Logic 9 can't find files--URGENT! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic 9 can't find files--URGENT!
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Logic 9 can't find files--URGENT!

Hey there -

Bit of an emergency question here: got back after recording at a studio for the first time & copied the Logic session files onto my local drive. Problem is, the regions in my Logic session file are still linked to the local file path at said studio--as opposed to the subfolder on my drive--and, to no surprise, can't load them into the session. (My best guess as to why involves the studio's engineer changing the name of the parent folder at some point before or after the transfer...)

Furthermore, it's looking for file names that don't correspond to the ones on my drive--"Audio#9E4A7" type stuff-so relinking them manually may not even be an option. The files in the folder all seem to correspond to track and region ("Audio_3#1," for example), but Logic isn't prompting me for the names of any of the files in the folder.

So, my question is: is there ANY way--including returning to the studio and re-copying the files from the local drive, assuming they haven't been erased--to efficiently load these files into the session? Again, it seems like I have all of the audio files in the Audio Files subfolder--but there are a lot of them, and relinking them manually may not be possible.

Huge thanks in advance to whomever chimes in.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Did you copy the files manually onto your drive or did you use Logic and "Save Copy As..."?
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for getting back, Steve. I'm not sure how it was saved, unfortunately. I wasn't the one doing the file copying at the session, so I've been trying to piece together what might've happened. I'm guessing that he saved in such a way that absolute file links, as opposed to a relative links, were created.

(I'm hoping to get the engineer on the phone tomorrow, but this is on a Thursday deadline...)

Thanks again
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There should be an Audio Files folder in every project. Point Logic there and it will relink.

It should be obvious if you have the audio files if the projects are very large say over a GB. If they are only a few MB you didn't get the audio.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks, Rufuss. The audio files, as far as I can tell, are all there. (I've auditioned a few & they're the recorded parts, so I'm assuming that part of the transfer worked out.)

When you say "point Logic in the direction of the folder" : Is there a way to assign an entire folder to a logic session such that it'll relink automatically?

Thanks again for getting back.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you do not get this message?

Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Which message is that, Stinky Fingers?
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
when you start Logic and load the project, that message appears if an audio file(s) is missing...
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ah - did you try & encode a screenshot, or something? Nothing showed up in your reply.

In any case, it seems that the problem related to different versions of Logic Pro being used (I'd been using a cracked version of 9.0 - shhhhh), in addition to "save" vs "save as" creating absolute links, instead of relative ones.

Anyhoo, I've bitten the bullet and purchased the most recent version of Logic and all is well. Big thanks to everyone who chimed in.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…