Quantcast
Namm News: MIDI Manufacturers Testing New High Definition MIDI Protocol - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Namm News: MIDI Manufacturers Testing New High Definition MIDI Protocol
Old 20th January 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
Namm News: MIDI Manufacturers Testing New High Definition MIDI Protocol

At the 2013 NAMM Show, being held Jan 24-27 in Anaheim, California, the MIDI Manufacturers Association plans to meet and review a proposed High Definition MIDI Protocol:

Members of the HD Protocol Working Group will provide a private demonstration of prototype hardware and software using a working draft of the HD Protocol Specification.

Various devices will be connected via wired and wireless Ethernet, to demonstrate the plug-and-play connection and session management capabilities built into the HD Protocol, as well as features such as higher resolution controls, more throughput, and MIDI device compatibility.

The purpose of the demonstration is to encourage more companies to participate in completing the HD Protocol Specification.

Among the features proposed for High Definition MIDI:

Support for more MIDI Channels and Controllers
Greater resolution in data values
New messages that were not practical with the MIDI 1.0 protocol
The draft proposal allows HD senders to specify a direct pitch, rather than a Note Number. The Direct Pitch field sets the base pitch of the note, overriding the base pitch that would otherwise be selected by the note number, allowing easy implementation of alternate tuning systems.
In addition to Note On and Note Off, the draft includes a Note Update message that allows modification of parameters or controllers during the lifetime of a note.
The High Definition MIDI specification has been under discussion at the annual MMA meeting since 2006. See the MIDI site for details.

Link : MMA HD Protocol Announcement
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very Interesting !

I agree, MIDI needs to move forward. Hopefully developers will agree on a new improved MIDI standard.

Thanks for sharing this important development.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc ➑️
Various devices will be connected via wired and wireless Ethernet, to demonstrate the plug-and-play connection and session management capabilities built into the HD Protocol, as well as features such as higher resolution controls, more throughput, and MIDI device compatibility.
would be very cool to use standard ethernet cables for midi
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Great to hear ! maybe this can be incorporated into controlling analogue outboard gear as well .
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow.
Really nicio and interesting.
Future seems promising these days....
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Was only 30 years...
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_HS ➑️
Was only 30 years...
yeah...and it's served us *really* well for 30 years! but it would be even better with the changes they're looking at
Old 21st January 2013
Deleted User
Accurate timing and no sticking notes and Id be happy
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'm assuming intelligent lock and HD midi telling eachother who they are so automatic invironment loading? Looks to be not happening because of lack of shared interests. It would mean Yamaha Tyros working in Cakewalk Sonar and Korg Cronos in Cubase?
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
This sounds a lot like the Open Sound Control protocol. I hope it catches on.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted e1b9f94
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➑️
Accurate timing and no sticking notes and Id be happy
That doesn't have anything with the standard itself. I've had timing problems on computers but when i moved to hardware sequencer/recorder they where all gone.

Anyway i hope they will have some sort of backward compatibility and some sort of features which will be possible to use even on older MIDI devices.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
nice, at last my midi cables will be vintage!
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What are the limitations of the current midi standard?

I remember the makers of the Eigenharp instrument saying their instrument lost some of its expressiveness because of the limitations of midi.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted e1b9f94 ➑️
That doesn't have anything with the standard itself.
I didnt say it did. I said what I would like to see
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
MIDI timecode

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
What are the limitations of the current midi standard?
I compose and produce music for movies in England .... anything with CGI and post production in Europe now comes over from the USA on a QT movie with a 23.976 fps frame rate ..... this renders MIDI impossible to use. (MIDI v1 doesn't recognise the newer frame rates)

For example running a QT picture in another computer to the main DAW is very difficult to set up given that you can't simply fire off MIDI TC @ 23.976 to something like Gallery Virtual VTR (which is what I used to do with 24 fps/25fps / 29.97fps & 30 fps)
Old 22nd January 2013
OMU
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc ➑️
Greater resolution in data values
Hoping for MUCH higher resolution. We're tired of the zipping effect.
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugus Maximus ➑️
I compose and produce music for movies in England .... anything with CGI and post production in Europe now comes over from the USA on a QT movie with a 23.976 fps frame rate ..... this renders MIDI impossible to use. (MIDI v1 doesn't recognise the newer frame rates)

For example running a QT picture in another computer to the main DAW is very difficult to set up given that you can't simply fire off MIDI TC @ 23.976 to something like Gallery Virtual VTR (which is what I used to do with 24 fps/25fps / 29.97fps & 30 fps)
Strange that QT is 23.976 , Now why would they just not set it at 24 fps ? just to make it easier and a standard .
πŸ“ Reply