Quantcast
Are OWC DataDoubler alternatives not as good? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are OWC DataDoubler alternatives not as good?
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are OWC DataDoubler alternatives not as good?

I was browsing around to see if there are other options besides the OWC Data Doubler and found this, which seems to be one of the cheapest in price but with good reviews for working with a MBP unibody:

Amazon.com: Hard Drive Caddy Tray for Apple Unibody MacBook / MacBook Pro 13 15 17 SuperDrive (Replacement Only): Computers & Accessories

I've heard the Optibay isn't as solid as the metal OWC Data Doubler. I'm wondering if these other 'alternatives' (which there are a few listed on the link) to the DD are going to run as fast and do as good a job. I'm interested to hear from those with experience (or having done research) on the alternatives to the OWC DD and the DD itself.

I'm about to swap out my optical drive and do this. If I can get a kit like this for much cheaper and it do the job just as good, it seems like a no brainer to go with this alternative.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Seems like they work fine but read the reviews. I ordered the same model from Amazon but a friend sent me his unused MCE Optibay unit instead OptiBay and I ended up sending this Amazon unit back. Looks like it would have been completely OK - the reviews in some cases state there are some small issues. I think the biggest concern will be the quality of the data connector. I'd say try it, if it doesn't work order the OCW or MCE caddys instead. What do you have to lose? It's 1/3rd the price of the others.

Oh and make sure you get an external enclosure for your Superdrive!
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➑️
I think the biggest concern will be the quality of the data connector.

Oh and make sure you get an external enclosure for your Superdrive!
I'm wondering if all these caddies allow the same transfer rates. I think that is my biggest concern.

They all seem to work and do the job. I've heard that even on the OWC caddy people tightening them too tight and the metal cracking. And the MCE are just plastic I think. This one I linked to in the first post seems to be made of thin sheet metal and I've heard that you should tighten just enough to secure it, but not hard because it can bend the sheet metal.

But I will get a superdrive external enclosure. I'm thinking about OWC's slim. Pretty cheap and if it works, that's all I need.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The MCE is metal, at least the one I got. The one from Amazon is metal...they both seemed to be of the same grade. You don't want to overtighten any of these things because the screws are small and easily stripped. Just reasonably snug on the tightening should do it. Unless you are going offroading with your computer, reasonably snug will accomplish what you need.

Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Do you know if these caddies have different transfer rates or are they all standardized?
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I have the OWC data doubler installed in my 2012 Macbook Pro. I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Unknown on transfer rates. My understanding is the 2012 MBPs are SATA III @ the optical connection. Whether that's true or not I don't know. Anyone?
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think I read that the MBP 2012 model is SATA III for the optical bay. I can't find any info, however, whether or not these caddies have different transfer rates or if they just automatically transfer as fast as the computer can send. Maybe making my question irrelevant?... At the very least, the caddies should specify what rates can be reached. Do the transfer rates suck considering it's an optical bay port?

I just had the chance to pick up a used OWC Data Doubler, but I still don't think it's worth it over the link in my first post, which is a 1/4 of the cost. Unless the speeds or quality is noticeably different, which I still haven't read anything regarding if it is.
Old 28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the link. Yeah I think this is the best option. Looks like it's pretty solid and not much difference from the OWC. Still no word on the transfer rates, but it is indeed cheap enough to try out. But I'm pretty sure that this will be a permanent fixture in my Macbook.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…