Quantcast
Simple AES/EBU audio interface? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Simple AES/EBU audio interface?
Old 25th September 2012
Simple AES/EBU audio interface?

I'm looking for a simple USB audio interface with AES/EBU audio output to interface a laptop with Genelec 8260As.

Is there such a thing on the market? Is there an alternative way to send a digital signal to monitors with AES/EBU input? Is there an easy way to convert S/PDIF to AES/EBU?

What about the volume control while sending the signal digitally? I don't want the speakers blowing the windows out.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You might check with various manufacturers (including Genelec) about using SP/DIF instead of AES/EBU. There is a level difference and a few minor bit differences. Back in the 90s we would use them interchangeably and hope the level difference didn't hurt anything. I never damaged any of my gear.... but times have changed. AES is about 5 volts, SP/DIF about a half volt (though the spec for each has a broader range than that. 3 to 10 with AES, .5 to 1 with SP/DIF) May not make a difference.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Buy an M-Audio transit - $50.00 the get a HOSA Lightpipe S/PDIF to AES convertor $80.00 Total cost $130.00 for 2 in and 2 out AES/EBU
USe BX Control Plug-in as your monitor controller
If you are using a MAc you already have a built in Digital I/O with a S/PDIF optical cable
Old 26th September 2012
Genelec informed that 8260A accepts both AES/EBU and S/PDIF signals. So all that would be needed is a cheap interface with coaxial S/PDIF and a cable with XLR on the other end and S/PDIF plug (RCA?) on the other end.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku ➑️
Genelec informed that 8260A accepts both AES/EBU and S/PDIF signals. So all that would be needed is a cheap interface with coaxial S/PDIF and a cable with XLR on the other end and S/PDIF plug (RCA?) on the other end.
So just to make sure you are on the right page, this is a copper coax connector, not one of the Toslink optical connectors.
Old 26th September 2012
coaxial = electricity = copper
πŸ“ Reply