Quantcast
Computer in a closet (overheating issues?) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Computer in a closet (overheating issues?)
Old 24th September 2012
Computer in a closet (overheating issues?)

I'm contemplating running some 30ft cable runs to move my computer into a closet to reduce the overall noise floor of my studio that is being caused by my computers fans/hard drives spinning.

The closet is approximately 5ft in width, 2.5ft in depth and 9ft in height. The computer is an Apple G5, although I plan to get a Mac Pro by next summer.

My main concern is potential overheating issues. The closet itself does not have air conditioning or any sort of ventilation but it's located in a room that does have central AC. The doors of the closet are not completely air tight. They have about a 1 inch gap at the bottom which I plan to leave as is. So I suppose this will allow some amount of air flow but not much.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has put their computer in an unventilated closet of a similar size before. Experience any overheating issues? No issues at all?

Thanks.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric ➑️
I'm contemplating running some 30ft cable runs to move my computer into a closet to reduce the overall noise floor of my studio that is being caused by my computers fans/hard drives spinning.

The closet is approximately 5ft in width, 2.5ft in depth and 9ft in height. The computer is an Apple G5, although I plan to get a Mac Pro by next summer.

My main concern is potential overheating issues. The closet itself does not have air conditioning or any sort of ventilation but it's located in a room that does have central AC. The doors of the closet are not completely air tight. They have about a 1 inch gap at the bottom which I plan to leave as is. So I suppose this will allow some amount of air flow but not much.

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has put their computer in an unventilated closet of a similar size before. Experience any overheating issues? No issues at all?

Thanks.
I learned the hard way that computers are much happier to run at high temperatures than are disk drives. I would not recommend putting a computer in anything less than a well-ventilated space. And always ensure you have good backups on drives that are not in that room.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In house construction it's typical to have ajoining rooms with closets on a shared wall. Does the next room over have a closet next to the one in your room or share a wall with the room you are in? If yes poke a hole thru the wall to run the cables thru the wall and have your computer setup in that other room in that closet. When you need to run it just open up that closet's door and shut the room's door. Cut the noise but plenty of cool room air available. When not in use it's already in a closet out of the way.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wouldn't recommend a closet unless you vented into the drywall and up into the attic (or to the outside). You'll fry your hard drives, burn out your graphics card fan in no time and risk losing your CPU.
Old 24th September 2012
More cowbell!

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I did this and it overheated so I bought a few feet of dryer vent hose, the silver stuff that is about 6 inches diameter and accordians, it is very cheap, and hooked it to the vent and through my wall or ceiling. I had to cut a hole to the garage one place and the attic.at an apartment, but it works well, and i just use one of those new stick on patches to cover the hole when i move. Problem solved

Sent from my MB855
Old 24th September 2012
Thanks for the input so far. I was afraid this might be the case. Perhaps a computer ISO box is the way to go for my situation.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Solve the problem at the source.

*Get a fanless power supply.

*Get a passive heatsink for the cpu.

*Now you can run open case if you need to.

*Next time you buy hard drives, buy ones that are virtually silent.

Oh, you have a mac. I guess you're stuck with what they give you.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…