What is a good DAW for the money? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is a good DAW for the money?
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What is a good DAW for the money?

Hi everyone,

So I have been using Fl Studio for a while now, and I am looking towards trying out another DAW. I am just curious which DAW has great instruments, effects, and content. I don't mind a different workflow, I just want to try something new different or slightly similar. I tried Ableton before, I am not looking at trying out Reaper, Sonar, or Reason. I own both a Mac and a PC. The DAWs that I am looking towards trying out are Logic 9(no Demo), Cubase 7(demo requires dongle), and Pro Tools 10. I would like to look at any of your opinion on which one of these software is great in terms of content and features. I would also like to know how much better these software are compared to FL Studio or the list that I mentioned.

Thanks,
Kev
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
If you are mac logic is best value via the AppStore.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Forgot: features good hold there own against most daw
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have logic and cubase. I prefer cubase but logic is a great value. I don't think either are similar to fruity loops. Did several sessions where the producer was using fl and I thought the quality was good but I couldn't get into it. Logic, especially for production, is very nice but I guess I really got into cubase's work flow, especially when it came to mixing. Either one would be a good choice. You can continue to use fl as well if you like. I ran the fl session with cubase,flawlessly. Not familiar with any other daw except protocols and I wouldn't go that way at all.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Definitely Logic Pro!
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
edited: Instead of buying a whole 'nother DAW, if you're looking for instruments, effects, etc, what not just buy a software package geared towards those? For example, Komplete 8.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Try Studio One demo,i like very much the workflow of it but dont have much instruments.And if u get presonus audio interface u will get it cheaper with upgrade after than buying original.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm a huge proponent of Reaper. Great, streamlined, customizable, and just gives flawless sessions. The price point really puts it over the cliff!
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner ➑️
I'm a huge proponent of Reaper. Great, streamlined, customizable, and just gives flawless sessions. The price point really puts it over the cliff!
Yes but it lacks in midi.
Old 21st January 2013
Deleted User
The OP said he wants:
1. great instruments,
2. effects,
3. content

News flash to me if REAPER has content or instruments? Where is this version of it? Not there in my version. Midi is weak as well. That said, you could buy Reaper for $60 then buy whatever instruments you want to run in it. It runs better on the PC BTW.

Cubase and Logic are the 2 I would look at from your list. They both run content and plenty of instruments well, Protools doesnt do well with instruments unless you like CPU errors.

Logic is the cheaper of the two, $199, hard to pass up. Mac only though
Cubase has plenty of content/loops/instruments etc and will run on Mac or PC

If your looking for great workflow, StudioOne is a great choice but the instruments arent the greatest. Mac and PC

My DAWS:
Cubase 7
Logic Pro 9
StudioOnePro 2.5
Reaper 4.1

None of these DAWS will be like FL BTW. The design concept is different.

**Out of those, I use Cubase 7 and StudioOne Pro 2.5. Reaper and Logic just hang on my HD

I would encourage you to download the demos for the ones that have a demo and try them out.
Reaper, StudioOne, have a demo. Logic doesnt, Cubase will have one but you need the USB Elicenser to run it, same with Protools only you have to have an iLok to demo it
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➑️
The OP said he wants:
1. great instruments,
2. effects,
3. content

News flash to me if REAPER has content or instruments? Where is this version of it? Not there in my version. Midi is weak as well.
That's true, Reaper is light on content (it does come with various plugins for processing and that's about it), but by the same token it's also inexpensive compared to other DAWs.

Although I find choosing a DAW based on extra content to be a bit mistifying. DAWs should be selected for workflow, not content. Content you can get anywhere.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➑️
Although I find choosing a DAW based on extra content to be a bit mistifying. DAWs should be selected for workflow, not content. Content you can get anywhere.
I agree but the OP may not have the extra cash to go buy all the content and I get that as well.

Reaper is s no brainer IMO. I use it to record all the live stuff I do

Best to demo everything
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Studio One 2.5 + Komplete 8 + Waves is the ultimate combination for starting!
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine_K ➑️
Studio One 2.5 + Komplete 8 + Waves is the ultimate combination for starting!
I like that option. Im actually loving StudioOnePro 2.5 more and more. I do all my mastering in it now. Time to try some projects. Komplete would cover pretty much anything.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy93 ➑️
I am not looking at trying out Reaper, Sonar, or Reason.
I guess they missed that part. Every daw thread is a Reaper thread just waiting to break out.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➑️
I agree but the OP may not have the extra cash to go buy all the content and I get that as well.

Reaper is s no brainer IMO. I use it to record all the live stuff I do

Best to demo everything
Given the DAWs they are considering (Cubase, Protools), I figured their budget was north of $500, which is the same range as Komplete 8.

I agree, though, best to demo everything. Especially when picking a DAW.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Great instruments and effects? Logic is clearly a winner here. For 199$, best value ever. S1+komplete+waves for starter?... wtf? People, buy your software!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bang for the buck probably is Logic. But price isn't everything.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
My vote is for Reaper. Assuming you meet the requirements for the discount license (unless you are a proffesional you will) there is no cheaper daw. But just because its $60 doesn't mean its any less of a daw than protools, cubase, logic etc. I would choose it over any daw.

I say give it a try. The trial is 60 days with absolutely no restrictions. If you don't like it then there's no loss.

My secondary vote would be for Cubase.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Running Cubase 5 here, and it's still awesome for me, but it's a fair price + dongle to get into it. Sonar is fairly similar IMO to Cubase so that might be a better choice. If you have tried the Cubase demo and are sold, it's worth it.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Logic. Reaper is grim.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Samplitude Pro X. GREAT effects, 70 gig library from Yellow Tools Independent.
Rewire and VSTi. The midi is from Logic (business snafu). Record, mix, master all from one program.
Very different workflow from any other program. Look at the video tutorials from Kraznet on youtube.com and see what it can do. Then try the demo. Seriously watch the tutorials first or you will miss where the power of this program is!
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Three Words. Babya Logic 2003. It's a vintage version of the crappy modern version of logic pro. It has a colder color scheme but a much warmer sound.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
To all the people who recommend Reaper. I have been getting so many recommendation on Reaper. I know its a great software, but I tried the demo. I did not like it because of the workflow(it kinda reminded me of using Fl Studio and GarageBand). Still thanks for all of your opinion. For the people who recommended Reaper I felt like you did not carefully read my post, but thanks anyway.

I am sort of new to DAW so I plan on trying almost everything. The reason I brought this up because Logic, Cubase, and Pro Tools don't have demo and those are the software I plan on purchasing(also looking into Studio One). Thanks to the feedback.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➑️
Given the DAWs they are considering (Cubase, Protools), I figured their budget was north of $500, which is the same range as Komplete 8.

I agree, though, best to demo everything. Especially when picking a DAW.
My budget is less than that, but since I am a student I get almost every DAW for a reduced price.
Old 22nd January 2013
nas
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In terms of best value for a complete package. Logic by far, but whether the workflow suits you is another question.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If you are on mac, Logic. Also, check out Studio One, very impressive, if they had the PT clip browser I'd be tempted.

Pro tools does have a demo btw...

Pro Tools 10 Trial - Get Your 30-Day Free Pro Tools Trial
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy93 ➑️
To all the people who recommend Reaper. I have been getting so many recommendation on Reaper. I know its a great software, but I tried the demo. I did not like it because of the workflow(it kinda reminded me of using Fl Studio and GarageBand). Still thanks for all of your opinion. For the people who recommended Reaper I felt like you did not carefully read my post, but thanks anyway.

I am sort of new to DAW so I plan on trying almost everything. The reason I brought this up because Logic, Cubase, and Pro Tools don't have demo and those are the software I plan on purchasing(also looking into Studio One). Thanks to the feedback.
You might want to see if there are retailers near you with installed versions of the software to try out. After all, you've noticed a lot of people recommending Reaper, but having tried it out you don't like it. But it seems like the same could happen with Protools, Cubase, etc. So I wouldn't buy anything strictly based on popular recommendations. Only way to know if it will work for you is to try it out directly.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Another +1 for Logic Pro 9...I read your post carefully and I have experience with pretty much every other DAW you've listed, and I think Logic Pro 9 will fit your needs perfectly. Good luck man!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Samplitude Pro X - easy. Surprised that only one has mentioned it so far.
Even though I'm a SONAR guy, I would gladly take on Samplitude if I ever decide to leave Cakewalk.
πŸ“ Reply