Quantcast
Doubt related to connections - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Doubt related to connections
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Doubt related to connections

Dear all, I have a noob question related to the connections in my home studio. I have RME HDSP 9652 connected to RME ADI-2 convertor. This connection served me well until I tried to reamp through a reamping box some guitars that I recorded earlier. Unfortunately the ADI-2 has only 2 monitor outs hooked up to my monitors. Therefore if I reamp using these outputs I don't have any monitoring because the ADI receives via ADAT only 2 inputs that happen to be my Stereo Out bus (or am I wrong)? So my question here is basically is there a way around that or should I purchase something like the tc electronic BMC-2 for separate monitoring? Also as a second option can I use for example the BEHRINGER ADA8000 (which I heard is not extraordinary bad) for D/A conversion and continue doing the monitoring on my ADI-2? Any comments or opinions would be much appreciated! Cheers from Bulgaria!
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That RME 9652 has 24 outputs via it's three ADAT out connections (8 per cable) but also has an additional 2 outputs via SPDIF cable. I don't know specifically about your converter but if it has an additional SPDIF input and has 4 DA converters in it (2 for your moniters and 2 for the reamp) you may not have to buy anything but an additional SPDIF cable. The Behringer converter will give you an additional 8 channels of conversion on the cheap, just hook it up via ADAT cable.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I believe the ADI has only 2 convertors and this is actually the problem. I use the spdif on the hdsp for my Ssl Alpha Channel.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You need one DA converter channel for every separate output.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry, I might be getting confused but I only have 2 channels conversion on the ADI2 and I need at least one more for the reamping. Correct, right?

Sent from my HTC One X
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
With that converter you have 2 DA converter channels so 2 channels of output. Typically this would go to your left and right speakers for monitering. If you are willing to sacrifice stereo monitering during reamping then try this . . . Your converter has BOTH 1/4" and XLR output connectors on it with signal going to both meaning you could just turn off the left speaker and send signal out of the converter's other left channel connector for reamping while you moniter in MONO on only the right speaker. When done reamping then go back to stereo monitering by disconnecting the reamp cable and turning back on the left speaker. Same two converter channels out but just a different use of those two outputs. You can't get around the two channel output of the unit but you CAN get creative with how you use those two ouputs.
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Just bought the Behri :-D Thank you so much for your help! Cheers!

Sent from my HTC One X
πŸ“ Reply