Quantcast
E-MU 1616m BSOD'ing on new system - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
E-MU 1616m BSOD'ing on new system
Old 22nd September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
E-MU 1616m BSOD'ing on new system

Hey guys, first post here, been looking at the forums for quite some time and was very happy to find a lot of useful informations! It's time for me to jump in for some very non-exciting stuff.

I've been a user of the E-MU 1616m PCMCIA version (through a PCI PCMCIA card) for a couple of years now on Win 7 x64, had a couple of rough times and audio crashes on my old P5B but nothing too bad. I've switched to a shiny i7 3820/Asus P9X79 combo today and I just can't get the damn card working. I've been looking around on this board and other websites for some solutions but it seems like I can't get any info about it.

So basically, the audio interface is detected but the device manager tells me that there are not enough ressources for it. On top of that, any try for deactivation, uninstall/look for a new driver process instantly ends up in an IRQ LESS OR NOT EQUAL BSOD which makes the thing even better.

The IRQ assignment of the mobo is a bit meh for PCI cards (sharing the same hardware IRQ with all PCI Express slots and E-SATA chip) and there's only one PCI slot so there are no workarounds moving it. Driver installation just goes smooth as if there was no problem on the other side.

As a side info, BIOS is up to date, no OC, memory is not flawed according to memtest. Been trying to fix this for a good couple of hours now and I have no idea what else to try now. Any lead?
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Not what you want to hear, I'm sure, bug I gave up on my E-MU 1616 for the reasons you've described. It always conflicted with something and resulted in unusable sound.

I eventually changed motherboards and was able to get it to work on a new machine that had more slots, but I outgrew it shortly afterwards, and also got a bit annoyed at E-MU/Creative for their constant promises of new driver versions, but nothing solid ever showing up.

As a last ditch effort, maybe order their 0404 PCIe card?(PCIe vs PCI) I see you have two PCIe slots on that mobo.

Pete
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Yeah it's some love/hate relationship. The patchmix and AD/DA converters still prevents me from upgrading because I know I'll lose something on the way if I don't put a real load of money.

Indeed I have a couple of extra PCIe slots on it, especially one that is only sharing IRQs with an USB 3 controller I could easily disable, there may be something to be done there. I might try getting my hands on a PCIe PCMCIA card first I guess.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggeh โžก๏ธ
I might try getting my hands on a PCIe PCMCIA card first I guess.
and
Quote:
I've been a user of the E-MU 1616m PCMCIA version (through a PCI PCMCIA card)
That part is confusing me, as you've mentioned PCMCIA twice now, but I'm not sure of the context.

PCMCIA is an interface that used to be used on laptops. It was the original (or close to original) expansion standards. Cards are up to about 1/4" thick or so and the size of a credit card. Connections to the laptop are all on one end.
PC Card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

E-MU does make a PCMCIA card which can be used with laptops (which don't have PCI slots)

PCI and PCIe are standards for connecting inside the computer.
PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought you said you tried a PCI card and it failed due to the IRQ conflicts. Did I misunderstand? Do you actually have a PCMCIA adapter on the PC? (not popular, but they exist) If so, there may be several other driver conflicts you're running into as well.

Pete
Old 23rd September 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
No no you got it right, I use a PCMCIA version with an adapter card plugged in PCI (like this).

I've made a couple of quick tests with this adapter card, like installing/searching for drivers for it (all those things that BSOD when done on the audio interface) and as long as the audio card is not plugged, no crash happens.

So you're saying it might come from somewhere else?
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
The pci-e version of the 1212M is not so expensive.
169 euro in Musicstore Koln Germany.

I use a little mixer as headphone amp, cause you won't have the breakoutbox.

If you can use it for about five years it's a very good deal.

(I don't know the quality leap you would get by going for an RME aio pcie, let alone high end stuff)
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apartment dog โžก๏ธ
The pci-e version of the 1212M is not so expensive.
I might start going that way, or maybe a 1010 card which is specifically made for 1616 users who want to go PCIe. Still feels a bit like a rape in a "go buy our new hardware because we can't be arsed to do decent software support" way. Is this music store far from the cathedral btw? I'll be in Kรถln next month, might be worth looking for some stuff down there.

I've been removing all hidden devices from the device manager (following this). Did find a couple of weird things like an old graphic card and the 1616m installed twice. But even so, after a fresh clean up, all secondary audio interfaces (gfx integrated one, mobo one and the Pod X3 Pro one) clearly removed and a clean driver install I end up with a Code 12 error on the 1616m. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that this can't be fixed but all help is still more than welcome.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I had some problems with my 1616 (not the 1616M model) and Win 7. I ended up getting a PCIe card and all was well after that. Not sure it'll solve your problems though and a bit of an expensive way to find out it still won't work.

Good luck anyway
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute โžก๏ธ
I had some problems with my 1616 (not the 1616M model) and Win 7. I ended up getting a PCIe card and all was well after that. Not sure it'll solve your problems though and a bit of an expensive way to find out it still won't work.

Good luck anyway
Thanks, seems like it's the cheapest solution available to my problem anyway. Tried to do a fresh install with most of the motherboard's options disabled and other version of the drivers, exact same issue, it's the first time I ever encounter something this persistent, whatever I've done so far there was not a single drop of improvement. Might aswell try a Windows XP install just for the sake of it.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggeh โžก๏ธ
Is this music store far from the cathedral btw? I'll be in Kรถln next month, might be worth looking for some stuff down there.
Don't know, only ordered online.

check it out;

MUSIC STORE professional - Home

good luck
Old 8th October 2012
Here for the gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Beware the Emu stuff! Their support has gone to **** (never really much in the first place) and they seem to have given up on the 1212m/1616m line.
Old 12th October 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Yeah, I know right about their crap support, except I don't have much alternative. I managed to try a PCI version of a friend which worked like a charm after some extensive use. So I bought a 1616 PCI second hand, except now with this one I get loud crackles everytime I play something (happens both in ASIO and WDM, but not when nothing is playing back). I tried multiple outputs (out 1/2/3/4 and headphone out) with headphones and monitors. This starts to feel like a never ending loop of f**k you.

Also, I noticed a strange thing, I have to switch on the dock before windows starts in order to get it initialized otherwise it won't work. This happens on both PCI cards I tried and is a bit irritating as my computer is on for extended periods of time.
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
These 'budget' PCI/PCIe audio card makers (Emu and M-Audio) are moving away from those cards. Unless you build the PC with native PCI (using AMD CPU and second hand motherboard), chances to get 'bridge chip' problem are very high.

Alternative is to go to RME such as HDSPe AIO. It just works on relatively older mother boards and also newest motherboards, right out of the box. Of course it is expensive, but it comes with rock solid driver and routing mixer (Total Mix). If you feel like wasting time and money on the Emu/M-audio cards, just to get it work, think about RME as a possibility.
Old 12th October 2012
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Yeah, that might be a possibility in the upcoming years, for now it's just too bad I don't see much audio interfaces with this audio quality (great converters and connectivity) and routing possibilities at a similar price range. Been using a MOTU 24i/o and I still prefer the mixer routing and the way the sound is rendered with the E-MU, it's clearer, deeper, transients seems a bit more defined.

Weirdly, cracks and pops almost completely disappeared now, heard one just now after a good hour without any problem on Cubase and Winamp. I don't know if it might be something related to my electric installation, or simply the PCI card being very cold when I plugged it in (installed it straight from my mailbox and it's damn cold outside).
๐Ÿ“ Reply