16bit to 24bit sample library conversion - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
16bit to 24bit sample library conversion
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
16bit to 24bit sample library conversion

Hi

Im looking for some advice on whether or not I should convert my 16bit samples, i.e Kicks, Snares etc to 24bit after watching a tutorial from - Ian Carey In The Studio.

He states that you should always convert from 16 to 24 so that they will operate at their best when using in Plugins such as Sonnox etc... as he explained most plugins algorythms work best at 24bit?...

Can anyone confirm this as I have read many mixed views on it is a waste of time upscaling to 24bit?

If it is worth doing can you reccommend a good Mac batch bit converter to get the job done?

I use a Mac Pro running Logic Pro 9.

Many Thanks.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Waste of time, you only have 16 bits of data, the remaining bits will be empty.
Old 19th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou ➡️
Waste of time, you only have 16 bits of data, the remaining bits will be empty.
+1

but if you like you can always set up a 24 bit project in your DAW and if you import samples they will be converted.

cheers
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlez ➡️
Im looking for some advice on whether or not I should convert my 16bit samples, i.e Kicks, Snares etc to 24bit after watching a tutorial from - Ian Carey In The Studio.
You should not. It's a waste of time and space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlez ➡️
He states that you should always convert from 16 to 24 so that they will operate at their best when using in Plugins such as Sonnox etc... as he explained most plugins algorythms work best at 24bit?...
Many Thanks.
DAWs will convert the sample to 32 bit fp anyway and will work with that. You gain absolutely nothing by converting 16 bit samples to 24 bit.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Your better off sending your time finding new 24Bit Recorded samples than converting 16bit to 24bit. Its pointless, you won't hear a difference to the samples on their own or even through plug ins.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…