Quantcast
HDTV and Monitor w/mac mini - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HDTV and Monitor w/mac mini
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
HDTV and Monitor w/mac mini

Hi, I am building my studio and will purchasing a new mac mini..really not sure if I should go with a 42-52 inch hdtv or dual monitors. Is there any benefit from using the monitors than the tv? someone told me when connecting a mac mini to monitors, it will always look nicer and the Protools mix and edit window have more resolution.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you use a TV, make sure you can compensate for the overscan. TVs crop the picture slightly to make sure you don't get any gaps at the screen edge from source material that's not squared up properly and the like.

If you can't compensate, then your menu bar and dock will be half cut off.

Dual monitors will give you more real estate. Look at your pixel count, not the screen size.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown ➑️
If you use a TV, make sure you can compensate for the overscan. TVs crop the picture slightly to make sure you don't get any gaps at the screen edge from source material that's not squared up properly and the like.

If you can't compensate, then your menu bar and dock will be half cut off.

Dual monitors will give you more real estate. Look at your pixel count, not the screen size.
makes sense.. how can I do this is it something I change in my mac preferences or on the T.V. which HDtv brand would you recommend? thanks again
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
just make sure your using DVI or HDMI if you go with the TV. this will help to overcome the overscan trimming issues that some TV's have. with the hdmi/dvi connection you will find that it almost always automatically optimizes the display position and resolution.

personally i run 3 x 23" monitors each 1080p and i love the added real estate it gives. although a large display is impressive to clientele i think you will find that your work flow will benefit more from the multiple displays.

The biggest thing is that you need to be comfortable for long sessions. and the monitors are going to be easier on the eyes. plus a huge display you will find a need to turn your head back and forth the view the display depending on how far back it is set from you.
Old 20th January 2013
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a couple of 19" monitors and a 40" LED TV in my studio, and at different times have worked between many combinations of this setup. The thing with a TV is you have exactly the same amount of pixels typically, if not less (1080 lines compared to 1200 or more) than a computer monitor. Which means you don't really get any more desktop space, stuff just gets bigger...

I'm planning on a video card for my PC that can drive 2 monitors and the TV simultaneously, as sometimes it is nice to put stuff up on the TV like YouTube clips, or if you want to show someone what you are doing who is sitting back on the couch.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Deleted 2ef94c5
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown ➑️
This is so 2010...

Every new Samsung, LG, Sharp or Pioneer I have used in last 2 years is SPOT ON now via HDMI. Right now its all about the new Samsungs, crazy thin and light, super dymanic, smart as F, and WIDE view angle. Last year the Sharp Quattros were hot for their price through Costco. For movies where blacks are important, the pricey Pioneer Elite is the one to beat (but I dont like it for computer monitor usage as much as the crisp Samsung).

But for a DAW monitor, where you're grabbing knobs and faders across 24+ tracks, you need pixels, and a single 1080p (1,920 x 1,080) from 5+ feet away means increased vertical and horizontal scrolling for many of us. And since the modern DAWs are trying to minimize extra mouse clicks / keyboard strokes through merged windows and macro-like combined functions, it makes sense to let our DAW projects be as fully represented as possible on just one screen, which WILL improve workflow.

I did dual monitors forever, and even went a few years where my second screen was the control room plasma TV, but right now there are monitors like this 2560 x 1600 bad boy that can easily fit a busy session on it. Also, the current Apple Thunderbolt (2560 x 1440) display is pretty darn good, and the price is competitive with Dell and NEC (comparing PPI = Pixels per inch) which wasn't the case with prior apple monitors.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really havent bought any tv yet and still yet have to purchase my Mac mini.. Great info fellas really appreciate the help!! I guess with the new mac mini If I did go with the HDTV I should be fine as all of em have corrected this oversizing and trimming problem..
What does it mean when they say a computer monitor gives u more real estate?

are they're any brands or models anybody could recommend? I plan on going to best buy tomorrow.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
More real estate due to higher resolution. If you had to fit a bag full of balls into a box, you would fit more ping pong balls over baseballs as they are smaller. This applies to resolution. The pixels are smaller on a higher resolution screen,so if an image is 192 x 108 pixels, that would take up 1/100th of the screen of a typical 1920 x 1080 TV. On a computer monitor with a higher resolution, say Apple's 2560 x 1440, this same 192x108 pixel image would take up 1/177th of the screen real estate.

I hope that makes sense, and anyone feel free to chime in if I have missed the mark....
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great point! thanks for the response, well when I was thinking about getting dual monitors I was gonna go for 2 23inch Dell's ($450) I was not thinking of the apple display, dont think those dells could go that high in resolution.

If I do decide to go with the HDTV is it ok to get a 42-50 inch dont know if the quality starts to go under, I plan on sitting 30-40 inches away.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great point! thanks for the response, well when I was thinking about getting dual monitors I was gonna go for 2 23inch Dell's ($450) I was not thinking of the apple display, dont think those dells could go that high in resolution.

If I do decide to go with the HDTV is it ok to get a 42-50 inch dont know if the quality starts to go under, I plan on sitting 30-40 inches away.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Addict

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
1080 HD TV is relatively low resolution compared to a good computer monitor, Things are likely to look far less crisp and clear the bigger the TV is as the pixels get larger as the screen does

If you are viewing from a distance it will be mostly fine, if you are working from a couple of feet away or less as is typical with a computer monitor you may find it distracting and blurry

I use two 27" high resolution monitors and would take them over a big TV any day. Of course I could probably buy four or five big TVs for the price of two decent Hi resolution monitors so there is the trade off
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ok there goes that Idea.. I see what your saying now. Im not interested in that blur from a tv. plus I was thinking of getting a 50inch.

Can u recommend any good monitor brand, Im probably going to do 2- 23 inch monitors.
thanks
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr3 ➑️
This is so 2010...

Every new Samsung, LG, Sharp or Pioneer I have used in last 2 years is SPOT ON ....
This is true, but I was pointing out so that the OP was aware it's manageable should he run into it. Most TVs are pixel-for-pixel now, but I was just at my cousin's helping him figure out where his Windows Start Menu went on his new Samsung hybrid TV/Monitor. Had to compensate in the ATI control panel.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been using an LCD TV for over 2 years and love it. I've worked for years with 2 monitors and felt everything was too small on those. You really needed to make an effort to view it all. With a 42" TV and say a controller between you and it and it's just perfect. Just be sure that the refresh rate is at least 100Hz or your eyes will suffer if you work for long periods.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
now im interested again on getting that 40 inch lol.. any brands recommend, It would have to have a 100 refresh rate as stated right?

which brands are the best for this.. and can I go with a 50inch. thanks
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
42 is enough for me. It all depends how far you'll be from it. A Panasonic or Samsung will do fine.
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
awesome thanks again fellas.. very helpful!!
πŸ“ Reply