Quantcast
Apogee Duet 2 Speaker Output Reference setting in new firmware question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Duet 2 Speaker Output Reference setting in new firmware question
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Apogee Duet 2 Speaker Output Reference setting in new firmware question

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this was ever covered in previous post, but after some searching, could not find any trace of this answer.
I just bought an Apogee Duet 2, and when I playback audio, I noticed my volume steps when turning the knobs were abrupt changes.
Also..I noticed when I had the volume all the way down to -63, it was still not that quiet, and the next step going to -64 mutes the audio all together.
Then I noticed that there is this option of switching the speaker outputs reference standard from +4 dBu to -10dBV. When I made this switch, it brought down the audio significantly down and I felt like I had a better handle on the volume.
My question is what did I do, and is it ok to switch my output from +4 to -10. My Duet 2 is directly connected to powered monitors.

Please advise and thank you in advance.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey,

the reference level output of the Duet should be set to the level the monitors expect.
Look at the back of the the monitors. If there's nothing about the reference level, have a look at the manual.

cheers
📝 Reply