Quantcast
OWC Harddrive Question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OWC Harddrive Question
Old 20th January 2013
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
allyouneedisears's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
OWC Harddrive Question

Any reason I shouldn't get THIS as a external drive for sample libraries & audio storage? Thanks
Old 20th January 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyouneedisears ➑️
Any reason I shouldn't get THIS as a external drive for sample libraries & audio storage? Thanks
16mb cache is not great neither is usb2.
I buy all of my drives from OWC.
I'd look for 64mb cache & go with eSATA or usb3 if you have, if not fw800 would be better than fw400 which are both better than usb2.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
allyouneedisears's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc ➑️
16mb cache is not great neither is usb2.
I buy all of my drives from OWC.
I'd look for 64mb cache & go with eSATA or usb3 if you have, if not fw800 would be better than fw400 which are both better than usb2.
Hmm... It seems only their 2tb drives have 64mb cache. I plan on using FW800 and daisy chaining my Duet(the old one). That should be fine right?

EDIT: How bout THIS ONE
Old 20th January 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Whatever you get, you shouldn't ever put audio and samples on the same drive. You should have a separate drive for samples. If you can't, then put them on the main system drive.
Old 20th January 2013
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
allyouneedisears's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I never run more than one VSTi at a time, usually a kontakt instrument... and then I always freeze it, so it becomes audio. Would it even matter then?
Old 20th January 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I'd go with the OWC line,they come with a OWC warranty which in my experience they are easier to deal with than most other companies.
They have 1tb or 1tb models.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ME3QH7T1.0/

I use separate drives for samples and projects as well. It I also use sata or esata.
I don't like too much on a fw buss.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Maniac
 
allyouneedisears's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc ➑️
I'd go with the OWC line,they come with a OWC warranty which in my experience they are easier to deal with than most other companies.
They have 1tb or 1tb models.
OWC OWCME3QH7T1.0 1.0TB Mercury Elite Pro 7200RPM... in stock at OWC

I use separate drives for samples and projects as well. It I also use sata or esata.
I don't like too much on a fw buss.
My macbook pro is a 2011 model... so firewire 800 is my only option. That one seems to only have 32mb cache?
Old 20th January 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I had a friend of mine get the 2 tb model a couple of weeks ago they have 64mb cache.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MEAQ7H20TB64/

For $5 more you can get the model that also has SATA & usb3 so if you ever change to a newer computer you will have other options besides fw800
I prefer to just have I/O on fw buss when possible,you can't now with your present computer but later on you might.
This will be more future proof:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ME3QH7T2.0/
Old 20th January 2013
  #9
Deleted 94711a4
Guest
I have a few OWC external enclosures.

You could always just order the enclosure alone, without any drive inside, and put in your own drive of your choosing, if you are looking to use a specific drive.
Old 20th January 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBX-80 ➑️
I have a few OWC external enclosures.

You could always just order the enclosure alone, without any drive inside, and put in your own drive of your choosing, if you are looking to use a specific drive.
That's what I do but the OWC enclosure hd's bundled together give you a 3 year warranty directly with OWC.
From my experience they will be much easier to deal with if a drive goes bad.
It sounds like the op doesn't do this much a 3 year warranty on both the enclosue and hd might be easier for him to deal with, some hd companies like Seagate are a nightmare for warranty replacement or trying to troubleshoot a bad drive or enclosure.
If it goes south he can just send the whole thing back.
I change hd's and put them in enclosures all the time.
I'm using 9 drives with my rig so I'm used to this but if the op isn't the Pre-rolled option might be easier for him IMO.
Old 20th January 2013
  #11
Eat
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
i just got this sucker for my new mini...
OWC MS8U3H5750GB 750GB Mercury On-The-Go Pro... in stock at OWC

put all my samples on it and then use my older fw400 ministack for the recording drive.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc ➑️
the OWC enclosure hd's bundled together give you a 3 year warranty directly with OWC.
And they stand behind that, but a friend had one drive crap out on her last year and it took weeks to get it settled. She wanted them to send her a replacement unit immediately (even charge her credit card temporarily, if they had to) while she shipped back the broken unit but they refused. She ended up having to send in her drive, wait for them to confirm it was broken, then wait some more for them to ship her a refurbished equivalent drive. A pain in the ass.

Right now at bandh.com you can get an HGST Touro 4Gb external USB 3.0 drive for just $185, which is less than the OWC 2Tb model you linked to. OWC's extra cost isn't worth half the storage and 2 more years of (pain in the ass) warranty to me.

One more thing: with the right credit card you can double your warranty up to 1 year (1-yr becomes 2-yrs, 3-yrs becomes 4), which is why I make all my purchases with my Amex Blue card. So you effectively get a 2-year warranty on the HGST (Hitachi, recently bought by Western Digital), an almost unbeatable deal.

AmEx warranty extension
Old 20th January 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➑️
And they stand behind that, but a friend had one drive crap out on her last year and it took weeks to get it settled. She wanted them to send her a replacement unit immediately (even charge her credit card temporarily, if they had to) while she shipped back the broken unit but they refused. She ended up having to send in her drive, wait for them to confirm it was broken, then wait some more for them to ship her a refurbished equivalent drive. A pain in the ass.

Right now at bandh.com you can get an HGST Touro 4Gb external USB 3.0 drive for just $185, which is less than the OWC 2Tb model you linked to. OWC's extra cost isn't worth half the storage and 2 more years of (pain in the ass) warranty to me.

One more thing: with the right credit card you can double your warranty up to 1 year (1-yr becomes 2-yrs, 3-yrs becomes 4), which is why I make all my purchases with my Amex Blue card. So you effectively get a 2-year warranty on the HGST (Hitachi, recently bought by Western Digital), an almost unbeatable deal.

AmEx warranty extension
Good points Skira,
I have always had 1st class customer service from OWC.
Different circumstances but they've sent me advance replacements without questions or delays your friend encountered but it wasn't hd related.

The B&H deal is nice but the op has a 2011 MacBook Pro so USB3 isn't an option.
I like the OWC option because you have several connection options and their enclosures and power supplies have great track records,in my experience the enclosure or power supply are more likely to fail than the hd.
On the other hand hd manufactures marketed external enclosures and power supplies have a poor track record,look at all of the threads from "my book" users.
I'd rather spend a bit more for a better,proven enclosure & power supply now so I can avoid problems later.
Old 20th January 2013
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
allyouneedisears's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Thanks everyone for your advice. It seems I'm going to need to spend a bit extra and pickup something that is future proof.

I would like to ask a question though: is there much point in having 2 separate external drives (samples and audio) if I always freeze my tracks to audio and never work with more than 1 sample instrument at a time?
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Addict
 
dcrigger's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc ➑️
That's what I do but the OWC enclosure hd's bundled together give you a 3 year warranty directly with OWC.
From my experience they will be much easier to deal with if a drive goes bad.
It sounds like the op doesn't do this much a 3 year warranty on both the enclosue and hd might be easier for him to deal with, some hd companies like Seagate are a nightmare for warranty replacement or trying to troubleshoot a bad drive or enclosure.
Can't say about enclosures, but regarding drives - I've dealt with Seagate on many under warranty drive failures - and the process has never been less than smooth and effortless. Fill out the form online - pack up and send them the drive - and they send back another one. If time is an issue, they'll do the send you a drive immediately with a credit card with the charge disappearing after they receive the defective drive.

Over the years I've probably had to do this a dozen times with never a single bump in the road.

As for enclosures - on the other hand - I've never owned a Seagate enclosure that didn't end up having problems with. So I simply avoid buying them.

David
Old 20th January 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyouneedisears ➑️
Thanks everyone for your advice. It seems I'm going to need to spend a bit extra and pickup something that is future proof.

I would like to ask a question though: is there much point in having 2 separate external drives (samples and audio) if I always freeze my tracks to audio and never work with more than 1 sample instrument at a time?
Absolutely!!! You should have separate drives for sample and projects,for best performance.
I know you probably don't want to hear this,you also need a backup plan in place before a problem arises,whether it's redundant drives(clones via sd or ccc) or a large time machine drive .
You need to back everything up.
Old 20th January 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrigger ➑️
Can't say about enclosures, but regarding drives - I've dealt with Seagate on many under warranty drive failures - and the process has never been less than smooth and effortless. Fill out the form online - pack up and send them the drive - and they send back another one. If time is an issue, they'll do the send you a drive immediately with a credit card with the charge disappearing after they receive the defective drive.

Over the years I've probably had to do this a dozen times with never a single bump in the road.

As for enclosures - on the other hand - I've never owned a Seagate enclosure that didn't end up having problems with. So I simply avoid buying them.

David
That's why I'm recommending the OWC enclosures they have a better track record than most external enclosures & power supplies from the HD manufactures and the 3rd part enclosure retailers,I have had too many failures with cheap enclosures,more so than hd's by a large margin.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc ➑️
The B&H deal is nice but the op has a 2011 MacBook Pro so USB3 isn't an option.
I like the OWC option because you have several connection options and their enclosures and power supplies have great track records
In that event I agree with you.

I have myself been looking into USB3 devices for my soon-to-be-arriving mini, and came across that HGST deal, but I personally have 4 OWC external drives going back a decade. I like the company and they have solid products, but lately their offerings, ranging from HDs to RAM, have been a little pricey.
Old 20th January 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I'd rather pay a bit more for something that lasts,I have too many dead "bargain" enclosures and power supplies.
I have junk piles of Firmtek,Macally etc....
I am tired of dealing with these companies,bad support and qc.
9 times out of 10 for me it's been the enclosures etc.... not the hd's.
I love Hitachi drives and have had great success with them for me they've been as good as WD blacks which I also use.
Old 21st January 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Well, you won't get Caviar Black drives in a OWC case with a 3-year warranty. Those 2Tb drives linked to above use Seagate Barracudas, which aren't bad but aren't WD Caviar.

You could split the diference by buying a bare Mercury Elite Pro case from OWC ($40 for FireWire400/USB2, or $80 for eSATA/FireWire800(+400/USB2) then install a bare drive at the cheapest price you can find it, but you'll only get a 1-yr warranty on the case.
Old 21st January 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 
kgdrum_nyc's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The 1tb model a couple of weeks ago actually did have the WD black,I prefer them over Seagate historically but I think the lines are getting blurred,I think 2 companies own 4 or 5 of the brands now.
I wonder if there's much of a difference between the different brands,I would have preferred WD when I had my buddy get the 2tb model but who really knows now how different the brands actually are, I suspect after all of the issues Seagate had the last couple of years there as good now as Hitachi or WD.
Old 21st January 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Hmm, never saw OWC filling their cases with Caviar Black, must be something new (or they got stock at a really good price).

FYI OWC's cases are actually from Taiwanese company inxtron.com and manufactured in mainland China. You can find them rebranded in the USA by OWC but also on amazon and ebay with the 'Akitio' name.
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump