Quantcast
Computer suggestion for music production (preferably Mac) - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Computer suggestion for music production (preferably Mac)
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
  #61
XI-MACHINES
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow ➑️
Over and out.
Good idea. Back on track guys, please, before this thread gets moved to Geekslutz.
Old 25th January 2013
  #62
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
these days some people are using the $5048-track Auria app with their $500 iPads and $5 synths to make good music.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
  #63
Lives for gear
 
Synth Buddha's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimaK415 ➑️
Not sure why you would buy a real mac these days. They are a bit dated.
I agree. In terms of performance they are. Honestly, building a hackintosh is even more pointless, though. Why would you want to do that unless you have specific needs, ie, having to use Logic or other Mac-only software? Keep in mind that the best thing you can do to enhance the performance of your Mac is to install Windows 7 on it. That's a fact, pretty much everyone knows it now, and those of us using both platforms are reminded of that fact on a daily basis. Sometimes harshly.

You want the best performing computer for audio? Get a PC running Windows. Barring any specific needs, any other recommendation is obviously just baseless at this point. The funny thing is that you'll probably even save money going with PC, but that's seriously secondary to anyone who spends 10-12 hours or more with these things most weekdays. I usually keep my computers for a few years, and when you spread the cost over that time it's not really a big deal. I just want the best performing and - even more importantly - most stable computer with the least hassles.

I really don't care what people choose to use in their studios, but I do care about the advice they give. To generally recommend Macs for music production to someone asking for advice in 2013 is not cool, because you'd only do so if you hadn't done your homework (in which case you obviously shouldn't go around giving people advice on the subject) or you're being dishonest. If the difference in performance between these two platforms was only marginal I'd have no problem with it, but that's obviously not the case now is it. And I'd personally be pretty upset if someone recommended an inferior solution based on their emotional attachment to a brand (or to defend their own previous purchasing decisions) knowing full well that I would have been better served with something else.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow ➑️
I'm the one splitting hairs?
Yes. Sorry Al, you just don't know what you're talking about. Significant differences between technologies, baked into the OS for free, operating exactly like no other technology on PCs, being used on millions of Macs right now. And patented. But you disagree by throwing up cached drives(?), $800 software packages that don't work at the block level, multi-thousand-dollar SAN packages, lots of FUD, and dismissal of patents you didn't even look at because "patents mean nothing." Feel free ... ignore... anything or anyone unsupportive of your narrow, incorrect worldview. I am hardly surprised to see any of this from the person who went trolling in another thread, "Apple has ZERO respect for it's customers" or told me (without any support whatsoever) that Apple's business practices were "unfair."

Bye!
Old 25th January 2013
  #65
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha ➑️
I really don't care what people choose to use in their studios, but I do care about the advice they give. To generally recommend Macs for music production to someone asking for advice in 2013 is not cool, because you'd only do so if you hadn't done your homework (in which case you obviously shouldn't go around giving people advice on the subject) or you're being dishonest.
Well said. The problem isn't that they are being dishonest when giving the advise, I'm sure they believe what they are preaching, the problem is that they are being dishonest to themselves or simply don't understand computers.

Unfortunately no amount of science or evidence can convince the religious type. That just isn't how their brains work.

Alistair
Old 27th January 2013
  #66
Gear Addict
 
OolalavSuperfukk's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
It's seems like there's quite an argument between PC and Macs here, but if I'm not mistaken, it seems like most of you are suggesting I go with a PC then? I don't know anything about building computers, but if I went the PC route, my brother could easily build one for me. Perhaps this is only because I lack a lot of knowledge when it comes to computers, but in the past, I've always found my previous PCs to be nice for about the first year and a half or so and then they slow down and get crappy. Perhaps it's do to some sort of lack of care, but I don't really know. All I know is that I've mainly used PCs when growing up and my brother usually built our computers with the best stuff on the market. So we'd usually have an awesome computer to start with, but then it'd get ****ty not too far down the road. I'm just mentioning this, cos I have heard from many people that Macs seem to last quite a while. So I guess that's one of my biggest concerns with a PC.
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
  #67
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
 
13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OolalavSuperfukk ➑️
wow, nice! and is that all because of the Core i7 980X? I'm using Presonus Studio One 2 Pro. Also what you said about the Mac OS vs PC, is that true for all Macs vs PCs? Just wondering, cos it does seem like there are a lot more people using Macs in the music industry or really any art industry. Anyways, correct me if I'm wrong, like I said, I obviously use a computer just fine like anyone else, but my actual knowledge about them and what certain things do is pretty much non existent
You'll see a lot of people here at GS wailing about Windows' better performance.

I tell you what: I was at NAMM yesterday, and Teddy Riley, yes, Teddy Riley, is at the Presonus booth demo-ing Studio One on a Windows laptop. Or rather, he is not, because his computer is acting up.

Pretty high profile gig, pretty high profile celeb. You'd think he'd have the money to get something decent, right? And even in the middle of this embarrassing performance he still tries to get the crowd to big up PC's, not sure why. He eventually got it going again, but the damage was done. He was out of the groove and gave a lacklustre and disappointing demonstration.

I'm one of his biggest fans, btw, but it was painful to watch this, so I walked away.

All the other booths, except Roland (Cakewalk is Windows-only) and a few PC-only devs, use Macs. Are they all crazy? Are they all blinded by the Mac's superior bling factor? I don't know.

Now, I might be the next person to switch back to Windows for various other reasons, but yesterday's episode was eerily familiar. It used to be a part of life. Macs are not perfect either, but they are definitely less of a headache than Windows machines.

I would not recommend one over the other, and if you already use a Windows machine without problems perhaps it is better to stick with it, but the ONLY place I ever hear of trouble-free PC's is the internet, and mostly here on Gearslutz. Out in the real world, I have yet to encounter one.

Good luck, I'm out.

Usual suspects to arrive with rebuttals in T minus 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...
Old 27th January 2013
  #68
BOP
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
I've recently saw some good deals on used mac pros on e(vil)bay

If I needed more machines I would get 2xQuad CPU mac pro, 3,1 model from 2008 and possibly later ones but not earlier than that since you want 64 support and that model is a killer one IMHO.
Have a look, you can score a nice one for about 1000 dollars.
Avoid those with just one quad cpu and treat HD's included as future 2nd backup ones - buy new HD's and run them in raid with scheduled backups.

You can also get digloyd tools to test hd's and ram - I find those tools pretty good. Still would get new HD's personally and something server graded.

Cheerio,
BOP
Old 27th January 2013 | Show parent
  #69
XI-MACHINES
 
DAW PLUS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic ➑️
You'll see a lot of people here at GS wailing about Windows' better performance.

I tell you what: I was at NAMM yesterday, and Teddy Riley, yes, Teddy Riley, is at the Presonus booth demo-ing Studio One on a Windows laptop. Or rather, he is not, because his computer is acting up.

Pretty high profile gig, pretty high profile celeb. You'd think he'd have the money to get something decent, right? And even in the middle of this embarrassing performance he still tries to get the crowd to big up PC's, not sure why. He eventually got it going again, but the damage was done. He was out of the groove and gave a lacklustre and disappointing demonstration.

I'm one of his biggest fans, btw, but it was painful to watch this, so I walked away.

All the other booths, except Roland (Cakewalk is Windows-only) and a few PC-only devs, use Macs. Are they all crazy? Are they all blinded by the Mac's superior bling factor? I don't know.

Now, I might be the next person to switch back to Windows for various other reasons, but yesterday's episode was eerily familiar. It used to be a part of life. Macs are not perfect either, but they are definitely less of a headache than Windows machines.

I would not recommend one over the other, and if you already use a Windows machine without problems perhaps it is better to stick with it, but the ONLY place I ever hear of trouble-free PC's is the internet, and mostly here on Gearslutz. Out in the real world, I have yet to encounter one.

Good luck, I'm out.

Usual suspects to arrive with rebuttals in T minus 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...
And here is a usual suspect... heh

On tradeshows, lots of things go wrong with PC or Mac. Usually the latest beta is installed, not really tested, the PC or Mac is often handed over without any tweaking or tweaked by someone who might not be informed. That is how it happens.

I don't see how this incident tells us anything about PCs or Macs.
The fact that you see more Macs than PCs on a tradeshow (even though here in Europe it seems getting pretty equal) has to do with the better looking box and the better looking surface. Add to that, Windows users usually don't care whether something is shown on a Mac or a PC. Mac users prefer to be shown on their fav platform.
Old 9th March 2013 | Show parent
  #70
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Which Apple Mac computer should I get for my music production? (2012)

here is my take on music production:
1. A good acoustic room " no more painting in dark rooms"
2. Music production computer, instruments & tools

If you can't hear properly what you're doing, then no high end gears will improve your skills and productions

a Macmini would be enough for anybody running a home/production/even professional studio, unless you need to rec and track for a pop production to a Neve or SSL console.

Invest your money in acoustic treatment
Old 9th March 2013
  #71
TNM
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Too tired to read the whole topic but will chime in

OolalavSuperfukk, do you care about noise? when a macbook or mac mini are using heavy cpu they sound like jet engines.. honestly.

My advice to you for your budget is an imac i7. Beautiful screen quiet as anything, very fast, plenty of external connectivity.. If you can find a 2011 one you won't lose any power (maybe 2% for audio lol to the current model) but you will gain a dedicated firewire buss without losing any thunderbolt ports, and an internal optical drive. But you WILL only have usb2.0 this way. However, i plan on keeping my 2011 imac till it literally expires and is non repairable.. as it is DEAD QUIET, and it can run SNOW LEOPARD!!! My favourite mac os of all time.

Anyway, i have had them all, macbooks, mac mini's, imacs (this is my fourth intel one) and mac pro's/G5's/G4 Duals (overall around 10 different mac desktops). The reason i am telling you this is not to show off as if anything it makes me look like an idiot ofr changing so often (that part of me is thankfully over, i no longer desire cutting edge), but rather to tell you i have experience with them and since you are new to mac, i will be more than happy to help you with anything you need to get up and running ok?

What host do you plan to use? Windows is a perfectly stable platform too, but i far prefer Mac OSX's "explorer" (called the finder in mac), so i do really enjoy and love just navigating my mac The reason i ask about host is that i can't lie, some hosts perform MUCH better on windows, and if for example you were using studio one, you would be doing yourself a great disservice buy moving to mac. I can go into details why in another post, but just let me know what program you are using, or if you are planning to go to a different one on mac, and we will take it from there.

Cheers
Old 9th March 2013 | Show parent
  #72
TNM
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OolalavSuperfukk ➑️
I do see your point about treating my room and getting some good monitors, but I just feel like a computer would still do me better at this moment, simply due to the fact that I can't even finish producing a song without my computer crapping out. I've got a bunch of song ideas that I want to finish up and record more; however, I it's impossible to mix my songs properly. I've only go 1 song 100% finished and recorded; however, the recording turned out really bad to to the fact i was always having to mute tracks and turn of certain plugins to mix. So I never actually got to mix to all the instruments playing simultaneously. So even if I treat my room and get monitors, this will still be an issue holding me back. Sure a better treated room will help me to probably use less plugins, especially on vocals, such as gating or expanders etc. But those plugins are the least of my worries. What I find seems to eat up my CPU like crazy is midi instruments, reverb, and compression.

Anyways, I do plan to get an RE-20 mic, and I hear those sound great in many situation whether the room is treated or not. Plus you don't need to worry about any proximity effect with it. I personally don't like to have a proximity effect. Anyways, that's my reasoning.

If you think I'm being naive in my thinking, just let me know and explain why so that I can understand a little better.

At least get some inexpensive isolation pads for your monitors. You can get perfectly usable monitors for a grand and still have plenty of budget for your imac. What monitors do you have now?
Old 9th March 2013
  #73
Lives for gear
 
JAZJETSON's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
i got a older imac that works great for me, i run a lot of plugz and still runs well. i believe its 2.6 dual core and 8gb ram.
Old 10th March 2013 | Show parent
  #74
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
To the OP: Used Macs for years to make music with. A month ago I messed up changing out a hard drive in my Mac Mini and knocked the IR connector off the motherboard. It was out of service for a few weeks till someone local repaired it.

Bought a nice 17" HP Envy with Win 8 to fill the gap till the Mini was repaired. After some study the OS was tweeked properly & Studio One + Pro Tools 10 and all my plugs were installed and working without issue. The only thing I missed from my mac was OSX. I like it <shrug>. Just my personal preference. Still, Win 8 worked fine for me & I got a decent song finished ITB on the HP lappy.

Either a Mac or Windows machine, properly set up with good software will serve you well. I have done 80+ track songs on my Mini with plugs galore and never heard the fan a single time. The HP Envy fan is louder but is easily compensated for. In the end, its your time & $$$. You can have a killer Windows rig built for less cash than a Mac. You can spend the extra money and get a Mac...either way you can make music.

As always, YMMV. Now go make some music!
Old 10th March 2013 | Show parent
  #75
TNM
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by serstickman ➑️

Either a Mac or Windows machine, properly set up with good software will serve you well.
THIS.

it really only boils down to what OS interface you prefer, and which software you want to use. Both a perfectly capable in the right hands of producing wonderful music.

However i am surprised about the mac mini fan.. my 2 year old one went nuts, and i read here a few times that the new ones are the same under load.. that they spin up full pelt. You are either lucky, or the other reports were wrong
Old 10th March 2013 | Show parent
  #76
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM ➑️
THIS.

it really only boils down to what OS interface you prefer, and which software you want to use. Both a perfectly capable in the right hands of producing wonderful music.

However i am surprised about the mac mini fan.. my 2 year old one went nuts, and i read here a few times that the new ones are the same under load.. that they spin up full pelt. You are either lucky, or the other reports were wrong
I dunno if I am lucky or what. Thankfully, I've not had a problem with the fan & noise that others report. Knock on wood lol
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5805 views: 1868740
Avatar for Drumsound
Drumsound 5 hours ago
replies: 62 views: 66422
Avatar for Alex Kretov
Alex Kretov 27th May 2019
replies: 295 views: 72484
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1296 views: 178748
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump