Quantcast
Anyone using SSD or abbey Drums live with an electronic drum kit? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone using SSD or abbey Drums live with an electronic drum kit?
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone using SSD or abbey Drums live with an electronic drum kit?

Just wanna know i can trigger these via an electronic drum kit

Latency is my main worry, i dont want to drag my friends kit round to mine if they wont work in real time or have any audible latency

Anyone actually done this?

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yep, works fine

Foam deadened acoustic shells, mesh heads, DDrum triggers & Alesis Surge cymbals
Alesis Trigger I/O
2008 Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Duo, 4Gb Ram
Superior Drummer
Saffire Pro40

Of course, there is latency - there absolutely has to be for it to work - but it amazes me how you just can't tell! The drummer absolutely loves the feel and - get this - the 'tone'

Takes A LOT of work to get everything set up and working properly, but yeah, if you know what you're doing and put the effort it, it's quite staggering really
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover'd ➑️
Yep, works fine

Foam deadened acoustic shells, mesh heads, DDrum triggers & Alesis Surge cymbals
Alesis Trigger I/O
2008 Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz Duo, 4Gb Ram
Superior Drummer
Saffire Pro40

Of course, there is latency - there absolutely has to be for it to work - but it amazes me how you just can't tell! The drummer absolutely loves the feel and - get this - the 'tone'

Takes A LOT of work to get everything set up and working properly, but yeah, if you know what you're doing and put the effort it, it's quite staggering really
Nice one! Thanks, i know it will be effort (have to get SSD latency down via my mpc first) but didn't want to spend hours on setup only for the latency to be unusable

I have a decent spec pc, A saffire 56 and PT 10, my mate should have the triggers and IO so we're looking good

Thanks again

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Same here.
UFX/Trigger IO/SSD4
Works great at 64 samples,128 samples works well enough too.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are quite a lot of people who do this - myself included, via my Yamaha DTX900, RME UCX etc. SSD, Abbey Road, Superior Drummer, Addictive drums, Studio Drummer etc...

Latency will always be an issue, but I can keep it fairly low with my RME-interface.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Found out the kit i have to hook ip is a roland v drum so reckon it should just be latency that i have to crack

Thanks all

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Look into the Yamaha DTX stuff too. I find they were a better deal, especially if you are looking for a real hat pedal. I use them very succesfully with Addictive Drums. Next to no setup and no noticeable latency. I have a DTX700 kit. Ride is three zone. Hats are dual, but Addictive only has one zone trigger on the hats I think.

They sound super expressive, and Addictive Drums are really light weight for a drum sampler. I ran them fine on my G5 Mac Pro previously.

I currently run a Mac Mini server, UAD Apollo, Logic in 64 bit. Solid setup.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roland TD-15 module
MBP 2008 2.53gHz C2Duo, 8GB ram.
SSD Platinum

The kit shown is not a standard TD-15KV kit. It's actually a Gibraltar rack w/ the pads of a TD30k kit, but with the TD-15 brain.

Triggering SSD using Mainstage. TD-15 is USB audio device. No problems w/ 32 sample buffer, which yields 2.3ms output latency. The stereo analog and MIDI out of the TD-15 go to my DAW running PT10. In my main PT10 DAW, I do all monitoring through an analog console, so no additional latency is added.

Of course, I could be going straight into PT10 w/ the MIDI of the TD-15, but if I'm tracking drums last in a large project, I cannot always keep the sample buffer low. This way, I have a self-contained E-kit, and so can track it just like any other external hardware instrument.

What's also cool about using the TD-15 module as an audio device is that I can perform live w/ Ableton for backing tracks, syncing a click in the TD-15 and monitoring through headphones, but send the stereo outs to the FOH w/out the click.

Attachment 328595
πŸ“ Reply