Quantcast
External Hard Disk for Recording - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
External Hard Disk for Recording
Old 23rd September 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
External Hard Disk for Recording

Ok I am new to laptop recording and also to Logic Pro 9.

I just got a new MacBook Pro (non-retina) 8Gb ram, 5400 rpm internal drive, 2.6 ghz processor and i am getting some 'disk too slow errors'

Should I be recording to an external drive?

Which ones are good, reliable and fast? I have 2 USBs tied up with midi controllers and then I also have firewire800 and thunderbolt ports.

Should I get a Firewire 800 harddrive or thunderbolt harddrive?
Old 23rd September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
RedBaaron's Avatar
 
1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by contramark โžก๏ธ
Ok I am new to laptop recording and also to Logic Pro 9.

I just got a new MacBook Pro (non-retina) 8Gb ram, 5400 rpm internal drive, 2.6 ghz processor and i am getting some 'disk too slow errors'

Should I be recording to an external drive?

Which ones are good, reliable and fast? I have 2 USBs tied up with midi controllers and then I also have firewire800 and thunderbolt ports.

Should I get a Firewire 800 harddrive or thunderbolt harddrive?
The problem is likely with the 5400 rpms, as the rest of your system specs are up to par. Desktops abandoned the 5400 RPM standard years ago, but it still shows up regularly in laptop hard drives. Consider an eSATA external drive if you have a way to connect it. Check the specs. Try to get a 6.0 gbps instead of a 3.0 if you can find one.

And btw, it doesn't have to be a "music" hard drive; the regular ones store data just as well, so anything that is marketed specifically to musicians is probably overpriced. Newegg.com is hard to beat as far as price goes, and the reviews are reliable. Might also want to get one that runs cool (quieter). Western Digitals Blue or Greens are usually a good option and cheap.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Thanks for the info!

Cani get a thunderbolt SSD Drive? Does these exist? Or is this overkill? So you think a 6.0gbps firewire 800 drive should do the trick?
Old 23rd September 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
frans's Avatar
 
10 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Firewire 800 should be enough, Thunderbolt won't hurt either but is complete overkill - if both cost the same, go for Thunderbolt. The bottom line is audio and system should both have their own disks to mess with. If the system thinks it absolutely has to do something with their disks mid-performance or recording, your audio-only disk won't give you trouble.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
RedBaaron's Avatar
 
1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by contramark โžก๏ธ
Thanks for the info!

Cani get a thunderbolt SSD Drive? Does these exist? Or is this overkill? So you think a 6.0gbps firewire 800 drive should do the trick?
The firewire will be fine. Go with whatever is cheapest.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Ok i found this drive.

LaCie 500GB Rugged Hard Drive Triple USB 3.0 (7200 RPM) - Apple Store (U.S.)

But the specs are sort of confusing. It says:

Highlights
Triple interface, bus powered, plug and play
Maximum speed up to 110MB/s <------------------
Shock-proof design
Time Machine compatible
Easy cross-platform formatting utility

Then it goes on to say:

Perfomance
Maximum Transfer Rate:
USB 3.0: up to 5Gb/s.
USB 2.0: up to 480Mb/s.
FireWire 800: up to 800Mb/s. <------------------
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
RedBaaron's Avatar
 
1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by contramark โžก๏ธ
Ok i found this drive.

LaCie 500GB Rugged Hard Drive Triple USB 3.0 (7200 RPM) - Apple Store (U.S.)

But the specs are sort of confusing. It says:

Highlights
Triple interface, bus powered, plug and play
Maximum speed up to 110MB/s <------------------
Shock-proof design
Time Machine compatible
Easy cross-platform formatting utility

Then it goes on to say:

Perfomance
Maximum Transfer Rate:
USB 3.0: up to 5Gb/s.
USB 2.0: up to 480Mb/s.
FireWire 800: up to 800Mb/s. <------------------
USB 3.0 is crazy fast. Make sure your laptop supports it though. If not, the firewire (and maybe even the usb 2.0) will be adequate. Honestly, probably anything other than a 5400 would be fine.

Also, before you buy anything, try increasing the buffer settings on the ASIO driver for your recording interface.
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump