Melodyne
31 Votes - 73.81%
WavesTune
11 Votes - 26.19%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st January 2013
ep1c0ne
Melodyne VS WavesTune

So, I need to purchased some pitch correction software and need to decide between either Melodyne or WavesTune.

What are your experiences with these and what do you prefer? I've heard that Melodyne offers better workflow but WavesTune offers better sound?
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I just started using Melodyne, so take my comments with a grain of salt: I'm really surprised at how usable Melodyne is. The sound of a processed vocal is different from the original, but the differences are minor enough that you can make up for anything that was altered in the mix.

For reference, I'm using it for minor pitch corrections, not reshaping a melody, or adding harmonies.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
WavesTune is such a pain to use. Everything about it feels terrible. I got the demo of Melodyne, and loved it whilst it lasted it. If you're looking for pitch-correction software like that, I doubt you'll find anything better.
I also like it better than the Anteres products.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have to say, first loved Melodyne, but after using it extensively on a project that required lots of correction, i started to hate using it. It really alters the tone, and really doesn't fare well with tempo changes despite it supposedly being able to.

Not tried anything else yet though as this is really first time i've needed to use such a tool.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I used Melodyne for a year or two...then Waves Tune came in my new bundle. For me it is easier to use, just very straight forward not too many bels and whistles.

I do still use Melodyne if I am doing something in Studio One 2.5.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gee
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I Use melodyne pretty much every other day. For me it's more straight forward to use then waves tune.

Never did the sonic A/B but my clients and I are happy with the results that Melodyne gives.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
ep1c0ne
Hmmm this decision is definitely not getting any easier, demo periods are running out soon too. Melodyne just seems more intuitive but Waves does sound better.
Old 24th January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep1c0ne ➡️
Melodyne just seems more intuitive but Waves does sound better.
Precisely. Melodyne has good workflow but all audio that passes through it sounds processed in a bad way, even if no pitch correction is used. I haven't used it in about 5 years for that reason, though, so I don't know if they came out with a new version that fixed the sound.
Old 24th January 2013
Deleted d44e7f2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User ➡️
Precisely. Melodyne has good workflow but all audio that passes through it sounds processed in a bad way, even if no pitch correction is used. I haven't used it in about 5 years for that reason, though, so I don't know if they came out with a new version that fixed the sound.
I'd suggest downloading a demo and trying out the newer versions.

Melodyne in my opinion is the best pitch correction software out there. It's more time consuming than the others but sounds the best in the end. Also it's the only one that seems to truly center a pitch. I've run vocals through waves tune and they still come out off pitch o. O

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've used Melodyne for years. At the time of first demoing both, I didn't really like the workflow or the iLok with Waves Tune then. Just recently I demoed Waves Tune again since they have dropped iLok, and I have to say after using it a bit more, I do like it better and have moved to it. Way more transparent since it doesn't impose the same artifacts as Melodyne.

Once you understand how the manual tuning works, it also gives you a lot more control to really get things right, but still sound extremely natural. In Melodyne you also need to keep pressing the transfer button to bring new audio into it, then Melodyne stores extra recorded audio on your HD. With Waves Tune the scanning is all automatic and it doesn't store extra audio files on your drive.

I think the only thing Melodyne has over Tune is DNA with polyphonic support, but in all honesty I don't think it's usable in a production setting for editing because of the artifacts. It's like comparing a high quality wave file to a 128 bit MP3 afterwards. I do see its uses as a polyphonic not detection utility, but you could also just use your ears for that.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I used the basic Melodyne for a few years and it worked well.

In the last year i have been working with Waves tune and its really brilliant.

The vibrato that you can add on is very convincing.

But what i love about it is the pencil tool. Just draw the melody you wish the singer to sing, and there it is.
You have to do this with in reason, it does have its limits, but i have used Waves tune on a few vocal dominated albums and its been a great tool.
It won't work around tempo changes though, well thats my experience in Logic.
It would be great if the window could be bigger for easier editing, but its an ok size.
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
+1 Waves Tune. I prefer to use it as AudioSuite in ProTools with constantly open floating window. I select short phrases from takes, tune and render it and insert in final vocal tracks. I hate Melodyne's workflow (without pensil tool, that I often use) and don't like it artifacts.
Old 24th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User ➡️
As the Melodyne owner since 2006 I have to agree. Unfortunately especially variable "raspy" male vocals are hard to process via the Melodyne without artefacts and unnatural sound alterations. M. is most usable for clean, thin voices and instruments. During the past 10 years (and always user of the flagship prog.versions) I've written several times to the Celemony and asked them to concentrate on the sound quality issues instead of polyphony (which is nice to have but secondary for the vocal tool) etc. fancy things - no use "the german innovator" trusts just for his own beliefs. Shame, M. could be really great plugin. BTW - those who have tried the latest version of the Autotune, is it more like an effect or does it compete with the Waves Tune? H.
Old 24th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Melodyne creates artifacts and to my ears waves tune doesn't (or at least not as noticeably). That said, the workflow is super streamlined once you get used to it. Processing a vocal track takes very little time at all.
📝 Reply