Quantcast
Is no one making breath controllers? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is no one making breath controllers?
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Is no one making breath controllers?

I need a breath controller to control the attack and dynamic phrasing of my orchestral samples through my Kurzweil K2500. To my surprise, the Yamaha BC3a was discontinued a year ago and it seems no one else is making them. Is that correct?

Breath controllers would seem to be the most intuitive and from what I've heard very convincing form of dynamic control, making your ordinary orchestral libraries really come to life. If it is sadly true that there are no more on the market, what are you all using instead? Foot control? Seems like you'd need a really fast foot. Any ideas? Help!

(not interested in the wind controllers which are basically electronic flutes - too expensive and too great a learning curve.)
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In my experience, breath controllers only work well if you are a horn/sax player and the relationship between breath and dynamics is second nature to you. To the rest of us, it's a lot easier to achieve great results with modulation wheels and foot pedals (notice I said foot pedals, i.e. expression pedals, not foot switches.) I guess breath controllers are out of style because a horn/sax player would probably prefer a wind controller.
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you for that answer. Seems like it should be super easy, but you're right, they're probably out of style for a reason. Do you or anyone have any recommendations on responsive foot controllers? (can you plug them into the breath control port?)
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle peri ➑️
Thank you for that answer. Seems like it should be super easy, but you're right, they're probably out of style for a reason. Do you or anyone have any recommendations on responsive foot controllers? (can you plug them into the breath control port?)
I use a Roland EV-5 because it's built like a tank and very reliable, but it's a bit pricey at about $80. If you're a pro user and you need something sturdy and reliable, that's probably your best bet.

Alternatively there's the ubiquitous Yamaha FC-7 (made of lighter plastic, but still sturdy enough for regular use) which retails for about $40.

If you want something even cheaper, M-Audio has one and several Chinese models are also selling in US stores for $20-25. Of course you get what you pay for, but if you don't use an expression pedal often, you might even go for one of those (heck, you can break 3-4 before you get to the price of the Roland...)
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Patchmanmusic is a good vendor for this sort of stuff.

In fact he has a BC3 on his used gear page:
Patchman Music USED GEAR For Sale Wind Controller Gear
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➑️
In my experience, breath controllers only work well if you are a horn/sax player and the relationship between breath and dynamics is second nature to you. To the rest of us, it's a lot easier to achieve great results with modulation wheels and foot pedals (notice I said foot pedals, i.e. expression pedals, not foot switches.) I guess breath controllers are out of style because a horn/sax player would probably prefer a wind controller.

Actually I think it's the other way around. As a non-horn playing keyboard player I used to (a few personas ago) keep it in my mouth live because it was better than giving up a hand or foot for what it was doing. I wouldn't think actual horn players would like them at all.

It's not ideal, but for the 3rd hand kind of thing it's worth checking out.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think it would be nice if someone made a device which used just a normal dynamic mike to alter breath or aftertouch. a little like a vocoder can produce.

or just a nice thick soft rubber pad which responds well to pressure.
The softstep foot controller might be a contender.

in fact that guy could probably knock out a good single pressure pad.
Old 22nd August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have never got results with strings (yes, I said strings) as great, expressive, and realistic, as with my bc3a. The day it breaks, I will pack some clothes and my toothbrush and I will camp at the Yamaha headquarters until they manufacture the bc3a again (ok, they can call it bc4 if they want….)
I have just found this initiative on the web to ask Yamaha to make bc3a again …
"Yamaha please bring back the BC3A breath controller!"
Petition Yamaha please bring back the BC3A breath controller!
Old 22nd August 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle peri ➑️
I need a breath controller to control the attack and dynamic phrasing of my orchestral samples through my Kurzweil K2500. To my surprise, the Yamaha BC3a was discontinued a year ago and it seems no one else is making them. Is that correct?
How about this one:USB MIDI Breath Controller

I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to.

rich
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
When you said breath controller.. I immediately though you were referring to the ones AKAI has out, which are wind controllers.

I also use the Roland EV foot pedal. Nice pedal. I got an older one used for $35 bucks. Great investment. I use it to control my "wah"
Old 25th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnappi ➑️
How about this one:USB MIDI Breath Controller

I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to.

rich
I have one, works well. Here's a good overview.

They also added a headset, similar to Bc3a's, which I just ordered. FYI, I never owned a Bc3a, wanted one but they'd already been discontinued.

..ant
Old 25th August 2013
Eat
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i got this idea of modifying a buttplug into a fart controller. bet they sell! btw, don't bother.... i own the patents
Old 20th December 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antstudio ➑️
I have one, works well. Here's a good overview.

They also added a headset, similar to Bc3a's, which I just ordered. FYI, I never owned a Bc3a, wanted one but they'd already been discontinued.
I have it too, it's great, esp. with Samplemodeling VIs. I'm not nearly as good as some of the guys using it out there - Mike Verta for example - but I enjoy playing with it.

Old 20th December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
TEC makes a usb breath controller
Old 20th December 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I still have a BC3 which I used with my Motif/PLG150-VL. Haven't used it for a long time. I want to sell it but I don't think anybody wants to buy a used accessory that has been in my mouth. LOL!
Old 21st December 2014 | Show parent
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimidi ➑️
That was really interesting, thanks!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➑️
That was really interesting, thanks!
You're welcome. I love this device, it really is amazing. If you're interested there's more

Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimidi ➑️
You're welcome. I love this device, it really is amazing. If you're interested there's more
Thanks again. I think I'll have to get one.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I got the TEControl. It works well. I don't need it though. PM me if you want to buy mine at a discount. They also have a new one with breath and bite control both combined. USB MIDI Breath and Bite Controller
Old 3rd May 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jster ➑️
I got the TEControl. It works well. I don't need it though. PM me if you want to buy mine at a discount. They also have a new one with breath and bite control both combined. USB MIDI Breath and Bite Controller
Yes, that is also great. Some more info here:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...to-your-music/
πŸ“ Reply