DAW for $3000 budget
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
DAW for $3000 budget

Contest: Create the 'best' post-production DAW with a $3000 budget

Prizes: $15 Amazon E-card Gift

Here are the specifics...

I've already got all of the tracks laid down on my Fostex D1624 (one of the first generation HD recorders). It's got 16 unbalanced RCA outs as well as two ADAT outs (1-8, 9-16).

A laptop needs to be included in the budget. I plan to mix with my Grado headphones (VERY used to their idiosyncrasies). But I also plan to bounce to mixes, burn them, and review them on my roommate's M-Audio EX66s.

So, it looks like I'll need:
- Laptop (don't have a preference as far as PC or Mac)
- Audio editing software (I've got a lot of experience with DP but I am open to other platforms)
- Plug-in bundles
- A/D interface?
- Anything else that might prove handy and work into the budget

I have the feeling that I haven't provided enough information. But I wanted to leave it wide-open so as to permit a diversity of ideas!

I am totally serious about the Amazon gift card! This is really important to me and I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomoreno ➑️

I've already got all of the tracks laid down on my Fostex D1624 (one of the first generation HD recorders). It's got 16 unbalanced RCA outs as well as two ADAT outs (1-8, 9-16).

A laptop needs to be included in the budget. I plan to mix with my Grado headphones (VERY used to their idiosyncrasies). But I also plan to bounce to mixes, burn them, and review them on my roommate's M-Audio EX66s.

- Audio editing software (I've got a lot of experience with DP but I am open to other platforms)
- Plug-in bundles
- A/D interface?

I have the feeling that I haven't provided enough information. But I wanted to leave it wide-open so as to permit a diversity of ideas!

I am totally serious about the Amazon gift card! This is really important to me and I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!
used mac book pro and apollo..done
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The Apollo, eh? I am looking into that now! Thank you
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
HP Elitebook + RME UFX.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Since you've got all the stems in your Fostex already, can you copy them as .wav files to a computer?

If the answer is yes, then what you need is a decent-spec'ed laptop PC (or Mac), and a D/A converter like Benchmark DAC USB (or interface like RME Babyface) to monitor with your headphone. Benchmark may be too expensive to stay within $3000, so laptop ~$1200 + Babyface $800 would be the best.

As a mixing/mastering tool, I recommend Fabfilter plug-in bundle which comes with compressor, limiter, ane EQ (C, L, and Q). It's close to $500, but worth it.

Then for audio editing software, Reaper ($60) will give you all the necessary tools.

If you can't transfer the stems from Foxtex to computer, then you would need a 16ch ADC (interface) that allows you import 16ch tracks 'in sync', and RME UFX is probalby the best because you can use USB connection to do that without hassles. But it's around $2000. If it needs to be laptop, then your choice is limited. M-Audio Profire 2626 and Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 have two ADAT ports and much cheaper than UFX, but you need to figure out FW interface with your laptop, and that could be PITA.

So, it's really up to how you can transfer your stems from Fostex.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki ➑️
Since you've got all the stems in your Fostex already, can you copy them as .wav files to a computer?

If the answer is yes, then what you need is a decent-spec'ed laptop PC (or Mac), and a D/A converter like Benchmark DAC USB (or interface like RME Babyface) to monitor with your headphone. Benchmark may be too expensive to stay within $3000, so laptop ~$1200 + Babyface $800 would be the best.

As a mixing/mastering tool, I recommend Fabfilter plug-in bundle which comes with compressor, limiter, ane EQ (C, L, and Q). It's close to $500, but worth it.

Then for audio editing software, Reaper ($60) will give you all the necessary tools.

If you can't transfer the stems from Foxtex to computer, then you would need a 16ch ADC (interface) that allows you import 16ch tracks 'in sync', and RME UFX is probalby the best because you can use USB connection to do that without hassles. But it's around $2000. If it needs to be laptop, then your choice is limited. M-Audio Profire 2626 and Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 have two ADAT ports and much cheaper than UFX, but you need to figure out FW interface with your laptop, and that could be PITA.

So, it's really up to how you can transfer your stems from Fostex.
No, the only outs I have on the Fostex are 16 RCA outs and two ADAT outs.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to get an interface that will work WITH the Fostex but will also replace it. So, an interface with ADAT ins, as well as at least 8 analog ins so that I can track drums, but also with Firewire outs.

With that in mind, I've come up with two packages:

Package #1
- Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
- UAD Satellite Duo (includes Analog classics plugin bundle)
- Digital Performer

$1350 (after expected discounts from Sweetwater)

Pros: Way cheaper so I could get a better laptop and more plugins

Package #2:
- UAD Apollo Duo (includes Analog classics plugin bundle)
- Digital Performer

$2300

Pros: track with plugins in real-time, Thunderbolt upgrade

I would LOVE to hear everyone's opinion on which package I should go with.

Thanks!
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Samplitude Pro-X Suites is the best value DAW available, because of all the pro plugs it gives you. Allocate 1K to that and put the rest into converters.
Old 29th September 2012
Deleted User
+1 for the Fabfilter plug-ins.
PSP are very good too.
Old 30th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
So far, I've got two votes for Fabfilter, one for Samplitude, one for PSP.

I'm also reading about bundles from MCDSP and Waves (both Studio classics and SSL 4000)...
Old 1st October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Here is what I would get:

Pro Fire 2626. 16 ADAT ins plus 8 good pre amps for recording drums. Get it here for under $400: Search results for: 'profire 2626'

Slate digital plugins. Get them all. They are on sale right now and stupid cheap... Slate Digital - Home Page

Pro Tools 10, great stock plugs. Avid Pro Tools 10 Software - Shop Now!

13" macbook pro. Still under $3,000. Get an external firewire drive and you are set...

PS... If you go with Reaper, you could use the cash to step up to a 15" mac.

Last edited by matocaster1202; 1st October 2012 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention reaper option...
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Mixing on Grados... Dangerous

My answer won't be detailed enough to win the prize but I would go with a Focusrite interface (Pro 24, 40, 56 depending on your I/O requirements) and Reaper or Cubase (PT is a ripoff IMO). Focusrites sound consistently better than their M-Audio competition at the same price ranges from my experience. At this point you have enough money to buy any laptop you want which is the first thing that will limit you/become obsolete if you cheap out on it.

I have no idea what type of plugins you're looking for so I can't answer that, although the Focusrite includes its own basic plugin suite.

Try the AKG 702s also. I used to have Grados.. Never going back. AKG has that old school mid range without the shrieking harshness.
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matocaster1202 ➑️
Here is what I would get:

Pro Fire 2626. 16 ADAT ins plus 8 good pre amps for recording drums. Get it here for under $400: Search results for: 'profire 2626'

Slate digital plugins. Get them all. They are on sale right now and stupid cheap... Slate Digital - Home Page

Pro Tools 10, great stock plugs. Avid Pro Tools 10 Software - Shop Now!

13" macbook pro. Still under $3,000. Get an external firewire drive and you are set...

PS... If you go with Reaper, you could use the cash to step up to a 15" mac.
Thanks for your suggestions! This is the first I've heard of Slate plugins. I'll need to look into them.

The only DAW I've ever used was DP so I've really nothing to compare it to but it seemed to be able to do everything that I needed it to do. For some reason, I've never considered Pro Tools.

The more I look into Reaper, the more I like what I see. Plus, it's only $60 so if I didn't like it in the end, I could still go with a bigger name. But the possibility of it fulfilling my needs is worth the $60, in my opinion.

Never even considered M-Audio. I have to admit, in all of the reading I've done, it's never come up. In the $500 price range, the debate seems to between Focusrite v. MOTU for the most part.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy ➑️
Mixing on Grados... Dangerous

My answer won't be detailed enough to win the prize but I would go with a Focusrite interface (Pro 24, 40, 56 depending on your I/O requirements) and Reaper or Cubase (PT is a ripoff IMO). Focusrites sound consistently better than their M-Audio competition at the same price ranges from my experience. At this point you have enough money to buy any laptop you want which is the first thing that will limit you/become obsolete if you cheap out on it.

I have no idea what type of plugins you're looking for so I can't answer that, although the Focusrite includes its own basic plugin suite.

Try the AKG 702s also. I used to have Grados.. Never going back. AKG has that old school mid range without the shrieking harshness.
As far as plugins, I have never really experimented. For my two solo albums, the mixing engineer seemed to have every plugin suite ever made. Give or take, it was about $10,000 worth of plugins. I only say that because I noticed despite all of the options, he almost always went with his UAD plugins. Thus, when I would take over a mix, those were the ones I relied upon. I'd like to experiment more but those are what I know and they seemed to get the job done. In general, I am interested in mixing organic music, no samples, very little editing, a la pop-rock (although that label seems archaic now). If that helps with the plugin suggestions.

I'm not sure I've read a bad review for Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. People seem very, very pleased with it. And it meets my needs. Transparent pres, ADAT in, 8 analog ins, Firewire outs.

Yeah, I know mixing strictly with headphones is not at all ideal. If I were to go with a $500 range interface, and Reaper, I could certainly afford some decent monitors as well. Not the case if I went with the Apollo. But the ability to track with compression in real-time is undeniably appealing.

I love my Grados, man. What you call harshness, I call...shine.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The more I look into Reaper, the more I like what I see. Plus, it's only $60 so if I didn't like it in the end, I could still go with a bigger name. But the possibility of it fulfilling my needs is worth the $60, in my opinion.

Daw: Samplitude Pro-X Suite (w/ Analog Modelling Suite) $675 (crossgrade from any daw - you may have to buy $60 reaper to get this deal, dont know if it's eligible.)

Interface: RME UCX $1500

Computer: HP Pavilllion 17.3" DV7-7025dx (3rd gen i7 3610qm) $799

= 3k

The HP Pavillion 17.3 desktop replacement is very fast. RME UCX has very high quality conversion, totalmix fx software, and and 2 great mic pres. Samplitude is the best value daw because it gives you every plugin you will need including mastering and analog suites. Reaper is not a good value when you consider you will need to buy an entire plug in suite, and its features do not compare with Samp, unless you need simplicity.
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Is this some kind of trick question??

For the components you are looking to get, $3000 just isn't enough to really get a worthwhile rig that you won't want to upgrade within a year.. make it $5000 and you'll avoid total frustration and possibly gear lust for the next 3 or 4 years.
Old 1st October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

- Plug-in bundles
- A/D interface?

Apogee quartet, Mac book pro2011( used or refurbished ) reason 6.5, a six pack and get ready for serious music production.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy kiddo ➑️
Apogee quartet, Mac book pro2011( used or refurbished ) reason 6.5, a six pack and get ready for serious music production.
I should have mentioned that I'd like an interface with 8 analog ins for tracking drums. The Ensemble is a little too pricey for my budget.

Looking at Reason, I don't need a DAW that helps me MAKE music, just mix it.

A six-pack? I hate to say this but it'd be more likely to be latte with me :-/
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I should have mentioned that I'd like an interface with 8 analog ins for tracking drums. The Ensemble is a little too pricey for my budget.

Looking at Reason, I don't need a DAW that helps me MAKE music, just mix it.

A six-pack? I hate to say this but it'd be more likely to be latte with me :-/
lol that is fine !i fancy good lattes once in a while,in that case may i suggest steinberg mr816 ,Mac book pro2011( used or refurbished ) ,reason 6.5 and a good bag of colombian coffee !.
other thing you may want to check out if it is just for mixing is harrison mixbus 2....worth every penny and it is getting better every update at a time.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreChris ➑️
Daw: Samplitude Pro-X Suite (w/ Analog Modelling Suite) $675 (crossgrade from any daw - you may have to buy $60 reaper to get this deal, dont know if it's eligible.)

Interface: RME UCX $1500

Computer: HP Pavilllion 17.3" DV7-7025dx (3rd gen i7 3610qm) $799

= 3k

The HP Pavillion 17.3 desktop replacement is very fast. RME UCX has very high quality conversion, totalmix fx software, and and 2 great mic pres. Samplitude is the best value daw because it gives you every plugin you will need including mastering and analog suites. Reaper is not a good value when you consider you will need to buy an entire plug in suite, and its features do not compare with Samp, unless you need simplicity.
Another vote for Samplitude! I might just get Reaper and download a trial version of Samplitude to try it out.

Suggesting RME has got me thinking more and more about converter quality. When I do research into this issue, RME comes up repeatedly. The UCX is a bit pricey but looks like it's very much worth the cash.

I'm taking a good hard look at the Echo Audiofire. It seems to be very solid for the price but it also features two inserts, which I am surprised most people aren't overwhelmingly excited about. I'd love to be able to use a bit of outboard compression on the way in. Anyone out there a fan?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Another vote for Samplitude! I might just get Reaper and download a trial version of Samplitude to try it out.

Suggesting RME has got me thinking more and more about converter quality. When I do research into this issue, RME comes up repeatedly. The UCX is a bit pricey but looks like it's very much worth the cash.

I'm taking a good hard look at the Echo Audiofire. It seems to be very solid for the price but it also features two inserts, which I am surprised most people aren't overwhelmingly excited about. I'd love to be able to use a bit of outboard compression on the way in. Anyone out there a fan?
I had an echo layla 3g before upgrading to the UFX. The layla 3g is almost identical with PCI card instead of fw.

The echo stuff is good, but there were some practical problems with it from a usability standpoint. The inserts could not be plugged to the back of a patchbay, because it detects the presence of a cable and tries to route the signal through it. This meant if you really wanted to use the inserts, you had to reach behind the unit. Also, the mixer app is very basic and does not offer any routing flexibility. IMO, if you are going to use the zero latency monitoring, you really need a channel strip (eq, compression, fx) and the echo does not offer that. THe UCX and UFX have programmable IO and channel strips that solves all these problems.

If you have 3K to spend, I would put a lion's share into an interface with digital mixer and high quality converters. I would not buy individual plug-ins unless you have a specific need.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQ714 ➑️
Is this some kind of trick question??

For the components you are looking to get, $3000 just isn't enough to really get a worthwhile rig that you won't want to upgrade within a year.. make it $5000 and you'll avoid total frustration and possibly gear lust for the next 3 or 4 years.
I can't disagree more. We shouldn't automatically assume that people who need gear for the utilitarian purpose of mixing their band will turn into "Gear Slutz" or suffer from bouts of "Gear Lust". There are people on this forum who have all the Neumann and Neve stuff but are more collectors who want the "music industry image" than actual engineers/musicians and their mixes sound like a pile of crap. Not naming names of course.

For someone just wanting to get their band's tracks mixed $3,000 is a fine budget. $5,000 would mean the same exact brands -- higher end Focusrite & Echo, lower end RME & MOTU, etc. -- just add bells and whistles with the extra money. The computer will be obsolete in a few years whether you spend $200 or $10,000, that's just the nature of computers. You're paying for speed now, not a family heirloom.

The REAL next level up would be swapping out the all-in-one interface for dedicated boutique components which would mean single pieces costing more than the OP's current budget. Ridiculous overkill for someone mixing at home on headphones.
Old 2nd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreChris ➑️
I had an echo layla 3g before upgrading to the UFX. The layla 3g is almost identical with PCI card instead of fw.

The echo stuff is good, but there were some practical problems with it from a usability standpoint. The inserts could not be plugged to the back of a patchbay, because it detects the presence of a cable and tries to route the signal through it. This meant if you really wanted to use the inserts, you had to reach behind the unit. Also, the mixer app is very basic and does not offer any routing flexibility. IMO, if you are going to use the zero latency monitoring, you really need a channel strip (eq, compression, fx) and the echo does not offer that. THe UCX and UFX have programmable IO and channel strips that solves all these problems.

If you have 3K to spend, I would put a lion's share into an interface with digital mixer and high quality converters. I would not buy individual plug-ins unless you have a specific need.
This is very, very helpful!

I concur with you on spending a good portion on high quality conversion. That's very important to me. How do the converters in the Apollo compare to RME and others?

And, doesn't the Apollo give me the ability to use any UAD plugin with near-to-zero latency?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy kiddo ➑️
lol that is fine !i fancy good lattes once in a while,in that case may i suggest steinberg mr816 ,Mac book pro2011( used or refurbished ) ,reason 6.5 and a good bag of colombian coffee !.
other thing you may want to check out if it is just for mixing is harrison mixbus 2....worth every penny and it is getting better every update at a time.
Thoroughly checked out Harrison Mixbus. I really, really liked what I saw. For the price, it's definitely worth a shot! Thanks!
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I have to say that I love my Apollo and think you would be really happy with it. Then get a Mac and Logic Pro and you're set. You get some great free plugs with the Apollo and Logic and when you do your project, demo the UA plugs you need and then buy them later as money is available. It will stretch the budget a little but get the quad and start saving for the thunderbolt card. You'll be fine with FireWire but down the road the thunderbolt card will let you use more instances of plugs.
Best of luck!
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thoroughly checked out Harrison Mixbus. I really, really liked what I saw. For the price, it's definitely worth a shot! Thanks!
Anytime !
Old 2nd October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I have the Focusrite and used a MOTU. For your needs (16 ADATs in) the 2626 is an incredible value for under $400... I am running 24 inputs now and while I know there are better sounding units out there, a hundred bucks isn't going to sound *that* different... So at least consider it. I am very happy with mine. I plan on building a new rig with an Apollo quad, but will most definitely keep my old rig for other work. And doing ADAT transfers via lightpipe, none of the units should be doing anything to the sound since it is digital. Just a straight transfer.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy ➑️
I can't disagree more...
Let's look again at what he would actually need that he doesn't already have.

So, it looks like he'll need:
- Plug-in bundles
- A/D interface?

He needs a laptop.. anything under $1000 is not worth it and for quality components and enough speed and storage for audio recording would cost more like $1500.

Audio software.. Does anyone here really recommend Reaper to someone that has $3000 to spend on new gear??? Average price for a quality program looks to be about $400.

Plug-in bundles aren't necessary but say he wants a minimal set of tools that are better than the DAW's included plugins.. iZotope's studio bundle with Alloy 2, Ozone 5 and Nectar would cost $450 or he could jump up to something like Waves Gold for $800.

Next is the interface.. knowing that the industry is moving away from firewire, I wouldn't go that route, especially since most laptops don't include an express card slot anymore. Thunderbolt converters are a possibility but that would mean buying a more expensive MBP. So in trying to keep costs down, he would want to go for a USB interface.. and as he needs an interface with multiple ins, his needs take him well out of the budget range.
Nothing under $500 has enough preamps included. And as most would recommend a much better interface and preamps than what $500 would offer, he might as well plan on spending upwards of $1200 on something like a RME Babyface and perhaps a Focusrite Octopre for the preamps, which would be on the lowest end of quality pres. But as he said he wants an interface with two ADATs and 8 analog ins, he might as well get the UFX as it will probably be all he'll ever need. About $1800 on certain online stores currently.

And lastly, probably the most unexpected of costs is the miscellaneous section... cables, power conditioners, racks, patchbays, more cables.
That's another $300 to $500, easy!

Time to add it up..
Laptop $1000 to $1500
DAW software $400 to $700
Plugins $450 to $800
Interface $1200 to $2300
Miscellaneous $300 to $700

Minimum bottom line.. $3350
Recommended bottom line.. $6000
Old 4th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQ714 ➑️
He needs a laptop.. anything under $1000 is not worth it and for quality components and enough speed and storage for audio recording would cost more like $1500.

Audio software.. Does anyone here really recommend Reaper to someone that has $3000 to spend on new gear??? Average price for a quality program looks to be about $400.

Plug-in bundles aren't necessary but say he wants a minimal set of tools that are better than the DAW's included plugins.. iZotope's studio bundle with Alloy 2, Ozone 5 and Nectar would cost $450 or he could jump up to something like Waves Gold for $800.

Next is the interface.. knowing that the industry is moving away from firewire, I wouldn't go that route, especially since most laptops don't include an express card slot anymore. Thunderbolt converters are a possibility but that would mean buying a more expensive MBP. So in trying to keep costs down, he would want to go for a USB interface.. and as he needs an interface with multiple ins, his needs take him well out of the budget range.
Nothing under $500 has enough preamps included. And as most would recommend a much better interface and preamps than what $500 would offer, he might as well plan on spending upwards of $1200 on something like a RME Babyface and perhaps a Focusrite Octopre for the preamps, which would be on the lowest end of quality pres. But as he said he wants an interface with two ADATs and 8 analog ins, he might as well get the UFX as it will probably be all he'll ever need. About $1800 on certain online stores currently.

And lastly, probably the most unexpected of costs is the miscellaneous section... cables, power conditioners, racks, patchbays, more cables.
That's another $300 to $500, easy!

Time to add it up..
Laptop $1000 to $1500
DAW software $400 to $700
Plugins $450 to $800
Interface $1200 to $2300
Miscellaneous $300 to $700

Minimum bottom line.. $3350
Recommended bottom line.. $6000
I damn-near went with the RME UCX, so your suggestion was spot-on!

The package I went with was quite simple:

Macbook Pro.............$1300
Apollo Duo................$1850
Glyph HD..................$190
Equator D5 monitors...$330
Harrison Mixbus.........$80
Total........................$3750

So, just like a lot of people here said, there was no way I could keep it under $3000.

With my budget, there was no denying that the Apollo was the way to go. Part of its appeal was unique in that I am used to UAD plugins. They are what I've used before and I liked them. But also, the converters are decent, Thunderbolt upgrade, good software, good support, at least 8 analog ins, supposedly and relatively transparent pres, monitors outs, real-time tracking.

I'll probably buy a plugin bundle in the next few months. Now I've got some time to demo some stuff and I certainly have no shortage of recommendations!
Old 5th October 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
no way I could keep it under $3000.
Not with a Mac =)
Old 5th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And if you have several metal drill bits, you can build this, and install RME Raydat. It's just 25lb, so you can carry. Four ADAT I/O will be available. It's around $2200 (Reaper, Plugins, monitor not included).

https://gearspace.com/board/music-co...arts-list.html
πŸ“ Reply