Quantcast
Calculating HW delay in PT9 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Calculating HW delay in PT9
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Calculating HW delay in PT9

I'm trying to use hardware compressors for parallel processing.
The trick to calculate the roundtrip from software to DA for hardware and then back to digital is simple enough: record it, zoom in, check the delay. but...
PT 9 compensates for recording latency (not plugin latency, but it moves the audio back in time).
Dly compensation is on, as I am parallel mixing drum channels mixed with plugins.
I can think of some time consuming and momentum killing workarounds, but am hoping for a simple () solution that my limited technical creative brain just can't come up with.

PT10 and HD has a button that turns the compensation of I believe, PT9 hasn't to my knowledge..

Anyone encountered this and figured out how to get it to work?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old 23rd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
try this. put 2 send on your audio track, one set to say output 3-4, and another sent to output 5-6. turn off the output and set both of your levels where they need to be. send 3-4 to the comp then send the other output right back into protools. if you need to adjust the rest of the tracks to hear how it sits with the rest of the mix, then put everything you are not sending out of the computer (except for the 2 (in my example stereo) tracks you are recording back in to pro tools) into a auxillary track and use time adjuster to compensate for your delay.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've been trying to sort out a way to do this in PT10 Native with a Fatso for parallel drum smashing. I have yet to find a way around the "moving target" of firewire latency.

In short, what I understand is that there's some element of dynamic buffering on a sub-millisecond level inherent in Firewire. For that reason, you can ping, check, compensate - then do the same thing again and get different results in your latency measurement. Also, PT native only allows for compensation on HW inserts down to .01 millisecond. That's not going to give you sample-accuracy, which means anything done in parallel will be phase-f**ked.

Now, for taking your whole drum sub-mix out of the box, compressing a bit, then returning to your DAW, I've found I can get the compensation close enough to sit correctly, rhythmically. But yeah, for anything parallel, you're going to either need a true HD rig with sample-accurate, or at least consistent, latency compensation, something like Apogee Symphony (legacy or the new line) should also be able to do this, or an analog summing system where you insert the HW only after you've finished what you were doing ITB and were ready to sum the mix.

Here's hoping you know something I don't! Nevertheless, hope that helps a bit.
📝 Reply