Quantcast
Effects... how to start - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Effects... how to start
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Effects... how to start

Well, I have been making music for 30 years now, and began to record my stuff at home ca. 10 years ago (to avoid the overused term "producing").
It was only last year, that I took my first steps into effects and what they actually do, before it was all much more play around / try and error.

So now that I have more of an idea what a compressor does, what an EQ can be used for, what tools are available to place an instrument in the mix, I now would like to a) get better in the use of effects, and b) learn how to judge the quality of a plugin.

While I can perfectly hear differences in sound quality of instruments, I'd like to improve with effects.

I am using the Presonus Studio One FX plugins at the moment, and I read on several places that they are all good enough to use / to start with.
Now that I know how 1000 โ‚ฌ expensive monitors can make you judge your mix a lot better than 100*โ‚ฌ monitors (so you actually do improve with more expensive monitors), I wonder if it's the same with effects.
Do I improve with more expensive plugins, i.e., do they *invite me* to improve a lot more than the DAW-included plugins? (as noone improves automatically just by spending money)

How can I best compare demos of compressor or EQ plugins?
I have been fancying UAD or the Softube Studio Collection for a long time now, but I am not sure if it's worth to get them already now.
But I also know, that learning with bad quality tools - in general - is no proper learning.

You don't learn to paint with cheap colours and brushes, you don't learn to judge your mix with cheap monitors, so I wonder how it is for effect plugins.
Where to start?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
*bump*
Anyone?
Are Studio One's own FX plugin good enough to learn on, and will I be able to hear the difference to more expensive plugins? Where to start getting deeper into FX?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Polarelch: really, really, really, don't worry about it at all... music and art is about intent and taste. if you can accomplish your goals with what you have in front of you, never ever worry about, say, a "better" eq or compressor. Sure, there are some fun and great tools out there, but i think probably the best $$ is spent on having a good monitoring environment (so you can hear what is actually going on, i was late to that party, but believe me....), and creating a space where you can do what you do. Toys are toys,... and the waves stuff, and the soundtoys stuff, and the eventide, softube, etc etc... may get you to someplace inspired, but there is a lot you can do with what comes stock with most daws, and never lose sleep wondering about "what could have been", or "if only i had the uad plate plugin" whatever. seriously. move forward, try out demos of the plugins that people you respect recommend, and make judicious decisions on what to purchase, but there have been many many amazing records made with much less. do not worry about it for another second.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
thanks Much appreciated!
๐Ÿ“ Reply