The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alyseum AL-22/AL-88 Copperlan midi anyone??
Old 25th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Alyseum AL-22/AL-88 Copperlan midi anyone??

Hi chaps,

So. Who is using these interfaces for midi and what can you tell the rest of us about their performance? Does them using Ethernet/Copperlan negate jitter, or is it just a fancy way of getting the jittery DAW midi out and about?

If it is a jitter free way of getting midi from DAW to hardware, who has tested it? Stories, impressions, anything.......hit me folks.
Old 26th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Alyseum - More than technology

I'm researching the MS-812 Eurorack module.
Hopefully will be able to demo one locally in a few weeks.
Old 27th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
What, no one? No one is using these things...or at least knows something about them?
Old 27th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'm using CopperLan in my studio and loving it. Between mac&pc computers and controllers + MS-812 in my modular.

it's wonderful! so flexible and no more midi-cable hassles. Couldn't recommend more.
Install the software and try out for free.

Check out my videos on youtube and also the ones made by CopperLans Philippe Cailleau. Don't be afraid to ask the CopperLan guys, their support is fantastic.
Old 30th October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Not a single person with experience using an AL-22 or AL-88????
Old 30th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Not a single person with experience using an AL-22 or AL-88????
Try the copperlan forum.
Old 30th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJ ➑️
Try the copperlan forum.
Just did. Very little on there, and no one talking about their experiences using the AL interfaces for midi duty and what timing precision they are capable of. Which is what is of interest to me......
Old 31st October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi,

I just found your message. People liking a product are less active than people having issues on the forums... so it's finally a good news if you don't find anybody talking about the Alyseum AL-* products

Did you contact Alyseum? Perhaps they got some direct feedback...

I'm sorry, I can't give you advanced timing measurement information. However, I can invite you to take a look at my July 12, 2011 post on the CopperLan Facebook page: CopperLan | Facebook

Here is an abstract:

Quote:
... About the test above, the hardware 8 MIDI box is handling 288 connections (16 virtual MIDI cables x 18 connections) filling the whole MIDI bandwith simultaneously on each port... test performed on a corporate network (some traffic next to CopperLan) through 3 cascaded Ethernet switches. I leave it to Alyseum to present the results, but they are very impressive!
The AL-* products performance is amazing, latency and jitter are very low (far less than 1 millisecond), absolutely inaudible even on a loaded/polluted network (we did our tests on a corporate network, used for internet surfing, streaming, ...)

/Phil (from the CopperLan team )
Old 31st October 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Thanks Phil!!

That does sound impressive! Although until I see something like screen pics off midi parts recorded back into audio and how close to the grid they fall I will remain to be convinced....

I am mailing with Willi at Alyseum for such tests. Maybe I'll end up offering to do one myself.....

Thank you for the info though!!! This is getting interesting.
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any further developments?
Old 15th March 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Planning to put an AleX in the back of my MPC4000, but still waiting for BLA to get it back to me........so, no. Anyone else?
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
How is coperlan with audio streaming ??
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
*bump* anyone got an alyseum yet then?
surely someone has bought one and done some jitter tests with it .

@karloff - where are you upto with your jitter-elimination / mpc4000 quest?
Old 10th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk ➑️
*bump* anyone got an alyseum yet then?
surely someone has bought one and done some jitter tests with it .

@karloff - where are you upto with your jitter-elimination / mpc4000 quest?
Looking to get a tech man to put an Alex into the MPC4000 when he comes round to sort out my DSS-1, which has issues. Not sure at this point when it is going to be though. He's up north and only comes London way now and again. Could be a few weeks.
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok, I got an Alyseum AL-88.

I recorded 16th note rim shots from a DR-660 at 120BPM into Cubase. If I understand what I am doing, I believe the jitter is <2ms. Measuring the distance between hits in Wavelab, it was consistently between 124ms and 126ms.

I hope that's a valid way of testing jitter. I tried following the Innerclock Systems method here:

Innerclock Systems - Precision Midi Clock Din Sync and Tempo Synchronisation Solutions

Wavelab 3.0 doesn't appear to display "samples" between hits, so the best I could do was ms.

Regardless of science, it's a real easy piece of kit to setup, it arrived to me in California from Europe in like 2 days and it feels tight as hell. I'll restrain myself from chucking my Midisport 8x8s in the garbage.
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not so fast. Notes are piling up on one another when looping.

CopperLan &bull; View topic - Notes Piling Up in Cubase
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
interesting. ill be following this closely!

for what it's worth, i've been thrown right back into the midi debate after trying to get my new acidlab miami to perfectly sync with my tr-909. at the moment they're anywhere between 6ms and 15ms out. doesn't exactly sound brilliant.

probably a combination of sequencer start lag, jitter and ableton being crap.
Old 14th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by initself ➑️
Not so fast. Notes are piling up on one another when looping.[/url]
This fixed it.

Code:
Edit >> Preferences >> MIDI >> 'Reset' Tab >> Turn off 'Send Reset-Data on Stop'
However, I am worried that will create other problems like stuck notes.

Additionally, I did a fast wheel rotation on my controller and it seemed to also cause a lot of stuck notes and traffic over the wire that seized up my sequence. I am going to post that issue to the same topic and see what they tell me.

Seems like the bandwidth should be enough for a simple wheel rotation.
Old 14th May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've been using the software only for several months now in the studio. I have normal USB interfaces. Using fast control data etc without issue.
Old 14th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've heard that using 1 or more ALex on your keys and controllers etc..., then connect to a switch is the way to go.
Old 14th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam ➑️
I've been using the software only for several months now in the studio. I have normal USB interfaces. Using fast control data etc without issue.
i didn't realise you can use copperlan over usb.
how's the performance / jitter?

unless the copperlan driver/wrapper can give a usb device a greater priority for traffic then i imagine it's probably worse than just plain usb?
Old 14th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
bump
Old 15th May 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Any more accounts of the AL-22/88 interfaces in action? Maybe even with a Mac? Tight midi to sequence hardware with?
Old 16th May 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I keep asking, but I don't know anyone personally using Alyseum.
It's too expensive for me to take a punt on.
I'm using an ES4 for midi notes (which is OK, not perfect), and Innerclock IILS for clocking/sync (which is perfect).
I keep asking.... begging.... David to build a midi module to the same quality as his clock/sync modules. No news as yet.
Old 16th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
I keep asking, but I don't know anyone personally using Alyseum.
It's too expensive for me to take a punt on.
I'm using an ES4 for midi notes (which is OK, not perfect), and Innerclock IILS for clocking/sync (which is perfect).
I keep asking.... begging.... David to build a midi module to the same quality as his clock/sync modules. No news as yet.
Hmmmm. I will likely take a punt on an Alyseum AL-22 in the next few weeks. I just wish they had similar tests on their site as Innerclock do. I have told Willi at Alyseum that he would sell untold amounts of these things if there were tests on there showing them to be tight as a small rodent and even offered to do some if he sent me one (that I could send back if is isn't tight), but no cigar. So all that remains is to buy one on hope. If it makes DAW and Hardware feel Atari/Notator-tight I would be very happy. Should do, really......
Old 16th May 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Maybe there are no tests results because it isn't as tight as a rodent's......?
Old 16th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
Maybe there are no tests results because it isn't as tight as a rodent's......?
Well, if it is and I was Willi I know I would put them up there and watch the sales go nuts........so maybe you are right......if only Innerclock would do one. Then the focus would be on the timing as opposed to general interconnectivity.
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I promise I'll do a more thorough test when I learn more about the proper testing method.

I was experiencing all kinds of wonky stuff with these units on Windows XP which seemed to be the result of limitations with MIDI in the OS, per Phil in the CopperLan forums. Upgrading to Windows 7, everything works exactly as you'd expect it to. There are odd routing things you have to do if say you are using VMidi 1 with Port 1 on the AL-88 and you want to use the same ports in SoundDiver or MIDIOX. Some kind of config with virtual MIDI ports. That's been the only strange part so far.

I find the MIDI to be tight and reliable so far. I'll continue to update the thread, but so far I'm recommending these.

I am still entering my notes via RME Digiface on an ExpressCard, so my feedback is only regarding playback, so far.

Sent from my Droid
Old 11th June 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Right, I have ordered an AL-22. Let's see what this thing can do for tight groove.
Old 18th June 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Ok, futzing around with the wee thing now. It's bloody tiny.

At the moment I am still getting random note on and offs spewing out of it, so not sweet yet. Waiting for assistance from Alyseum and then hopefully we'll find out what this lil pup can do for timing.
πŸ“ Reply