Quantcast
Continuum fingerboard vs iPad multitouch control.Your VIEWS? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Continuum fingerboard vs iPad multitouch control.Your VIEWS?
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Continuum fingerboard vs iPad multitouch control.Your VIEWS?

I know when you read the title for the first time,its sounding stupid.tht wht the f m i comparing both..
Well,i realise continuum fingerboard is the most advanced and sophisticated thing meant for professionals and ipad is just for hobbyists n semi pros..

What makes me compare both of these is the HUGE PRICE DIFFERENCE..continuum is 3500USD..

Now here i would like to know your views that..is the continuum so special?worth so much money?cant we settle ourselves with the ipad surface?

If anyone has got any kinda xplaination abt continuum and its working or how an ipad cn be used in the same context..please post..

One additional question too..is the continuum just a midi controller..?
Does it hv any inbuilt sound?can ut cater as standalone instrument?
I need as much detail as possible cos i wont spend this much money before confirming a lot..

Fyi i googled a lot and dint find much abt it..
Old 23rd September 2012
Special Guest

🎧 5 years
Hi lordshakti, I have both Continuum and Ipad, you can't compare it. The Ipad is quite easy to use but very limited if you really want to play "notes" like as on a regular keyboard. With the Continuum you need to practice a bit in order to be familiar with the "3D" surface, but then, you play a real instrument and the level of expressivity is just incredible. The Continuum has it's own synth engine and is midi as well. The Continuum synth is really powerfull but a bit complicated to program. Continuum is now part of my live setup and I use it a lot in studio as well. I recently use it on the "Syndicate" new album "File under Zawinul", and I use it on stage all the time with Deep Forest. Hope it's help. Eric
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a Continuum as well as some iPads with all the touch-keyboard apps (SlideControl, Animoog, etc. etc.). At first we all thought that the iPad would be able to mimic the behavior of the Continuum by somehow sensing pressure - this would have to be done by measuring the area that each fingertip covers on the screen. As you press harder, your fingertip would squash and flatten out a little bit, thus covering more area on the iPad's screen. Unfortunately, this is not possible as the iPad senses each touch as a single point and cannot measure the area covered by each touch. Perhaps a future software update or new version of the iPad hardware will someday allow this, but at the moment it's not possible.

The Continuum senses how hard you dig into the surface, and this is typically used to control the volume of each note independently - it's really a unique device. Some other devices can do similar things to what I described above - the Snyderphonics Manta does this to an extent, and the Madrona SoundPlane might do it, but both of these have a hard surface that uses some method of "area measuring" to fake pressure sensitivity, whereas the Continuum is doing it the "right" way.

Playing a Continuum is an eye-opening experience, and there are ample controls to determine how (and if) it will auto-correct ("rounding") your pitch, so beginning players can still get musical results - it's not totally "fretless" if you don't want it to be. It can quantize your initial touch, so if you're a little off target the initial pitch will still be in tune, and it also has selectable "rounding time" so that after you slide from one pitch to another the destination pitch can be adjusted automatically, sort of like using AutoTune with a slow tracking time on a theremin. It's pretty fantastic and worth every penny.

The sound engine is based on a Sharc chip and contains scaled-down algorithms that are similar to what you'd find on a Kyma system - there are about ten or fifteen different physical modeling sound engines to choose from as well as an analog synth modeling engine. It can also process incoming audio - send in a monophonic audio signal and each finger on the Continuum will trigger a pitch-shifted version of that audio. This is great for simulating what you'd get if you could load samples into the thing - often I will take a drone or pad type sound in a software sampler and set it to play middle C and loop continuously - sending this into the Continuum and playing the surface is very similar to what you'd get if the sample was loaded into the Continuum itself.

It's a fantastic device and one of the most interesting purchases I've ever made.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser ➑️
Some other devices can do similar things to what I described above - the Snyderphonics Manta does this to an extent, and the Madrona SoundPlane might do it, but both of these have a hard surface that uses some method of "area measuring" to fake pressure sensitivity, whereas the Continuum is doing it the "right" way.
Hi, gotta set the record straight here. The Soundplane is a true pressure sensor with a deformable surface. It measures the distance between its wood / rubber front surface and a fixed internal surface at each of 8x64 points, about 1000 times a second. The travel of about 1mm may not be easy to see from videos, but it is very obvious and satisfying when you touch it. I hope you can try it out sometime.

The Continuum is a groundbreaking instrument and certainly an inspiration on the Soundplane. Both instruments offer a huge amount of potential that iPads don't begin to reach. Besides true force sensing, they both have sampling rates that enable virtuoso performance. The sampling rate of the iPad is not specified by Apple but seems to be around 50 Hz. You really need around 10 times this speed to capture the nuance of a musical gesture.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madronalabs ➑️
Hi, gotta set the record straight here. The Soundplane is a true pressure sensor with a deformable surface. It measures the distance between its wood / rubber front surface and a fixed internal surface at each of 8x64 points, about 1000 times a second. The travel of about 1mm may not be easy to see from videos, but it is very obvious and satisfying when you touch it. I hope you can try it out sometime.

The Continuum is a groundbreaking instrument and certainly an inspiration on the Soundplane. Both instruments offer a huge amount of potential that iPads don't begin to reach. Besides true force sensing, they both have sampling rates that enable virtuoso performance. The sampling rate of the iPad is not specified by Apple but seems to be around 50 Hz. You really need around 10 times this speed to capture the nuance of a musical gesture.
Thanks for the clarification... I said that the SoundPlane "might" do this because I wasn't sure from what I had read about how it works - and I've never seen or touched one in person.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks everybody fr replying..u all hv helped me learning a lot abt sumthn..i searched fr ages on the internet..
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Thanks for telling the actual reason why the ipad doesnt qualify for being a pro multi touch surface..

Now,as i hv got one more thing to consider..m more confused..soundplane looks promising to me..
Please differentiate soundplane with continuum..
The first and most attractive difference is PRICE as i have seen..almost half..
If i geo for soundplane..wht m i compromising at..n what gains r there..if any..

FYI m a keyboardist looking for an addition in the setup..which cn control my Kronos sounds and some virtual instruments too..
I wud play indian classical kinda bits on that..
(And if u kno SOUNDPLANE's availibility in INDIA..both online or retail..
Do tel..)

Thanks again
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Soundplane doesn't have any onboard sounds. Also, it requires a Mac computer at present because the drivers have not been developed for Windows / Linux yet. So you would have to plug the Soundplane into a Mac, then use a MIDI interface out, to control your modules.

That's probably the biggest difference and the rest may come down to price, portability and feel preference. Both are great instruments.

I'm not always on this board reliably so if you have any more questions, please email me: support at madronalabs.com.

best,
Randy
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The Soundplane doesn't have any onboard sounds. Also, it requires a Mac computer at present because the drivers have not been developed for Windows / Linux yet. So you would have to plug the Soundplane into a Mac, then use a MIDI interface out, to control your modules.

That's probably the biggest difference and the rest may come down to price, portability and feel preference. Both are great instruments.

I'm not always on this board reliably so if you have any more questions, please email me: support at madronalabs.com.

best,
Randy
Thanks i wil mail ya
πŸ“ Reply