Quantcast
What markets are the major DAWs geared to? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What markets are the major DAWs geared to?
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What markets are the major DAWs geared to?

Just curious about all the DAWs I read about; usually companies target a market niche for their product and i wondered what the main type of customer each of these DAWs sees themselves going after. I've figured out that Ableton seems to really be selling to those into loops and live stuff (maybe DJ's) but i can't get a clear ID on the other main manufacturers. So two questions:

1. What are the main DAWs?
2. What is their unique selling point/customer?

thanks
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cubase has peerless MIDI functions (like note expression.) Also a competent scoring page. Favorite of composers, jazz musicians etc.

Nuendo is the standard for post-production.

Pro Tools is known for its excellent handling of audio and for being a de facto standard in commercial studios.

Sonar has the best interface on the market and it truly shines on multiple screens. Plus the Pro Channel is quite unique.

Reaper is famous for its ridiculously low cost.

Reason attracts the electronic music crowd.

FL Studio same as Ableton (loops, dj's etc.)

Samplitude/Sequoia I don't really know much about those, but I have the impression they're favored by those who like to feel "different"...

Logic is mostly loved by its users because Apple makes it. It's long in the tooth and surpassed by its competition, but to them it will forever be the best (disclaimer: I'm a former Logic user.)
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oh come on, I use most of those DAWs and Logic is easily in the top 5 as far as usability and recording, as well as mix/mastering.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➡️
Logic is mostly loved by its users because Apple makes it. It's long in the tooth and surpassed by its competition, but to them it will forever be the best (disclaimer: I'm a former Logic user.)
That comment alone was enough for me to register and post this:

That is a flat out ridiculous statement. Apple owns Logic but the EMagic team very much still codes it. Logic is used by MANY industry professionals, not just iSheep.

Long in the tooth? Since when? Logic 9.1.7 is very much alive and well.

I've been lurking here for years. I suppose it's time to interact for a change.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyM ➡️
That comment alone was enough for me to register and post this:

That is a flat out ridiculous statement. Apple owns Logic but the EMagic team very much still codes it. Logic is used by MANY industry professionals, not just iSheep.

I've been lurking here for years. I suppose it's time to interact for a change.
Sure it's used by many pros in the industry. Still an obsolete DAW outclassed by the competition. So many commercial studios still have g5 Macs, and they still work.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Isn't logic the standard for composers and post?

And doesn't logic have number 2 market share after pro tools?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sure it's used by many pros in the industry. Still an obsolete DAW. So many commercial studios still have g5 Macs, and they still work.
LOL. It is far from obsolete. But since you know better than the industry pros that use it, perhaps you can explain to them why they need to "move on." Haha.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
LOL. It is far from obsolete. But since you know better than the industry pros that use it, perhaps you can explain to them why they need to "move on." Haha.
They don't. I'm quite happy that so many of my competitors can't appreciate the immense value of note expression. So yeah, Logic is the greatest!
As they said in ancient Rome, "quod erat demonstrandum."
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
They don't. I'm quite happy that so many of my competitors can't appreciate the immense value of note expression. So yeah, Logic is the greatest!
So that's it? It's obsolete because you want note expression? LOL sir.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So that's it? It's obsolete because you want note expression? LOL sir.
Just an example. But you're right, Logic 9 is the greatest and will always be the greatest in five years (when it will still be Logic 9...)

Which, incidentally, was my point all along.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntk drummer ➡️
Isn't logic the standard for composers and post?
You might want to check out what Hans Zimmer uses...

Quote:
And doesn't logic have number 2 market share after pro tools?
I seriously doubt Logic sells more than Reaper.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Just an example. But you're right, Logic 9 is the greatest and will always be the greatest in five years (when it will still be Logic 9...)

Which, incidentally, was my point all along.

Not sure what your deal is, but pull your head out of your backside for a moment and re-read my posts. I forgot the sentence where I said Logic 9 was the greatest, much less anything about the next 5 years, but thanks for reminding me that I said that! Wait... I didn't say anything of the kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal
Yes, Hans Zimmer is the WHOLE industry.

Meanwhile back in reality land, Logic is far from obsolete and is quite capable in our industry and in my company. Calling Logic obsolete is quite the hilarious thing to say, and doesn't lend much credence to your "authority" on the subject of DAW usability.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes, Hans Zimmer is the WHOLE industry.
Non sequitur.,Someone said Logic is the standard for composers. I just proved it's not.

Quote:
Calling Logic obsolete is quite the hilarious thing to say, and doesn't lend much credence to your "authority" on the subject of DAW usability.
Thank you for going ad hominem. That certainly lends a lot of credence to your "authority"...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Non sequitur.,Someone said Logic is the standard for composers. I just proved it's not.

Thank you for going ad hominem. That certainly lends a lot of credence to your "authority"...
LOL. How quaint. You sure proved me wrong... LOL

P.S. "Industry Standard" doesn't mean EVERYONE uses it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

P.S. "Industry Standard" doesn't mean EVERYONE uses it.
So, you're assuming Zimmer is the only composer using Cubase, right?

You do realize that your angry and venomous reaction to my post is totally proving my point about the most fanatical Logic users, don't you?
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I seriously doubt Logic sells more than Reaper.
It's got **** all to do with your daw. You can either write, record, mix music with meaning that connects with people or you can't.

If you require certain midi functionality to make good art then you haven't got it anyway.

You're entitled to your opinion but what facts or credibility can you offer to back your claim.

If logic exists in many pro studios along side pro tools and is used by some tier 1 mixers than your argument for it being obsolete doesn't have any credibility. It's only your opinion.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I am laughing at you actually.
More ad hominem. But then again, what else do you have? Funny how you started posting here just to insult someone who dares to have a different opinion than yours.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

If logic exists in many pro studios along side pro tools and is used by some tier 1 mixers than your argument for it being obsolete doesn't have any credibility. It's only your opinion.
Like I said, so many commercial studios have obsolete computers. But they still work and they don't feel the need to change them. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
More ad hominem. But then again, what else do you have? Funny how you started posting here just to insult someone who dares to have a different opinion than yours.
You're insulted? Congrats. Welcome to the internet. If you would like to have meaningful conversations on this wonderful web, try not making idiotic blanket statements like "Logic is obsolete." With comments like that, yes, people will laugh at you.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
And no I am not angry. I am laughing at you actually. You're ridiculous.
I agree. He mentions one composers name and then claims that he proved that logic isn't a standard for composers.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You're insulted? Congrats. Welcome to the internet. If you would like to have meaningful conversations on this wonderful web, try not making idiotic blanket statements like "Logic is obsolete." With comments like that, yes, people will laugh at you.
Like I said, you're totally proving my point about Logic users, at least the fanatical ones who most likely aren't pros.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Like I said, you're totally proving my point about Logic users, at least the fanatical ones who most likely aren't pros.
HAHA

Is this guy serious? Wow. What a great laugh.

Please define "pro" and how you know whether or not I am one... This should be good.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Like I said, so many commercial studios have obsolete computers. But they still work and they don't feel the need to change them. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact.
You've contradicted your self. If they still work and are making commercial records they are functional and therefore can not be obsolete.

Look up the definition of obsolete. You'll find that it means no longer used.

And your claim that many studios ate using g5 macs is speculation. It seems like your a cubase fanboy. Fair enough. But no need to give inaccurate information to the OP.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I know alot of producers doing great stuff on Logic, I prefer PT with VEP5. They are all good :D
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I agree. He mentions one composers name and then claims that he proved that logic isn't a standard for composers.
James Horner uses Pro Tools.
James Newton Howard uses Cubase.
Dave Newman uses Cubase.
Karim Sebastian Elias uses Cubase.
Howard Shore, Michael Giacchino and Don Davis use Digital Performer.

So, what is your claim that Logic is "the standard" among composers based on?
Old 22nd September 2012
Brb
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think logics is up there

Protool and live aren't even 64 bit yet LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You've contradicted your self. If they still work and are making commercial records they are functional and therefore can not be obsolete.
OK, so a G5 Mac is NOT obsolete.

Theater of the absurd.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
James Horner uses Pro Tools.
James Newton Howard uses Cubase.
Dave Newman uses Cubase.
Karim Sebastian Elias uses Cubase.
Howard Shore, Michael Giacchino and Don Davis use Digital Performer.

So, what is your claim that Logic is "the standard" among composers based on?
He actually asked if it was the standard iirc. He never made a claim. Unlike you popping off stuff as if you're some kind of professor.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
He actually asked if it was the standard iirc. He never made a claim. Unlike you popping off stuff as if you're some kind of professor.
His words, verbatim:

"He mentions one composers name and then claims that he proved that logic isn't a standard for composers."

So, it's pretty clear that he totally believes Logic is the standard among composers.

Waiting to see proof of that.

BTW, I hold two music masters in piano and composition, so I guess you could call me a professor, kid.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
His words, verbatim:

"He mentions one composers name and then claims that he proved that logic isn't a standard for composers."

So, it's pretty clear that he totally believes Logic is the standard among composers.

Waiting to see proof of that.
HAHAHA. Totally clear? LOL you are hilarious.

How old were you when you first got telepathic powers to know what someone believes? And over the internet no less!
📝 Reply