Quantcast
What markets are the major DAWs geared to? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What markets are the major DAWs geared to?
Old 23rd September 2012
  #91
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Lune, I would suggest Fruity Loops Studio if you're more interested in making beats than actual multi-track recording. IMO, that's what it is geared toward. Loop based audio. Cheers

EDIT: Also, you could look into Reason and Ableton Live which are both probably a bit deeper than FL Studio is.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #92
Lives for gear
 
projektk's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyM ➑️
Lune, I would suggest Fruity Loops Studio if you're more interested in making beats than actual multi-track recording. IMO, that's what it is geared toward. Loop based audio. Cheers

EDIT: Also, you could look into Reason and Ableton Live which are both probably a bit deeper than FL Studio is.
FL Studio is also very unstable when you truly stack up a session. I think the reason and live suggestions are a smarter investment with less frustration.

Sent from my LG-P925
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #93
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by projektk ➑️
FL Studio is also very unstable when you truly stack up a session. I think the reason and live suggestions are a smarter investment with less frustration.

Sent from my LG-P925
Thanks for the info. I've not used FL Studio before. IMO then, Ableton is a very good option for sample and loop based music. More so than Reason which is a bit more electronically leaning than it is for Hip-Hop.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #94
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorydom ➑️
... ProTools has nothing more to offer nowadays except for the "industry Standard" compatibility...
That's actually more than enough for most pros.

People have been predicting the imminent demise of Pro Tools for the past 20 years. It hasn't happened simply because nothing has been enough better to be worth the hassles of incompatibility.

One thing I'm sure of. Whatever eventually replaces Pro Tools will be far more innovative than just another Pro Tools poser with a few extra bells and whistles. "Cheaper and just as good" won't make the sale.
.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #95
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➑️
That's actually more than enough for most pros.

People have been predicting the imminent demise of Pro Tools for the past 20 years. It hasn't happened simply because nothing has been enough better to be worth the hassles of incompatibility.

One thing I'm sure of. Whatever eventually replaces Pro Tools will be far more innovative than just another Pro Tools poser with a few extra bells and whistles. "Cheaper and just as good" won't make the sale.
.
No... Many DAWS outperform PT on different things. It's never been a matter of something better coming along. In many cases, depending on what KIND of work you do, another DAW will have a better workflow. The real reason so many pros use PT and call it "Industry Standard" is the fact that it has been on the market FOREVER so everyone has it and projects will open easily in another studio. Compatibility is the key. Time is money and having to convert a project to a different DAW format is time wasted. Also, I would imagine all those ridiculously expensive HD rigs that cost upwards of 40k a few years ago are hard to let go of. That's my opinion.

Cubase is no PT poser. Logic is no PT poser. Sonar is no PT poser. All the DAWs I have mentioned are wonderful. Calling a non-PT DAW a poser is a bit insecure imo. Native versions of PT are in the same price range as other DAWs and honestly, with current CPU power, HD is not a justified cost anymore. INSANELY expensive vs a powerful native system that is THOUSANDS less.

PT is a FINE DAW. Wonderful software. But there is no need to defend it against other DAWs by calling them posers. It stands on it's own as do they.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #96
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Ableton look good- but it seems to have a lot of features I wouldn't use and is over $400. I wonder if there isn't anything more basic (and cheaper) out there that just lets your run loops and fire samples in real time? My ideal would just be a computer screen filled with sound boxes that i could fire, loop, turn off, latch with a mouse. Kinda like a software sample player but i want sofware so i can read and know what i'm firing.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #97
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Being first always has great benefits!
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #98
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
EDIT: Kinda like a hardware sample player but i want sofware so i can read and know what i'm firing.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #99
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➑️
Being first always has great benefits!
Yes sir. Agreed.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #100
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune ➑️
EDIT: Kinda like a hardware sample player but i want sofware so i can read and know what i'm firing.
Try using Reaper with NI Battery? Not sure how much Battery is but Reaper is cheap. About 60 dollars. Battery is just a plugin instrument. The reason I mentioned Reaper is you'll need a host DAW to run the plugin.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #101
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune ➑️
Paul in So Cal

I have learned a lot from your posts- you seem to know a lot about various daws- two last questions and I won't bug you any more

1. Am I correct in thinking that if a person wanted the two most opposite daws from each other in order to have a variety of tools and methods to compose- would those two be Cubase and Ableton? one geared to a lot of detailed linear MIDI and the other more loop, layer based?

2. Which daw is the best for someone who wants a very fluid, intuitive way to compose with beats, bass, sample triggering, moving objects around to hear them play in different configurations. I want a daw that feels like improvising on a piano.

I am not interested in ultimate mastering, massive numbers of tracks, sophisitcated MIDI tricks (or anything MIDI!), recording live. i am not producing something to sell or that needs to sound professional. i just want something that allows for super easy creativity and flexibility in creating original compositions without having to master lots of details, quantizing, drop down menus, etc.

Something with preset beats, bass lines, etc that can be modified would be great. I'm thinking of a DAW that is almost like one of those cheap Yamaha PSR keyboards- but on steroids.

It must allow wav samples, third party VST's etc. Anything that is easy to preview sounds would be great (mouse over an object and hear it before importing it) Piano roll is an asset.

This is a lot I know but I would appreciate any ideas- i want to jam on a daw
Sounds like Ableton Live is what you'd be most comfortable with. But I invite you to try several demos and judge for yourself. Someone with roughly your requirements and ideas about music asked me the same question some time ago and I gave him the same answer. He ended up buying Studio One and he completely loves it. IMHO Studio One is not particularly suited to people who mainly work with loops and/or require sophisticated live arranging features, but it's a wonderful DAW which is very intuitive and easy to use. I guess he valued that over Ableton's more sophisticated clip arranging abilities. In the end, it's a very personal choice.

P.S. 1: Don't forget that Sonar's arranging page is almost as good and sophisticated as Live's. So that could also be a good middle ground. Like I said, try them all and then see which one you're most comfortable with.
P.S. 2: If money is a strong concern, maybe you should try Reaper. At $60 (non-commercial license, which applies to you), it's by far the best bang for the bucks. Also consider that Cubase, Sonar and Live also have cheaper "lite" versions that might still meet your requirements, since you probably won't use any of the extras.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #102
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Sonar looks good- certainly less expensive than Ableton- there seem to be a number of varieties-some have 64 tracks (seems like a lot) and some have unlimited tracks (way too much)- which one is best for basic groove making?. Does sonar allow you to import wav samples and click and play them live? Can it host third party vst's?

Reaper also look interesting- so many here love it- but is it very well suited for live play?
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #103
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune ➑️
Sonar looks good- certainly less expensive than Ableton- there seem to be a number of varieties-some have 64 tracks (seems like a lot) and some have unlimited tracks (way too much)- which one is best for basic groove making?. Does sonar allow you to import wav samples and click and play them live? Can it host third party vst's?

Reaper also look interesting- so many here love it- but is it very well suited for live play?
One strong point of Sonar is that it comes with an impressive library of high-quality VSTi's, samples and loops, so you could start working immediately without buying anything extra. Some of Sonar's synths are legendary and also available separately for owners of different DAW's. Yes, of course Sonar allows you to import .wav samples. Another excellent feature of this DAW is that it can "acidize" or "de-acidize" clips with a simple click. Acidized loops contain tempo and key information, so that properly time-stretch them when pitch-shifted. Of course you can add any third-party VST you want.

Reaper does not come with the massive content of Sonar and you definitely need to buy extras sooner or later, so that's where the initial money saving can no longer be an issue over time. Also Reaper doesn't have a sophisticated arranger page like Sonar, but you can still arrange clips however you want. Once again, try it and judge by yourself.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #104
Lives for gear
 
TreyM's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I am a huge fan of Sonar, and X2 looks fantastic! You really can't go wrong with Sonar as an all around DAW.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #105
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Trey and So Cal: you have both been a lot of help. I have a few more questions and refinements but they are best answered by demo-ing the products- at least I feel like I am walking in the right direction now.

I have come to realize that what i want is a very spontaneous on-the-fly composing machine which i guess is best met with a DJ like set-up. The thing is, i am just doing this for personal fun so I didn't consider DJ type of stuff. Basically, i have the most fun just improvising on a keyboard and I want that experience with beats and samples on the computer. i would also like to mangle samples a little. Like I said- a software version of a hardware sample player. it just took me a day or two of reading and writing with you guys before i figured out who I am musically. Thanks again.
Old 26th September 2012
  #106
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
I want a DAW that is basically a virtual tape recorder. No MIDI, no looping, no virtual instruments, nothing! Just live sounds and nothing else, no cluttered interface. Plug-ins would be good but that is it, which DAW fits this bill and yields a pro result?
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #107
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly_Rogers ➑️
I want a DAW that is basically a virtual tape recorder. No MIDI, no looping, no virtual instruments, nothing! Just live sounds and nothing else, no cluttered interface. Plug-ins would be good but that is it, which DAW fits this bill and yields a pro result?
Basically any DAW would be capable of doing such basic work at pro level.
But if you're going for best interface, then it's either Sonar (most versatile) or Studio One (least cluttered.)
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #108
Lives for gear
 
login's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in SoCal ➑️
I think my first post was an informed opinion. You may like it or not, but it was a honest opinion. Ironic how your post falls exactly into the definition you're describing.
I think it contained many strong opinions instead of facts, that's why it was contested with even more subjective opinions.

Maybe it wasn't your intention.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #109
Lives for gear
 
Paul in SoCal's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➑️
I think it contained many strong opinions instead of facts, that's why it was contested with even more subjective opinions.

Maybe it wasn't your intention.
That has been totally clarified, but looks like you're still trolling for a fight.

Sad.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #110
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly_Rogers ➑️
I want a DAW that is basically a virtual tape recorder. No MIDI, no looping, no virtual instruments, nothing! Just live sounds and nothing else, no cluttered interface. Plug-ins would be good but that is it, which DAW fits this bill and yields a pro result?
You've just described exactly why Pro Tools is our industry standard!

It is NOT based on a MIDI sequencer. Some hate that but many of us love it. It's an audio erector set that you can make do exactly what you want.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #111
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly_Rogers ➑️
I want a DAW that is basically a virtual tape recorder. No MIDI, no looping, no virtual instruments, nothing! Just live sounds and nothing else, no cluttered interface. Plug-ins would be good but that is it, which DAW fits this bill and yields a pro result?
check out SSL Soundscape, it is exactly what you want.

Solid State Logic | Music
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
  #112
Lives for gear
 
Stephen Bennett's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly_Rogers ➑️
I want a DAW that is basically a virtual tape recorder. No MIDI, no looping, no virtual instruments, nothing! Just live sounds and nothing else, no cluttered interface. Plug-ins would be good but that is it, which DAW fits this bill and yields a pro result?
Nuendo Live is pretty much exactly that.

Regards

Stephen
Old 6th October 2013 | Show parent
  #113
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Agree!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyM ➑️
No... Many DAWS outperform PT on different things. It's never been a matter of something better coming along. In many cases, depending on what KIND of work you do, another DAW will have a better workflow. The real reason so many pros use PT and call it "Industry Standard" is the fact that it has been on the market FOREVER so everyone has it and projects will open easily in another studio. Compatibility is the key. Time is money and having to convert a project to a different DAW format is time wasted. Also, I would imagine all those ridiculously expensive HD rigs that cost upwards of 40k a few years ago are hard to let go of. That's my opinion.

Cubase is no PT poser. Logic is no PT poser. Sonar is no PT poser. All the DAWs I have mentioned are wonderful. Calling a non-PT DAW a poser is a bit insecure imo. Native versions of PT are in the same price range as other DAWs and honestly, with current CPU power, HD is not a justified cost anymore. INSANELY expensive vs a powerful native system that is THOUSANDS less.

PT is a FINE DAW. Wonderful software. But there is no need to defend it against other DAWs by calling them posers. It stands on it's own as do they.
Totally agree!!! I have used sonar for years and it's wells beyond it beginnings but ALL daws can be used to make a masterpiece! I have used PT and Cubase, for cubase it was a matter of taste and user interface that's why I dropped it, PT is still a choice but sonar is just a gem IMHO. But it's up to what fits YOU!
Old 6th October 2013 | Show parent
  #114
Lives for gear
 
sam c's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson ➑️
On what planet is this?
I actually read this entire thread, as old as it is. I wonder why Bob's question wasn't answered? His question is in reference to the comment, " Nuendo is the industry standard for post production.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 615074
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 55 views: 32192
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 98 views: 39043
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
replies: 1296 views: 181584
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump