Quantcast
RME FF800/digicheck routing - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME FF800/digicheck routing
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
RME FF800/digicheck routing

I'm trying to get RME's digicheck to work with FF800.
Can't seem to make it happy. Latest firmware and driver for my OS, 10.6.8.
I've got the spdif (11/12) successfully routing to an ob DK meter and it reads from iTunes or PT with no problems.

any help to share?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
which particular Digicheck piece? It is a suite of audio tools.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
routing to it, no particular part, any part.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Can you give a bit more info on the nature of your issue? What in the routing is not working?

I'm currently at work but will look in to this anyway in the evening when I get back to my own FF800.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I have routing to and from the hardware , no problem.
But I can't get the software to see input.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Ok, so I'm testing this on my system and I'm getting DIGICheck to work with the analog inputs of FF800 ok. Now my only external S/Pdif device is a piece of **** Line6 Pod X3 that really doesn't play ball, so I wasn't able to test the digital input on that. The ADAT is working just fine though.

Sorry for not being able to help.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Use loopback feature to send your audio back to software input. Otherwise Digicheck meters cannot process audio.

You can also do this at the hardware level by connecting a cable from output to desired input, but I think loopback feature is a better option.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
"Use loopback feature to send your audio back to software input. Otherwise Digicheck meters cannot process audio."

Perhaps you could post a snap of your Matrix and/or Mixer window?
I can't figure this out, must be something I'm doing wrong.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropical ➑️
Perhaps you could post a snap of your Matrix and/or Mixer window?
I can't figure this out, must be something I'm doing wrong.
The Matrix and the Mixer are a part of TotalMix.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm not able to post a screenshot without hosting it somewhere, which isn't handy for me at the moment. But I can describe my setup which is pretty simple.

I have Digicheck display whatever is going to my main output (outputs 1+2 on my UFX). I use ADAT outputs 1+2 for Digicheck; in the mixer view, those outputs are linked as a stereo pair and Loopback is turned ON under settings (click on the small wrench). The mix going to ADAT 1+2 is a copy of the mix going to the main outputs. You can do this by using the "copy submix" operation in the mixer view, right-clicking on the main output, and pasting it to ADAT 1+2.

Now configure Digicheck to take input from ADAT 1+2 -- the input pair corresponding to ADAT 1+2 output. That's done under the Audio Device Setup menu in Digicheck. You might need to restart Digicheck to get it to wake up once you recongfigure the inputs.

hth,

-synthoid
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
K, I guess digicheck differs on different I/O or Windows compared to OSX, as I don't see the wrench or copy submix with a right click.
But I did stumble on a set-up. The manual part 29.3 seems a little different form what I'm experiencing.

I routed my main mix out (sides of Matrix) Out 1/2 to HW outs (top and bottom of Matrix) to 1/2, 3/4 (aux speakers), PH L/R, SP L/R.
Then I did a loopback (Orange) to SP L/R in the Mixer.
Playback Out 1/2 faders are at 0.
That all works. The only weird thing is the meter sees notice when pb is stopped for 15 secs or so. Is that normal of digicheck.?
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That all works. The only weird thing is the meter sees notice when pb is stopped for 15 secs or so. Is that normal of digicheck.?
Not sure if this is what you mean, but Digicheck will report even a very low level of noise coming off any converters that are routed into it. If there are no input channels routed to it in Totalmix, and no live inputs in your DAW feeding the main output (even with pb stopped), then in mine the meters fall all the way to UFL (underflow).

-synthoid
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
here's my routing

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8171/8...4f628fd5_b.jpg

is there anything wrong?
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What's that gearslutz stuff doing in your mixer!? oh wait.

It looks right to me. Digicheck is configured to listen on inputs 11+12, yes? If you see noise in Digicheck in that situation, it might be that something in your computer (DAW or something else) is sending some stuff out that you aren't aware of. Might be a live input (input with input monitoring turned on), or else (just guessing) some kind of plug that is putting out a low level of noise, something like that. Otherwise I don't know why you'd see anything with the transport stopped.

-synthoid
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I thought perhaps system noise as I had audiomidi config'd on the Mac to output system sounds to the RME as well.
But I changed that and dc still sees noise on when I stop (after a few secs.)
Though it is way down, -75. No big deal I guess.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
something is sending it some noise, almost certainly. I've used it with a bunch of RME interfaces, and they all go down to -inf with nothing routed to DC.

Try setting DC to take from an input with nothing routed to it in TotalMix. All clear columns in TM. That will let you know if it's coming through the main playback channels.

-synthoid
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
that drops in down to <-113 from 4k to 20k and 25hz.
I thought perhaps it was my power amp kicking back for some reason. But that ain't it.
I changed the input for DC to 1/2 so that the ob DK meter, which is currently off and plugged to SP L/R, was out of the loop. No change. Weird.

Guess it's the ProTools engine. When I pull the master down to 0, DC is quiet.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Guess it's the ProTools engine. When I pull the master down to 0, DC is quiet.
There you go.

-synthoid
Old 2nd July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid ➑️
I'm not able to post a screenshot without hosting it somewhere, which isn't handy for me at the moment. But I can describe my setup which is pretty simple.

I have Digicheck display whatever is going to my main output (outputs 1+2 on my UFX). I use ADAT outputs 1+2 for Digicheck; in the mixer view, those outputs are linked as a stereo pair and Loopback is turned ON under settings (click on the small wrench). The mix going to ADAT 1+2 is a copy of the mix going to the main outputs. You can do this by using the "copy submix" operation in the mixer view, right-clicking on the main output, and pasting it to ADAT 1+2.

Now configure Digicheck to take input from ADAT 1+2 -- the input pair corresponding to ADAT 1+2 output. That's done under the Audio Device Setup menu in Digicheck. You might need to restart Digicheck to get it to wake up once you recongfigure the inputs.

hth,

-synthoid

Not to drag up an old thread but I've been trying to make Digicheck analyze my output since I got my Babyface almost a year ago. This is the only thing that has worked so far THANK YOU SO MUCH
Old 2nd July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That Digicheck cannot directly monitor outputs on OS X without doing a (digital) loop-back is a restriction of how OS X audio works. With Windows ASIO drivers you don't need the loop-back.
Old 14th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid ➑️

hth,

-synthoid
Thanks! Working now...
πŸ“ Reply