Quantcast
Starting VST collection from scratch - or good workstation? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Starting VST collection from scratch - or good workstation?
Old 18th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Starting VST collection from scratch - or good workstation?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations of what VSTi's to get for someone who is starting home/project studio from scratch.

Assuming the DAW is Reaper, and have ZERO sounds already, I'd be building from nothing. I appreciate there are thousand of sounds, bundles, you name it out there but has anyone got any first hand experience of for example Vir2 VI One or Komplete 8 - which offer a good starting block if you have nothing.

The type of music will be pop/commercial but I'd like to be able to 'touch' on orchestral if needed.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Vir2 VI:One, or Komplete 8, (or both??)
Mojo Horns
Omnisphere
ProjectSAM Orchestral Essentials

Or is it easier to get a good workstation keyboard for starting?

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If you start from Zero and willing to pay (assuming you use legitimate things) cubase 7 quite match your needs.

Consider you pay once, you get:

1) a world class DAW
2) some "Swiss army knife" synth that's works well
3) bunch of loops with "loop mash"
4) pitch correction plug
5) some dance drum module
6) some useful strings patch in halion se with Yamaha S90 piano sound
7) the visual EQ and transient and comp plugs

May be you need some authentic drum samples, but, it only cost 69/99 with NI kontakt player.

It that better than you get a free reaper and spend the rest for the synth and plugs?
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd start with Komplete 8 (I have version 7). It covers considerable ground (synths, samples, drums, effects) at a reasonable price. And especially when it comes to samples, you'll get Kontakt 5, which is the industry standard sampler. Therefore if you want to expand later, especially for orchestral sounds, there are a lot of Kontakt libraries available.

I wouldn't bother with a keyboard workstation, but I would recommend getting a decent keyboard to use as a MIDI controller.
Old 18th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylai ➡️
If you start from Zero and willing to pay (assuming you use legitimate things) cubase 7 quite match your needs.

Consider you pay once, you get:
The caveat is that subsequent versions will cost whereas Reaper includes one full version ugprade with its purchase price. And then there's the copy protection with Cubase (E-licenser dongle). With Reaper, there's no instrusive copy protection.
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➡️
The caveat is that subsequent versions will cost whereas Reaper includes one full version ugprade with its purchase price. And then there's the copy protection with Cubase (E-licenser dongle). With Reaper, there's no instrusive copy protection.
I guess the objection here is to get the most suitable way to get the job done , not spending the least expense to get the job done.

And, you can always skip the upgrade if you don't like the "additional features".

I am not saying reaper is not pro or not good or cheap daw, however, I'm just mentioning the included synth , loops, samples in cubase are quite useful in the "pop commercial with a touch of orchestral" situation. The just fit in well in the mix even with little mixing.

Of cause you can have a trillian + omnishpere + moog v + massive + bfd + kontakt 5 bunch of stuff, if you want to deal with different copy protection, different registration with different upgrade in the future capability issues.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Komplete 8 will give you more than you'll ever use.
Lot's of 3rd party libraries available for kontakt.

Mojo Horns, and VI One are libraries for Kontakt
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Ableton Live Suite, or maybe Logic 9 have big libraries.

Ableton Suite 9 will come with pretty big orchestral library, as well as many presets ofr it's synths.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
With everything you mentioned I think Komplete 8 is the way to go. it offers almost everything you should need to get started. The only thing that its missing which depending on the person could be important or not very important is a drum synth. I like having a dedicated drum synth personally and I chose Tremor by FXpansion.
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks everyone for the advice, I think Komplete 8 is certainly looking like the front runner as a starting block.

I have no issues with Cubase or Logic however for me Reaper seems to sit comfortably with the way I work / think. Some would disagree but I quite like it's workflow and the DAW on the whole is very customisable. So coupled with Kontakt 5 (bundled in Komplete) I think I'd put myself in good position to easily upgrade with other libraries - as mentioned above.

Reaper, good midi keyboard controller, Komplete 8, iZotope Ozone 5.

Thanks again!
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'd recommend HalionSonic over Komplete as a do-it-all.

Komplete is good but there's a lot of bloat.
📝 Reply