardware/circuitry to go between the Duet 2 and the iOS device and saved everyone who has bought a Duet 2 (and had no end of problems with Maestro anyway) a lot of hassle?

At least having some kind of upgrade or chance to use the Duet 2 through iOS would have been nice and provided similar functionality to existing customers.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by needs more 7s ➑️
Good point. The RME also does not need a bulky heavy wall wart and offers more mobility. If you need to drag around a big heavy power supply and find an outlet, you might as well just bring along your macbook.
You cannot know that the supply is bulky and heavy, as we haven't shipped it yet :-). It is actually very light, small, and comes with four different blades for international use. The supply is only required when Duet is used with an iOS device. With USB it is optional.
Old 24th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I'll say it since no one else has: Pro i/O is great, but iOS apps can deliver a professional mix by a longshot. What app even has remotely useful plugins comparable to UA or Waves? So what do I do with my u87 mic, my new Duet and my new iPad except record 8 tracks (MAX) in Garageband for novelty? I wish there was Logic for iPad or something....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyonline ➑️
I'll say it since no one else has: Pro i/O is great, but iOS apps can deliver a professional mix by a longshot. What app even has remotely useful plugins comparable to UA or Waves? So what do I do with my u87 mic, my new Duet and my new iPad except record 8 tracks (MAX) in Garageband for novelty? I wish there was Logic for iPad or something....
Auria is about the closest you can get to Logic for iPad.

I agree with you though, this iOS music "revolution" is being blown out of the water. So much hardware coming out with little emphasis on software. Seems like a lot of novelty for people to tinker around with making "music" then something actual musicians will use.

All these iPad interfaces, keyboards, etc but nobody has still really developed a real DAW app.

I use the app Tabletop, and it's fun to mess with but going from a 30 inch monitor to a 9 inch one is also rather backwards. iPads are getting smaller, I need a bigger one, a 13" or 15" iPad would do a lot. Would have more room for bigger processing power and the screen real estate for professionals of all occupations .

For what it's worth I'm a big fan of the iPad studio, it's silent so great for recording, portable, and very hands on when it comes to use. I just think we are still being held back by Apple on something that would really make use of much of these peripherals.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I woud like more info on the usb midi port.

Does the usb midi port allow the use of midi to usb adaptors for use with traditional midi connectors?

Does the usb midi port also function as digital audio input/output? For instance if you have the duet 2 connected to your mac and want to record Animoog, can you plug your iPad into the duet usb midi port and have Animoog controlled by a mac sequencer and also have direct digital audio input into your DAW?
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
As a matter of fact, you will be. Google "Duet and Beyer T1", you will find lots of very happy users of this combination.
That would indeed make me consider the duet as a mobile recording option, but driving a high end headphone loud and having a proper response are different things.

I'll definitely investigate it further.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well... Apparently, it was always possible to connect the ONE with the IPAD (see link below). So I am not sure why "special hardware" was required to build a Duet that works with the Ipad? It would have been wise (and probably sold a lot more units) to create an adaptor to connect existing mobile Apogee hardware to the Ipad. I feel like an idiot that I just recently bought a Duet...

iPad, Apogee ONE & 40sec Funky Jam! - YouTube

On top of that I agree with other participants. It is ridiculous that Apple leaves the 24 bit recording piece to third party companies.

The right thing would have been:

1. Make existing Apogee hardware compatible to the Ipad AND
2. Put pressure (as the main pro audio manufacturer) on Apple to either (a) come up with 24 bit Garageband for IOS or (b) Logic Express for Ipad

In anticipation of all your comments: That would have been customer friendly!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyonline ➑️
The band used Auria in the recording you hear in the video.
Professional Apogee recording with ONE, Duet and Quartet on iPad - YouTube

Auria is an incredible app, gives you 48 tracks, and comes with some really good plug ins.

It's true that the apps are not what you would get from Logic or Pro Tools etc... But ONE, Duet, and Quartet also still work on Mac.
The other cool thing is that Auria can easily export an AAF file that can be easily imported into Pro Tools or Logic.

I was just thinking this morning, for what I paid for my first 4 track cassette recorder in high school, I can now purchase ONE or Duet and an iPad for about the same price, and have recordings far superior to anything I recorded onto my cassette 4 track.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawson ➑️
The band used Auria in the recording you hear in the video.
Professional Apogee recording with ONE, Duet and Quartet on iPad - YouTube

Auria is an incredible app, gives you 48 tracks, and comes with some really good plug ins.

It's true that the apps are not what you would get from Logic or Pro Tools etc... But ONE, Duet, and Quartet also still work on Mac.
The other cool thing is that Auria can easily export an AAF file that can be easily imported into Pro Tools or Logic.

I was just thinking this morning, for what I paid for my first 4 track cassette recorder in high school, I can now purchase ONE or Duet and an iPad for about the same price, and have recordings far superior to anything I recorded onto my cassette 4 track.

Chris Lawson
Apogee Electronics
Well... Apparently, it was always possible to connect the ONE with the IPAD (see link below... is that the iPad 4 ;-)))). So I am not sure why "special hardware" was required to build a Duet that works with the Ipad? It would have been wise (and probably sold a lot more units) to create an adaptor to connect existing mobile Apogee hardware to the Ipad. I feel like an idiot that I just recently bought a Duet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmfv4Q_tzJk

On top of that I agree with other participants. It is ridiculous that Apple leaves the 24 bit recording piece to third party companies (e.g. Auria).

The right thing to do would have been:

1. Make existing Apogee hardware compatible with the Ipad developing an adaptor AND
2. Put pressure (as the main pro audio manufacturer) on Apple to either (a) come up with 24 bit Garageband for IOS or (b) to launch 24 bit Logic Express for Ipad (by all means this would allow seamless import into a standard DAW as opposed to messing around with Auria, Dropbox asf. i.e. applying a cumbersome approach as opposed to what will be anyway absolute standard in a couple of months/years)

In anticipation of all your comments: That would have been customer friendly! And, any other explanation is - with all due respect- the talk of some ivory tower tech who never worked in sales!
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Are the converters and preamps in the new Duet the same as my Duet 2 I just bought or did I get pimped?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
You buy Apogee for the converters...not the preamps (which are nice but even nicer if you can bypass them). Sadly enough the new "ONE" does not allow for bypassing the preamps so you are down to the following:

You need to buy the exact same device you already own, i.e. a Duet but with the additional, indispensable (!) feature that it will allow you to simultaneously connect a midi device AND it will work with the IPad (cause the Apogee engineers failed to convince their sales department to come up with a suitable adapter instead)! If that is not a bargain for 600 USD?

....and I am sure you will get a fantastic price on ebay selling your existing Duet now that you cannot use it with an Ipad ;-))))) Everyone will go for it!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR290378 ➑️
You buy Apogee for the converters...not the preamps (which are nice but even nicer if you can bypass them). Sadly enough the new "ONE" does not allow for bypassing the preamps so you are down to the following:

You need to buy the exact same device you already own, i.e. a Duet with the additional great feature that it will allow you to simultaneously connect a midi device and will work with the IPad! If that is not a bargain for 600 USD?

....and I am sure you will get a fantastic price on ebay selling your existing Duet now that you cannot use it with an Ipad ;-))))) Everyone will go for it!
I see duet 2 is selling for $479 new on ebay and that was before this announcement. I can only imagine how low the used price of the duet 2 will drop to.

And since so many users were reporting problems with their old duet 2's and maestro, I am worried new software revisions will focus more on the new duet and quartet architecture.
πŸ“ Reply