Quantcast
Is anyone successfully using a Z77 chipset mobo with UAD-2 cards? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is anyone successfully using a Z77 chipset mobo with UAD-2 cards?
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Is anyone successfully using a Z77 chipset mobo with UAD-2 cards? Solved...

Update/Edit#2:
After thinking I had beaten the problem I was disappointed to find the problem returned after a few days of "smoother" operation. I was back to the card not starting up and all the same intermittent issues. At the end of my rope I asked a friend if I could borrow their UAD-2 card to test in my system (I took mine to his studio to test mine early on). I picked up his card and returned to my studio to find his card worked every time I started the computer without changing a single setting. I was able to start up and shut down and start again as well as successful restarts. At this point I was certain I had a defective card.

It was still under warranty and called UA to explain the situation. I had been talking to them all along but we both thought the card wasn't the issue because it worked in other computers. We both agreed a replacement was the best next step. If that didn't work, well... I immediately sent the card off and they dispatched a replacement which I received this morning. Upon installing the card it worked the first, second and third starts, restarts, etc. I am thrilled to have this part of the experience behind me.

Update/Edit:
The source of the UAD-2 not consistently initializing appears to be a conflict with using the i7 onboard video. If you are having problems with a Z77 chipset and a UAD-2 try installing a video card and then disable the onboard video function. The motherboard I ended up using was a GA77X-UP5H-TH. The video card I had on hand was an ATI 4870 HD or something like that. Hopefully I will be saving someone some time with this information. I suspect I could have gotten the Asus board to work too but that one is already packed up to be returned. All three motherboards I tried really seemed excellent and without the UAD-2 they would have been keepers.

The following is the original post...
I'm having a tough time getting a compatible motherboard for a new build. I've ordered two higher end motherboards (Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt and Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH) and neither have proven to initialize my UAD-2 Quad better than 10% of the time. There is an odd behavior I've noticed where successful initialization and fully operational start-ups happen almost always when the computer is being started for the first time after a long time of being turned off. The UAD-2 card will not survive a reboot or shutdown/restart.

I went to fry's last night looking for a cheaper Z68 based board just to see if I could get a system put together that would work but they didn't have anything and an inexpensive Z77 motherboard wasn't cheap enough to take a chance on another when two others have proven not to work.

Anyone who is familiar with UAD-2 cards knows there's a bit of a "startup" routine where two LEDs on the bottom of the card illuminate and then three LED's across the top will start to flash. That means the card is ready to have the drivers loaded and the system can work. These lights start doing their thing as soon the system begins to power up. If you don't get those two lights on the bottom at power up (you only get one) the card will start flashing the status LED in 4 red flashes. The drivers will not load and the card wont show up in device manager.

I've developed lots of theories along the way but I can't really test any of it. If I know what the card needed to have happen to fully initialize then I might be able to rule some things out. The fresh startup successes and subsequent failures could be some kind of capacitance building up on the board or the card. During a long period of being off all the charge is drained and a restart is possible because some high/low bit differentiation is detectable (I don't know what I'm talking about).

If it turns out the UAD is incompatible with the Z77 chipset then it might be on the verge of extinction. That's super disappointing since I've only had it for barely 5 months.

I've spoken to UA and Asus. Neither has any answers. I've tried pretty much everything I can think of and everything they've suggested. These are all clean installations of Win7/64 (although the initialization problem shows up long before the OS is a factor). It would be nice if UA had a higher level of support than the CS reps they have. Nice guy but not really a technician of any sort.

The other parts are a 3770K, corasair vengeance ram, Corsair TX650M power supply. All the PCI-e slots work with other cards. Both motherboards exhibit the same behavior more or less.

Okay, there's my Saturday afternoon pre-rehearsal Gearslutz novel. Can't wait to read the stories of Z77 or Z68 triumph!

Cheers!

Last edited by wm_b; 24th January 2013 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: Found a solution to the problem
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
ThatΒ΄s really bad, cause I wanted to upgrade my system to the same Gigabyte board.
Gigabyte worked better for me than Asus in the last years, but this is really odd..

The question is, with so much horsepower, do we need UAD at all?
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Well, I suppose it's always possible you just have a bad UAD-2 card. Did it work ok in your old system?

From what you've described, I'd suspect that the card might not be getting configured properly (or perhaps only sporadically) by the system BIOS/UEFI ACPI auto-configuration firmware during system boot, rather than some electrical glitch. That might be due to a resource conflict with another system device which the BIOS autoconfig can't resolve (or can only resolve sporadically).

Assuming you've tried disabling everything else not required to boot and tried the card in different slots and still can't get the card to be recognized, maybe you should get it RMA'd (I'm assuming it's still under warranty) and/or try a different card.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddard ➑️
Well, I suppose it's always possible you just have a bad UAD-2 card. Did it work ok in your old system?

From what you've described, I'd suspect that the card might not be getting configured properly (or perhaps only sporadically) by the system BIOS/UEFI ACPI auto-configuration firmware during system boot, rather than some electrical glitch. That might be due to a resource conflict with another system device which the BIOS autoconfig can't resolve (or can only resolve sporadically).

Assuming you've tried disabling everything else not required to boot and tried the card in different slots and still can't get the card to be recognized, maybe you should get it RMA'd (I'm assuming it's still under warranty) and/or try a different card.
I have tried every slot on the board that the card will fit into. On the Asus it was slot 1 that worked and the driver would successfully load, on the Gigabyte it's slot 3. Sometimes the other slots would initialize but the driver wouldn't load properly (LED flashes Red/green). I am assuming those slots have some kind of conflict. Not every slot has initialized the card but I have so few successful boots that I can't say for sure.

Yes, I've disabled every feature on the boards to try to get a consistently booting system. So far every time I get something that initializes a few times in a row it will just stop working and prove my method wrong.

The card works perfectly in my old Asus Maximus Formula board. I've taken it back to the studio a few times to do other work. If the card wasn't so new and I didn't have so much invested in plugins I might consider abandoning it. I've had UAD cards since they were distributed by mackie. I'm dumping my powercore cards because I don't want the DSP hassles. Sometimes the cards don't boot up and I have to reset the system 4 or 5 times to get my system to boot. The only plugins I use on those cards are the Sony Oxford plugs. I'm so tired of dealing with those issues that I'm just going to let them go. I want a simple system that boots up and lets me go to work. There are some UAD plugins that I think are unique and superior to native versions.

I hinted at doing an RMA for a new card when I was on the phone but the CSR was of the opinion that if it worked in another system the card must be fine. There is a thread on the UAD forum where some other people had the same problem and a new card fixed the issue. However those people never go their cards to work.

I'm running out of things to test. At this point I need to try another chipset or another card.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Well, i don't believe your older system used UEFI yet, so...

One thing you might try, if your Gigabyte or Asus Z77 board UEFI BIOS provides the option, is to select "legacy boot" or "legacy BIOS" or "PCI BIOS" instead of UEFI, which will then use an emulated legacy BIOS which may work better at configuring your UAD card, and may also enable you to adjust some settings. If there is any option to select "PCI legacy ROM", try that too.

Another thing, UAD-2 is supposed to be PCIe version 2 compatible. so if a manual setting is available in your BIOS for the PCIe version, try setting it to version 2 (or even try version 1) instead of "auto" or "Gen 3". Also, try disabling any PCIe power saving settings if available.

IIRC, you also posted about this issue over in the CW forum?
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wm_b ➑️
I'm having a tough time getting a compatible motherboard for a new build. I've ordered two higher end motherboards (Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt and Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH) and neither have proven to initialize my UAD-2 Quad better than 10% of the time. There is an odd behavior I've noticed where successful initialization and fully operational start-ups happen almost always when the computer is being started for the first time after a long time of being turned off. The UAD-2 card will not survive a reboot or shutdown/restart.

I went to fry's last night looking for a cheaper Z68 based board just to see if I could get a system put together that would work but they didn't have anything and an inexpensive Z77 motherboard wasn't cheap enough to take a chance on another when two others have proven not to work.

Anyone who is familiar with UAD-2 cards knows there's a bit of a "startup" routine where two LEDs on the bottom of the card illuminate and then three LED's across the top will start to flash. That means the card is ready to have the drivers loaded and the system can work. These lights start doing their thing as soon the system begins to power up. If you don't get those two lights on the bottom at power up (you only get one) the card will start flashing the status LED in 4 red flashes. The drivers will not load and the card wont show up in device manager.

I've developed lots of theories along the way but I can't really test any of it. If I know what the card needed to have happen to fully initialize then I might be able to rule some things out. The fresh startup successes and subsequent failures could be some kind of capacitance building up on the board or the card. During a long period of being off all the charge is drained and a restart is possible because some high/low bit differentiation is detectable (I don't know what I'm talking about).

If it turns out the UAD is incompatible with the Z77 chipset then it might be on the verge of extinction. That's super disappointing since I've only had it for barely 5 months.

I've spoken to UA and Asus. Neither has any answers. I've tried pretty much everything I can think of and everything they've suggested. These are all clean installations of Win7/64 (although the initialization problem shows up long before the OS is a factor). It would be nice if UA had a higher level of support than the CS reps they have. Nice guy but not really a technician of any sort.

The other parts are a 3770K, corasair vengeance ram, Corsair TX650M power supply. All the PCI-e slots work with other cards. Both motherboards exhibit the same behavior more or less.

Okay, there's my Saturday afternoon pre-rehearsal Gearslutz novel. Can't wait to read the stories of Z77 or Z68 triumph!

Cheers!
Check this thread out.

Seems a few people have had the blinking red LED problem that turned out to be faulty cards in many cases.

EDIT: I see you have already viewed that thread. I must admit that thread freaked me out when I read it. I've been a UAD user for about 9 years, and took UAD up on their upgrade offer last year. I swapped my UAD-1 for a UAD-2 solo and everything has been working fine since. But for a while, and with the recent price drop in UAD-2 cards, I've been thinking about getting another card.... anyway, last week I bought a UAD-2 quad off eBay for Β£700 (with p&p) which included Manley Massive, Struder A800, EMT 250, which I thought was a good deal. It's been nearly a week now and everything is working flawlessly but I don't mind saying I've been a little spooked.

Also, I've had my I7, ex58, 6 gig set up for coming 3 years now so intend to upgrade some time in the next year, sooooo!

I feel for those who have had this problem. It's a big cash investment and UA just leave you to your own devices.

Good luck.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddard ➑️
Well, i don't believe your older system used UEFI yet, so...

One thing you might try, if your Gigabyte or Asus Z77 board UEFI BIOS provides the option, is to select "legacy boot" or "legacy BIOS" or "PCI BIOS" instead of UEFI, which will then use an emulated legacy BIOS which may work better at configuring your UAD card, and may also enable you to adjust some settings. If there is any option to select "PCI legacy ROM", try that too.

Another thing, UAD-2 is supposed to be PCIe version 2 compatible. so if a manual setting is available in your BIOS for the PCIe version, try setting it to version 2 (or even try version 1) instead of "auto" or "Gen 3". Also, try disabling any PCIe power saving settings if available.

IIRC, you also posted about this issue over in the CW forum?
This is probably the most unique group of suggestions I've come across. I'll admit to an ignorance of exactly what the differences are between UEFI bios and a "legacy BIOS". I'll have to research this a bit. I have scoured the BIOS setup for anything pci related and haven't seen anything other than some "wake on pci" option. Currently the Gigabyte board is the one I'm setup to test so I'll give that a shot first. I have a vague memory of seeing something in the Asus BIOS that might have been about another BIOS option.

Again, with the pci versions there has been little in the settings that I recall seeing. I do remember seeing some options that had auto and Gen3 in the choices but something makes me think that it was hard drive related.

Yes, I have been seeding this issue across a few forums. I'm slowly crowd sourcing this just trying to get some meaningful bites. I have also been trying to re frame the questions to a certain degree as I've posted elsewhere. Different forums have different user engagement and I've been trying to avoid getting suggestions to reinstall the drivers and things like that. I've built quite a few systems including a couple different hackintosh projects and those were simple by comparison to this intermittent initialization problem.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Cheers!

I let UA know about this in 2008. I think it has to do with the temperature or at least that's my guess. My system is in a separate, relatively cold room all the time. Regardless, something isn't initializing at times. And I have used the UAD card in both Asus and Gigabyte mobo's.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM ➑️
I let UA know about this in 2008. I think it has to do with the temperature or at least that's my guess. My system is in a separate, relatively cold room all the time. Regardless, something isn't initializing at times. And I have used the UAD card in both Asus and Gigabyte mobo's.
I feel pretty certain that temperature isn't a factor in whether the card will initialize. In the system my new build is to replace the UAD-2 continually and consistently boots every time and it sites right next to the heat sync of my passively cooled video card. It doesn't matter if the system has been off for two days or needs to be rebooted during an intense video editing session the UAD-2 has always initialized in that system.

I think it's likely a quality control issue with the cards or an engineering defect. If it is an engineering defect it's something that is only tripped up under certain circumstances. No customer service person I have communicated with has been able to acknowledge the area where the failure takes place. The rate of communication with the motherboard companies has been glacial.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I feel pretty certain that temperature isn't a factor in whether the card will initialize. In the system my new build is to replace the UAD-2 continually and consistently boots every time and it sites right next to the heat sync of my passively cooled video card. It doesn't matter if the system has been off for two days or needs to be rebooted during an intense video editing session the UAD-2 has always initialized in that system.

I think it's likely a quality control issue with the cards or an engineering defect. If it is an engineering defect it's something that is only tripped up under certain circumstances. No customer service person I have communicated with has been able to acknowledge the area where the failure takes place. The rate of communication with the motherboard companies has been glacial.

One thing is for sure, no tech support I have been in touch with about this has been able to acknowledge the area of failure either. Whatever it is, I hope they take it more seriously. In my case, it happens less often than not and a shutdown/restart of course fixes it.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It may just be a card seating issue as that is what happened to a buddy engineer of mine with his UAD Quad card and an Asus P67 motherboard. He has to not screw down the UAD card to his case to have it start up everytime regardless of which slot he uses (his RME card is just fine fully seated). The UAD card sits up maybe 1/8" from the screwdown ledge of the case. So given that, either the case is slightly off or the UAD card connector traces are (pick whoever you want to blame). In his particular case I think it's the UAD's fault given when the card is fully seated in the motherboard socket it matches up with the case screwdown.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr ➑️
It may just be a card seating issue as that is what happened to a buddy engineer of mine with his UAD Quad card and an Asus P67 motherboard. He has to not screw down the UAD card to his case to have it start up everytime regardless of which slot he uses (his RME card is just fine fully seated). The UAD card sits up maybe 1/8" from the screwdown ledge of the case. So given that, either the case is slightly off or the UAD card connector traces are (pick whoever you want to blame). In his particular case I think it's the UAD's fault given when the card is fully seated in the motherboard socket it matches up with the case screwdown.

Interesting point, thanks for pointing that out.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
To the OP, I built an i7 / Win 7 64 / Z77 set-up a little while ago and my UAD Solo is working flawlessly (as is the whole machine), so this combo can work. The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD5H, with Corsair XMS3 RAM.

A couple of things that I've had in the past:

1. I've had intermittent power to USB ports. The only thing that seemed to cure that was ensuring the PSU connectors were absolutely pushed into their sockets.

2. As per the poster above; some PCIe cards barely sit in their sockets when screwed into the case (not sure why they're designed like that). Have you tried ensuring the card is properly seated in the slots, only lightly screwing it in to get contact with the case?

Regards,
Chris.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightBlue ➑️
To the OP, I built an i7 / Win 7 64 / Z77 set-up a little while ago and my UAD Solo is working flawlessly (as is the whole machine), so this combo can work. The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD5H, with Corsair XMS3 RAM.
Finally a Z77 user and your model doesn't include the Thunderbolt port. Is that a GA-Z77X or just a GA-Z77 without the X. All the models I'm finding have an X. I have a GA-Z77X-UP5-TH which has thunderbolt and so does the Asus Z77 board that I tried. I've tried disabling everything on the board but it still wont boot the UAD-2 card.

As a point of interest I took my card over to another studio that has a UAD-2 duo in a Gigabyte Z68 board and installed my card and it worked fine surviving shutdown and restart.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by wm_b; 22nd January 2013 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: clarity
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr ➑️
My card also fits in sort of tweaked from the bracket but I've tried seating it with and without the screw in every slot. It fits in my other case a little off too (and it still works). It's just a wonky bracket if you ask me. Other cards I've used to test to see if the slots are working seat just fine.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I just want this thread to die and go away but I continue to suffer this situation. After LightBlue reported a working UAD-2/Z77 chipset success with a Gigabyte GA77-UD5H I purchased one. After installing it the card did exactly what the others have done. It initialized on the second start and then not again. I was just testing the card with the CPU and RAM installed and a monitor connected but no HDD's. The card acted exactly as it has before in the fully built out systems.

So far the card works in every other system I've tried. It works in an Asus Maximus Formula, Asus P6T Deluxe and a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD(can't remember). I've tried three different motherboards with the same case, power supply, cpu and ram. As far as I can tell the CPU seems fine and hasn't demonstrated any defect. The RAM appears to be fine although I can't really test it much other than just installing programs and launching stuff. I have tested the system without the RAM installed and the UAD-2 still will not correctly initialize although it has initialized without the RAM installed on a totally fresh start. The power supply also is brand new and seems totally fine and from what I see in the various monitoring programs it is producing the correct voltages. This leaves the case as the last of the control set. I've tried mounting the card without the bracket installed in all number of positions from straight up and down to leaning left and right. The frequency of success remains the same (mostly none).

Tonight I'm going to try one last thing before I start to go backwards and purchase an older model motherboard. Since I tend to bundle my power supplies into the case pretty tightly I'm going to swap out a motherboard from a system where it works and see if there is possibly something up with the case or power supply. I've run out of things to try.

I am totally demoralized and spent after $650+ in motherboards and not one has worked.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Unscrew the UAD card brackret from the case. Lift the UAD card up at the bracket end 1/16" or 1/8" and try starting up the computer to see if it gets recognized. Troubleshooting involves a process of elimination with doing the simple stuff first. Buying and replacing motherboards is not a simple step.

One other thing you can try . . . Sometimes a PCI / PCIe card edge connector traces can become tarnished and not make good contact with the motherboard's slot connector. You can take a card out and carefully with a pencil eraser clean those traces so the copper goes from dull to bright.

Lastly get on the phone with UAD and get some service with them.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Sorry wm_b, just seen your reply. To clarify, you're right, it's a GA77X.

Have you resolved the problem yet? I hope so as I know what it's like to be in this position. When I did my last DAW build, it took me 3 mb's before I found one that would boot my Powercore PCIe. The first two ASUS boards I tried simply wouldn't boot the card no matter what I tried (even with advice from TC) but the equivalent Gigabyte mb I subsequently bought worked flawlessly.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm looking at slapping a UAD in my GA-z77x-ud5h, i7-3770, GT640 - running hackintosh mountain lion. Has anyone had success with this type of setup?
Old 4th March 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hmm, seems the OP's UAD-2 card was indeed faulty. See his Update/Edit#2 here:

Anyone successfully using i7 3770k LGA1155 cpu based system with UAD-2? Solved
πŸ“ Reply