Quantcast
If I were to go software, what would I need? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If I were to go software, what would I need?
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
If I were to go software, what would I need?

Hey guys. Hardware guy here. Doing a one-man project with live loops, effects, etc. I figured hardware would be the most reliable and tactile. I like it.

Right now I'm looking for a keyboard and I'm annoyed with ho hard/expensive it is to get simple sounds that are easy as pie/cheap as free when I'm recording on my computer.

So I keep gravitating back to the idea of a softsynth setup... and then remembering why I don't. Anytime I've tried, it's been a mess of lag and a headache, especially if I want to sync it to my other midi gear.

BUT when I look at the price tags on synths and other hardware, see that software loopers in fact have some capabilities that my hardware doesn't, the large and cheap world of VSTs, and my ever-increasing pedalboard of unusual size... one has to ask.

So here's my question.

Hypothetically, what hardware and software would I need to do a computer setup to replace all of the below, sync it flawlessly, and to do it effectively/reliably, and with no noticeable lag? And what would each piece cost?

RC-50 looper
SR-16 drum machine
Motu Midi router
GT-6 guitar processor (including beat-synced tremelos, etc)
Jamman Looper (for phrase sampling)
Keyboard with arps via midi-sync

Here is an example of it in actions/what I'd need it to do (forgive the shameless self-plug, but it shows what I need):

Science Gone Wrong -- Vicious Cycle - YouTube

The annotations explain how it works.

Whenever I've tried software, the looping alone, or even just a softsynth setup for my computer with midi via USB has been a nightmare. But, again, if I'm doing it wrong, let me know. I'm not asking because I'm sure I even WANT to do it with software. But I'll sleep better at night knowing I'm making the choice that I want.

As a consolation prize, what would be the cheapest/most reliable and small setup JUST to run keyboard VST's that will reliably sync via Midi from my hardware?

Thanks for any input.
📝 Reply