The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
virus ti2 cubase routing madness
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
virus ti2 cubase routing madness

hi

(read edit at bottom)

recently picked up a used virus desktop ti2 version and got it all working properly within cubase but i have one question.

i'm using the ti plugin in the cubase vst instrument racks to allow different midi channels to send midi to the plugin/synth so i can have up to 16 different patches running at once within cubase (since you can only load the plugin once in a project).

this is all good and i can get all the different parts inside the plugin receiving midi and making noise and stuff but i can't seem to figure out how to route the audio that comes back from the synth onto different audio channels so i can process them.

when you first instantiate the plugin, it creates a midi channel and an audio track connected to it to receive the audio data from the synth and this is called "Virus TI 01". now on the cubase vst instrument rack, you can specify which "outputs" should be enabled on the virus and there are only 3.

activating 2 and 3 creates 2 more of these audio channels connected to midi channels; whenever you make a midi clip now, it will be "connected" to this "Virus TI 01" audio track, which seems to take audio from the virus's first output.

however, attempting to connect a midi channel that's sending midi to the virus to "Virus TI 02" or "03" results in no change and only the first virus output audio channel gets any signal. it makes no sense; you would assume that changing the routing would simply send the audio to the other channel you specify but no dice.

so basically my question is, how do i create an audio channel for each midi clip that is sending data to the virus plugin so that i can process each of the 16 outputs of the virus (if i wanted to make up to 16) separately? so far, i can only manage to create one, meaning that i can only process a single patch of the virus despite being able to send midi to and hear from multiple instances.

thanks!

EDIT: ok, so it seems that by using the usb connection method with the virus (as i am) you only get 3 stereo outs into your DAW which is fair enough. still, this doesn't sort out why i can't get the different patches in the plugin to actually get sent through those outputs even after i explicitly select the midi channels to be routed to the virus's 2 and 3 outputs!
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
push F11, than right the 'e' button (of the virus vst) you see a square with an arrow, click it and then select the outputs 2 (and/or 3)

3 is also the max audio out!
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pass-out โžก๏ธ
push F11, than right the 'e' button (of the virus vst) you see a square with an arrow, click it and then select the outputs 2 (and/or 3)

3 is also the max audio out!
yeah, i've done that, activating those outputs creates audio tracks for each one but even though i select them as the output routing for my midi clips sending data to the virus, the output always just goes to the first virus output. it doesn't really make sense.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
you also should select the output of the part in the 'common' page in virus control! so USB 2 and USB 3
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pass-out โžก๏ธ
you also should select the output of the part in the 'common' page in virus control! so USB 2 and USB 3
ah yes, that'd do it lol. thanks for that, got it all sorted now
๐Ÿ“ Reply