Quantcast
Maschine vs Maschine Mikro (Mk I) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Maschine vs Maschine Mikro (Mk I)
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Maschine vs Maschine Mikro (Mk I)

This has been done to death since the first ones came out, but now there's a slight twist - the prices are dropped!

From what I can see, realistically there is no NEED (for me anyway) to look at the new MKIIs with the colors and accessories. Once I had a big Maschine, but I sold it after a while to do something else. Since then, I'm realizing that it was really a useful tool.

For a while I was using just Reason, but then the Maschine gave me a cheap way to get Komplete, so I got that, then Logic. Been hunting for keys, ended up with an MPK61 and now with Logic, K8U and MPK61 I have not made anything worthwhile at all. The combination of this workflow just isn't allowing my brain to do what it wants, I suppose (though I'm loving Logic for tracking when I do songwriting stuff with guitars, vocals, etc).

SO I decided to return the MPK61 for now (it's still less than a month) and get a Maschine since they're so cheap - I saw Amazon has the big one for 389 and the mikro for 200.

That's the thing now. Before it was not THAT much cheaper. Now, it's HALF the price, which is attractive to say the least... With that, I could get an APC to get me some faders (like the MPK faders which I like a lot...)

The big one is the same price I paid for the MPK61 so I'd be without keys for a minute (I have a bit more cash, but not enough for a digital piano like I was looking at, or anything, so it would have to be an Oxygen I think, which is a shame...)

Bottom line - from those that have used/owned both, in your opinion, if I buy a Maschine Mikro (for $200...) would I really be cutting off my nose?

Whatever I get I will PROBABLY use Maschine Standalone and bounce to Logic for mixing. I do electronica (house, techno, trance, other loops, not hip-hop, if that makes an inch of difference in any way... I wouldn't think so, but I like the step sequencer I think I miss that quite a lot, not sure if the Mikro step is any different...)

SO. Fire away! And thanks for keeping my habit going! I don't always buy new gear, but when I do, I spend all of my money on it. Sincerely, the most interesting man in the world - stay thirsty, my friends...
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
i have a mikro mk1 - and preordered the big maschine mk2... I'm really looking forward to it..

the reason i am replying is because the #1 problem for me with the mikro, is not being able to use knobs for automation -

do u just do straight up dry beats only in maschine?
or are you doing some stuff from within maschine as you're creating? if you were doing just straight dry drums, you can go with a mk1 mikro; but having working knobs is great for the creative process...automating by knob turning is awesome...

mk1 maschine's automating makes it worth having over the new or old mikro in my opinion...
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Thanks for that, I thought that was being implemented somehow - Hey, though, if I also am going to use a keyboard that has knobs, can I use other knobs/faders with a mikro to automate those parameters in standalone Maschine mode? (either 5Pin MIDI connected or preferably USB, since I'm not sure how nicely a keyboard will run through the maschine consistently for Logic and other DAWs...)

Also, realizing that I'm not super keen on the MPK, I've now returned keyboards from Alesis, Novation (impulse AND SL MKII), M-Audio (oxygen), and now Akai (and an mpk mini before) and I thought that was it for the controllers that are easily found in the US (I don't plan on touching a behringer... I know some of their outboard gear must be ok enough, but really, if I'm this picky....)

Anyone have any real opinions on the Roland/Cakewalk controllers? I'm looking at the A800Pro but I could be talked down to a 49 if it was cost effective (amazon has the 800 for 399 and the 500pro I can find for 350...)

Lots of questions, I know - super thanks are in order to any and all who help in any way!!!! I just want to get back to making music and stop fighting with my gear!!!!!!!
๐Ÿ“ Reply