Quantcast
Is there a DAW that is considered better for orchestral? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is there a DAW that is considered better for orchestral?
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is there a DAW that is considered better for orchestral?

I was wondering if there is a DAW that most consider the preferred way to go if you write orchestral stuff. Having a piano roll and traditional notation is a plus. I am planning on buying a symphonic sound library- some of these seem to already have articulations but I don't know if that means you don't need a DAW that offers note control. Is Reaper unsuited for this? What would be the best choice? (I have a PC platform) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I think Sibelius is popular, although not really a DAW.
It's part of the Avid family, so maybe integrates well with Pro Tools.
I'm sure PT is a popular DAW with film composers for orchestral composition.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cubase. It has VST Note expression and lots of MIDI capabilities.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Seems like a lot of composers for film/orchestral work are using Digital Performer. It has many unique features for composing to film...
DP8 will be available for PC "shortly". It was announced last NAMM but the PC version has been delayed, but the latest rumours has it it's finally gonna be released around this NAMM
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune ➑️
I was wondering if there is a DAW that most consider the preferred way to go if you write orchestral stuff.
From all the interviews i've read with many film composers, the most popular DAWs seem to be these three : Logic, Cubase, DP ( Protools is usually used more as an intermediary platform to transfer the end results to the film mixers and post-prod people )
Old 20th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Cubase or Nuendo if its STP is a great choice.

Logic is great for this (although grouping is a bit crap) - but you've stipulated PC . DP is good too but if you are sending to stuff to score mixers (like me) then DP puts you out in the cold (I prefer to take your sessions rather than have prints).

PT is good for most things but its still pretty rubbish when it come to hosting VIs.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cubase here.

Most of what I do is orchestral in nature.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you already have Reaper, it's fine. I use it with the EastWest libs without any issues. Changing articulations is accomplished by certain notes, so you just need to trigger those notes to switch articulations on the fly (same way you'd trigger any other note).

There probably are other DAWs which might be more suited for it particular when it comes to MIDI editing (i.e. Cubase), but DAWs are not genre specific.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Logic Pro for me.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I was wondering if there is a DAW that most consider the preferred way to go if you write orchestral stuff. Having a piano roll and traditional notation is a plus. I am planning on buying a symphonic sound library- some of these seem to already have articulations but I don't know if that means you don't need a DAW that offers note control.
On the PC platform, Cubase is probably the best choice for orchestral work due to the above mentioned feature (VST Note Expression).
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I would choose between cubase/pc or logic/mac. they're most probably the best ever midi sequencers, and that's what ya need..
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The best DAW would be whichever the operator is most comfortable with.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureLegends ➑️
Seems like a lot of composers for film/orchestral work are using Digital Performer. It has many unique features for composing to film...
DP8 will be available for PC "shortly". It was announced last NAMM but the PC version has been delayed, but the latest rumours has it it's finally gonna be released around this NAMM
On a side note, didn't DP used to be available for PC in the past, then they canned Win development?

Also, FWIW, Hans Zimmer uses Cubase, at least the last time I checked.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I assume you work mostly with MIDI. so I would clearly recommend Cubase, because of its outstanding MIDI-implementation. to be honest, I dont know the other DAWs so well, but to me it seems that when it comes to MIDI you cant be wrong using Cubase. there is nothing in MIDI, what you cant do or manipulate in the easiest possible way with Cubase. you sure will have to learn how you do it when you know what to do. a friend of me always said regarding Cubase (since 1988 ...): the question is never if you can do it, the question is only how you can do it. that describes it in my experience very well. and the Cubase manual is a goldmine when it comes to learning MIDI.
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe ➑️
I assume you work mostly with MIDI. so I would clearly recommend Cubase, because of its outstanding MIDI-implementation. to be honest, I dont know the other DAWs so well, but to me it seems that when it comes to MIDI you cant be wrong using Cubase. there is nothing in MIDI, what you cant do or manipulate in the easiest possible way with Cubase. you sure will have to learn how you do it when you know what to do. a friend of me always said regarding Cubase (since 1988 ...): the question is never if you can do it, the question is only how you can do it. that describes it in my experience very well. and the Cubase manual is a goldmine when it comes to learning MIDI.
In the end I decided to buy Cubase. I liked Reaper but I was sold by the fact that Cubase had chord assistant, VI's, and the whole Yamaha wealth of interconnecting technology. I hear Cubase is acquiring Sibelius so I look forward to improved music notation abilities. Thanks for all the help.

A few questions:
1. I have a quad core laptop- does it matter which core I intall it on (the laptop is dedicated only to music)?

2. Do all my VI's that I own before buying Cubase need to be installed in the same place as the Cubase VI's? (should they be?)

3. Can Cubase run different VI's at the same time that have different engines, such as kontackt and East West (Play) or do the different engines interfere with each other?

4. Is it wiser to get Halion than another sample player? Do they all work as well as plug ins? (much seems to be made for Kontackt)

I'm sorry if some of these questions seem a bit basic-thanks
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know if this is true so maybe I shouldn't say it.. but my understanding was that Cubase's expression stuff with MIDI required the latest great VST standard and developers weren't found of it so Halion would be the only sampler that would support it.. If this is true then it's surely a consideration.

No, there should be no problem working with different vsti's with "different engines."

There's a lot of stuff out there that "requires the kontakt engine" as in player.. and some of it needs the full version of Kontakt.

It seems that Kontakt has become "the industry standard sampler." I think a large part of this was how huge of a sample library it came with at a certain point.. that and it's.. kinda like synth engine.. plus the scripting, and it's ability to morph articulations is another thing to consider..

I haven't really used any of the other samplers (well Sample Cell and the Unity DS-1), so I can't say a whole lot about it... But I will say that if you have a goal of achieving realistic orchestral music.. one of the tricks of the trade is to use multiple sample libraries together... so given Cubase's note expression.. I could see that as a good argument for doing both Halion and Kontakt.. or something else.

I'll also say of Kontakt that it's something of a "modular" system.. which I suppose is a way of saying that it goes quite deep. Some people have a hard time wrapping there heads around that depth, and it isn't all the most intuitive thing ever.. but I suppose for orchestral stuff it shouldn't be too bad?
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
In the end I decided to buy Cubase. I liked Reaper but I was sold by the fact that Cubase had chord assistant, VI's, and the whole Yamaha wealth of interconnecting technology. I hear Cubase is acquiring Sibelius so I look forward to improved music notation abilities. Thanks for all the help.

A few questions:
1. I have a quad core laptop- does it matter which core I intall it on (the laptop is dedicated only to music)?

2. Do all my VI's that I own before buying Cubase need to be installed in the same place as the Cubase VI's? (should they be?)

3. Can Cubase run different VI's at the same time that have different engines, such as kontackt and East West (Play) or do the different engines interfere with each other?

4. Is it wiser to get Halion than another sample player? Do they all work as well as plug ins? (much seems to be made for Kontackt)

I'm sorry if some of these questions seem a bit basic-thanks
Good to hear you've made your choice. Cubase is a great DAW.

Some answers:

1. Don't worry.

2. There should probably already be a VST plug-in folder which Cubase will then scan at startup.

3. Yes it can, they will not interfere.

4. Kontakt is the de facto sampler. I haven't checked Halion for a while, but from what I gather it has been improving recently.
πŸ“ Reply